Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Is there a command to get the owner of a file? Post 302235883 by frank_rizzo on Saturday 13th of September 2008 02:20:54 PM
Old 09-13-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge
Well yes, I get the impression that people actually know what they're talking about here and are not in the habit of spreading misinformation.
fyi - the stat command is not standard and does not exist on all UNIX variants. for example - AIX uses the istat command.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Owner of file gets 'not owner' error for chgrp

Hi Folks, I know that changing users and groups is pretty basic admin, but this one has got me stumped. When I try to change the group of a file for which I am the owner for, it still gives me a 'Not owner' error. For example, when I am logged in as 'webadmin', I have the following file: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brizrobbo
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to extract owner from find command

hi how can I extract the owner of the file from the find command that I used below find /home -type f -atime +5 I tried something like this but didnt work. find /home -type f -atime +5 -ls |cut -f5 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command to find the files under particular owner

Hi, I need a command to find a files under particular owner ?All the files in the system for the particular user id is the owner? Please help me on this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayaramanit
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to know owner of a file without ls and find command

How to know owner of a file without ls and find command :p (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swat
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How UNIX admin set up this? how files of 744 of other owner can be removed by another owner?

Hi all, We have some files are under 744 permissions and the the owner is say owner1 and group1. Now we have another user owner2 of group2, owner2 can remove files of the owner1 and the permission of those files are 744, unix admin told us he did some config at his side so we can do that. ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGunMan
14 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

command to find the owner of a db

Hi, Im working with an Informix db, i would like to know the command to identify the owner of a particular database Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvah
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

rm/mv command - not owner

Hi, I have two users, either of them can create a file. Either of them should be able to move/remove the file. When trying to do that I am getting error "Not owner". I have many times seen that we could "rm" or atleast "mv" even if the user is not the owner of the file. Does this have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Privileges : modify dir/file owner by other that's not owner

i need to do the following operations in solaris 10: 1.change owner and group owner for files which are not owned by the current user and user group 2.to can delete files in the /tmp directory which are not of the current user 3. allow to a standard user the deletion of files in the /tmp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sirmark
1 Replies

9. AIX

Command or script to inform server owner about process

Hi all, How to inform server owner if the particular process is down. I need command or script to do the above. TIA (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumanthupar
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX command to display Owner,Group,Root and Subdirectories list

Hi Team, Am a newbie to Unix. As I would like to see the Server Name,Owner Name ( not numeric form), Group Name ( not numeric ID), ROOT path. I would like to send this list as an attachment to my personal mail. Can any one please help me out to to resolve this . Here is the sample result... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuvv
6 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)