Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find but exclude directories
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find but exclude directories Post 302235240 by radoulov on Thursday 11th of September 2008 12:09:50 PM
Old 09-11-2008
You're missing the print switch (see my post).

You can check the wholename switch also, if your find supports it.

Last edited by radoulov; 09-11-2008 at 01:18 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

GNUTAR exclude directories

Hi, Can anyone help me with the following: I want to make a backup from my (AIX) system. But I don't want to backup a couple of temp-directories. I tried it with the X-option, but that didn't work. I hope that someone can help me. Thanks in advance. Corine (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheBlueLady
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command to exclude directories

Howdy I have this directory structure ... eep eepaptest eepfatest eepgltest eep.old eeppoptest ehf ehfaptest ehfgltest ehp ehpgltest I want to find files in these directories, but I want to exclude eep, ehf & ehp. Cany anyone help with the correct command ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmurfGGM
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Exclude multiple directories from find command?

Hi, Can some one help me how to exclude multiple directories using find command.. I have the directory structure below. /a/a1/b1 /a/c1/c2 /a/d1/d2/d3 I want to exlcude a1,c2and d3 from the above using find,can some one suggest pls.. thanks in advance... Use code tags... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagadish_gaddam
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - Find command to exclude sub-directories

Hi Forum. I'm trying to write a script that finds and deletes files that are older than 300 days. The script will read a table that contains the following 3 columns: 1st col: “Y” means sub-directory scan; "N" means no subdirectory scan 2nd col: sub-directory location 3rd col: File prefix... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to exclude the empty directories

Hi., I have a script, in which I am processing a files present in the directory types. ls -lrt | grep ^d | grep Dir_type | awk -f '{print $9}' |\ while read dir_name; do #operations done where Dir_type is the pattern in which directories get created. How to filter out empty... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IND123
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command to exclude directories and setup alias or script?

Hi, Firstly - sorry for the duplicate my other post looked like i was posting a how to for people. But i am wanting some help :P I want to search from / to find files and exclude my mounted ntfs drives. I have found this thread (Which I can't post the URL to until i have 5 posts) it's... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mightymouse2045
4 Replies

7. Ubuntu

[Solved] Using Find with an exclude/exclude file

I am familiar with using tar and exclude/include files: tar zcf backup.dirs.tgz --files-from=include.mydirs --exclude-from=exclude.mydirs --no-recursion but was wondering if I could use find in the same way. I know that you can just specify the directories to exclude but my list is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global Pattern - exclude directories

All, I am trying delete folder by adding pattern not to delete certain folders. But i struck with error. When i use below command from command line, it works fine. shopt -s extglob rm -rf !(test1|test2|test3) But when i use the same in shell script, i get the below error. syntax... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude directories in FIND command

Can you please help tweak the below command to exclude all directories with the name "logs" and "tmp" find . -type f \( ! -name "*.tar*" ! -name "*.bkp*" \) -exec /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -i "user_1" /dev/null {} + >result.out bash-3.2$ uname -a SunOS mymac 5.10 Generic_150400-26 sun4v sparc sun4v... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies
bup-drecurse(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   bup-drecurse(1)

NAME
bup-drecurse - recursively list files in your filesystem SYNOPSIS
bup drecurse [-x] [-q] [--exclude path] [--exclude-from filename] [--profile] <path> DESCRIPTION
bup drecurse traverses files in the filesystem in a way similar to find(1). In most cases, you should use find(1) instead. This program is useful mainly for testing the file traversal algorithm used in bup-index(1). Note that filenames are returned in reverse alphabetical order, as in bup-index(1). This is important because you can't generate the hash of a parent directory until you have generated the hashes of all its children. When listing files in reverse order, the parent directory will come after its children, making this easy. OPTIONS
-x, --xdev, --one-file-system don't cross filesystem boundaries. -q, --quiet don't print filenames as they are encountered. Useful when testing performance of the traversal algorithms. --exclude=path a path to exclude from the backup (can be used more than once) --exclude-from=filename a file that contains exclude paths (can be used more than once) --profile print profiling information upon completion. Useful when testing performance of the traversal algorithms. EXAMPLE
bup drecurse -x / SEE ALSO
bup-index(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-drecurse(1)