Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers change target of a symbolic link Post 302239401 by fimblo on Tuesday 23rd of September 2008 02:43:22 PM
Old 09-23-2008
Very interested to hear fpmurphy's explanation on how to change target of symlink without deleting the symlink first.

I normally delete the symlink and re-create it on one line, minimizing the time the link does not exist:

rm mysymlink ; ln -s mytargetfile mysymlink

I suppose you could write a little hack which does it in one go, but I've never heard of one which is included in standard POSIX systems...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

symbolic Link

question abt symbolic link ... i'm doing the following ... ln -s x.sh ./scripts/y.sh and cat ./scripts/y.sh it is giving following error cat: cannot open y.sh Any reason u an think of ? But it is working fine when i goto scripts directory and cretae the symbolic link. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhargav
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need some info about symbolic link and hard link

hello folks how y'all doin well i have some questions about symbolic link and hard link hope some one answer me i open terminal and join as root and i wrote ln -s blah blah then i wrote ls i see red file called blah blah but didn't understand what is this can some one explain and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: detective linux
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ZIP a soft / symbolic link target

Hey, How can one ZIP the target of a soft/symbolic link in unix (if dodag@ is a symbolic link for the path car/reno/*.*, how can I zip car/reno/*.*, with using only dodag as my reference)? Thxnk you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: galz
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

symbolic link

Hi, i am trying to create sym links on sles 11 , but it seems i am doing something wrong. oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> pwd /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> ln -s /db/ACIS/dbase/dbf/ /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symbolic Link Help

Hello All, This may be a silly question to some but I am really stuck. Is there a way to reverse the following; sudo rm /bin/sh sudo ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh It was part of a driver compile/installation procedure by Digi for Ubuntu stating that dash isn't supported and a symbolic link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAVco
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls on a symbolic link

Hi all, Can anyone please confirm if the command below is the only way that I can get what the symbolic link is set to? mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$: ls -l | grep "^l" lrwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 28 Aug 9 2011 bdump -> diag/rdbms/posp1/posp1/trace mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible

Hi everybody, I read about treads realted to this issue but they did not resovle issue given below. Please help me resolve issue given below I have html file under /srv/www/htdocs/actual_folder ls actual_folder/ test.html and following link works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change reference of symbolic link

Hello all, I am trying to recursively find symbolic links for a given name find . -type l -name ABC -exec ls -ltr {} \;where ABC refers to /user/fre/crmso/share I want to replace the reference of initial part of directories from /user/fre/crmso to /user1/amx/seamBut want to accomplish... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sethmj
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic link

Hi, trying to understand more about symblic link, when I compiled a program called "match" in one folder ~/downloadsoftware/I want this program to be accessible like a system command by putting a symbolic link in /usr/bin/ Not by setting the $PATH method in .bashrc at this time. What I did is:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving the target of a symbolic link

Hello all, On a Solaris box, I am trying to move the target of a symbolic link. Let's say the symbolic link looks like the following: /dir1/dir2/link -> /some/dir/target I would like to know of a simple way to move the target of the symbolic link and not the link itself. I'd like to move... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
4 Replies
updatehome(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    updatehome(1M)

NAME
updatehome - update the home directory copy and link files for the current label SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/updatehome [-cirs] DESCRIPTION
updatehome reads the user's minimum-label copy and link-control files (.copy_files and .link_files). These files contain a list of files to be copied and symbolically linked from the user's minimum-label home directory to the user's home directory at the current label. The Solaris Trusted Extensions dtsession program performs an updatehome whenever a newly labeled workspace is created so that the user's favorite files are available for use. For example, the user probably wants a symbolic link to such files as .profile, .login, .cshrc, .exrc, .mailrc, and ~/bin. The updatehome command provides a convenient mechanism for accomplishing this symlink. The user can add files to those to be copied (.copy_files) and to those to be symbolically linked (.link_files). OPTIONS
-c Replace existing home-directory copies at the current label. The default is to skip over existing copies. -i Ignore errors encountered. The default aborts on error. -r Replace existing home-directory copies or symbolic links at the current label. This option implies options -c and -s. The default is to skip over existing copies or symbolic links. -s Replace existing home-directory symbolic links at the current label. The default is to skip over existing symbolic links. EXIT STATUS
Upon success, updatehome returns 0. Upon failure, updatehome returns 1 and writes diagnostic messages to standard error. EXAMPLES
Example 1 A Sample .copy_files File The files that are listed in .copy_files can be modified at every user's label. .cshrc .mailrc .mozilla/bookmarks.html Example 2 A Sample .link_files File The files that are listed in .link_files can be modified at the lowest label. The changes propagate to the other labels that are available to the user. ~/bin .mozilla/preferences .xrc .rhosts Example 3 Updating the Linked and Copied Files The .copy_files and .link_files were updated by the user at the minimum label. At a higher label, the user refreshes the copies and the links. No privileges are required to run the command. % updatehome -r FILES
$HOME/.copy_files List of files to be copied $HOME/.link_files List of files to be symbolically linked ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWtsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) .copy_files and .link_files Files in Solaris Trusted Extensions Administrator's Procedures NOTES
The functionality described on this manual page is available only if the system is configured with Trusted Extensions. SunOS 5.11 20 Jul 2007 updatehome(1M)