Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers change target of a symbolic link Post 302239462 by fimblo on Tuesday 23rd of September 2008 05:54:46 PM
Old 09-23-2008
wow, thanx Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

symbolic Link

question abt symbolic link ... i'm doing the following ... ln -s x.sh ./scripts/y.sh and cat ./scripts/y.sh it is giving following error cat: cannot open y.sh Any reason u an think of ? But it is working fine when i goto scripts directory and cretae the symbolic link. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhargav
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need some info about symbolic link and hard link

hello folks how y'all doin well i have some questions about symbolic link and hard link hope some one answer me i open terminal and join as root and i wrote ln -s blah blah then i wrote ls i see red file called blah blah but didn't understand what is this can some one explain and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: detective linux
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ZIP a soft / symbolic link target

Hey, How can one ZIP the target of a soft/symbolic link in unix (if dodag@ is a symbolic link for the path car/reno/*.*, how can I zip car/reno/*.*, with using only dodag as my reference)? Thxnk you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: galz
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

symbolic link

Hi, i am trying to create sym links on sles 11 , but it seems i am doing something wrong. oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> pwd /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> ln -s /db/ACIS/dbase/dbf/ /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symbolic Link Help

Hello All, This may be a silly question to some but I am really stuck. Is there a way to reverse the following; sudo rm /bin/sh sudo ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh It was part of a driver compile/installation procedure by Digi for Ubuntu stating that dash isn't supported and a symbolic link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAVco
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls on a symbolic link

Hi all, Can anyone please confirm if the command below is the only way that I can get what the symbolic link is set to? mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$: ls -l | grep "^l" lrwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 28 Aug 9 2011 bdump -> diag/rdbms/posp1/posp1/trace mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible

Hi everybody, I read about treads realted to this issue but they did not resovle issue given below. Please help me resolve issue given below I have html file under /srv/www/htdocs/actual_folder ls actual_folder/ test.html and following link works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change reference of symbolic link

Hello all, I am trying to recursively find symbolic links for a given name find . -type l -name ABC -exec ls -ltr {} \;where ABC refers to /user/fre/crmso/share I want to replace the reference of initial part of directories from /user/fre/crmso to /user1/amx/seamBut want to accomplish... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sethmj
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic link

Hi, trying to understand more about symblic link, when I compiled a program called "match" in one folder ~/downloadsoftware/I want this program to be accessible like a system command by putting a symbolic link in /usr/bin/ Not by setting the $PATH method in .bashrc at this time. What I did is:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving the target of a symbolic link

Hello all, On a Solaris box, I am trying to move the target of a symbolic link. Let's say the symbolic link looks like the following: /dir1/dir2/link -> /some/dir/target I would like to know of a simple way to move the target of the symbolic link and not the link itself. I'd like to move... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
4 Replies
ln(1)							      General Commands Manual							     ln(1)

Name
       ln - link to a file

Syntax
       ln [ -f ] [ -i ] [ -s ] name1 [name2]
       ln [ -f ] [ -i ] [ -s ] name ... directory

Description
       A  link is a directory entry referring to a file.  A file, together with its size and all its protection information may have several links
       to it.  There are two kinds of links: hard links and symbolic links.

By default makes hard links.  A hard link to a file is indistinguishable from the original directory entry.  Any  changes  to  a  file  are
       effective independent of the name used to reference the file.  Hard links may not span file systems and may not refer to directories.

Given  one or two arguments, creates a link to an existing file name1.  If name2 is given, the link has that name.  The name2 may also be a
       directory in which to place the link.  Otherwise it is placed in the current directory.	If only the directory is specified,  the  link	is
       made to the last component of name1.

Given  more  than two arguments, makes links to all the named files in the named directory.  The links made have the same name as the files
       being linked to.

Options
       -f   Forces existing destination pathnames to be removed before linking without prompting for confirmation.

-i   Write a prompt to standard output requesting information for each link that would overwrite an existing file.  If  the  response  from
	    standard input is affirmative, and if permissions allow, the link is done. The -i option has this effect even if the standard input is
	    not a terminal.

-s   Creates a symbolic link.

A symbolic link contains the name of the file to which it is linked.  The referenced file is used when an operation  is  performed	on
	    the  link.	 A  on a symbolic link returns the linked-to file.  An must be done to obtain information about the link.  The call may be
	    used to read the contents of a symbolic link.  Symbolic links may span file systems and may refer to directories.

See Also
       cp(1), mv(1), rm(1), link(2), readlink(2), stat(2), symlink(2)

ln(1)