Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find but exclude directories
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find but exclude directories Post 302235219 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 11th of September 2008 11:05:01 AM
Old 09-11-2008
add this:
Code:
   ! -name '/hary/temp/cache/*'

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

GNUTAR exclude directories

Hi, Can anyone help me with the following: I want to make a backup from my (AIX) system. But I don't want to backup a couple of temp-directories. I tried it with the X-option, but that didn't work. I hope that someone can help me. Thanks in advance. Corine (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheBlueLady
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command to exclude directories

Howdy I have this directory structure ... eep eepaptest eepfatest eepgltest eep.old eeppoptest ehf ehfaptest ehfgltest ehp ehpgltest I want to find files in these directories, but I want to exclude eep, ehf & ehp. Cany anyone help with the correct command ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SmurfGGM
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Exclude multiple directories from find command?

Hi, Can some one help me how to exclude multiple directories using find command.. I have the directory structure below. /a/a1/b1 /a/c1/c2 /a/d1/d2/d3 I want to exlcude a1,c2and d3 from the above using find,can some one suggest pls.. thanks in advance... Use code tags... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagadish_gaddam
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - Find command to exclude sub-directories

Hi Forum. I'm trying to write a script that finds and deletes files that are older than 300 days. The script will read a table that contains the following 3 columns: 1st col: “Y” means sub-directory scan; "N" means no subdirectory scan 2nd col: sub-directory location 3rd col: File prefix... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to exclude the empty directories

Hi., I have a script, in which I am processing a files present in the directory types. ls -lrt | grep ^d | grep Dir_type | awk -f '{print $9}' |\ while read dir_name; do #operations done where Dir_type is the pattern in which directories get created. How to filter out empty... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IND123
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command to exclude directories and setup alias or script?

Hi, Firstly - sorry for the duplicate my other post looked like i was posting a how to for people. But i am wanting some help :P I want to search from / to find files and exclude my mounted ntfs drives. I have found this thread (Which I can't post the URL to until i have 5 posts) it's... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mightymouse2045
4 Replies

7. Ubuntu

[Solved] Using Find with an exclude/exclude file

I am familiar with using tar and exclude/include files: tar zcf backup.dirs.tgz --files-from=include.mydirs --exclude-from=exclude.mydirs --no-recursion but was wondering if I could use find in the same way. I know that you can just specify the directories to exclude but my list is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Global Pattern - exclude directories

All, I am trying delete folder by adding pattern not to delete certain folders. But i struck with error. When i use below command from command line, it works fine. shopt -s extglob rm -rf !(test1|test2|test3) But when i use the same in shell script, i get the below error. syntax... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude directories in FIND command

Can you please help tweak the below command to exclude all directories with the name "logs" and "tmp" find . -type f \( ! -name "*.tar*" ! -name "*.bkp*" \) -exec /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -i "user_1" /dev/null {} + >result.out bash-3.2$ uname -a SunOS mymac 5.10 Generic_150400-26 sun4v sparc sun4v... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
9 Replies
ARP(8)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							    ARP(8)

NAME
arp - manipulate the system ARP cache SYNOPSIS
arp [-vn] [-H type] [-i if] -a [hostname] arp [-v] [-i if] -d hostname [pub] arp [-v] [-H type] [-i if] -s hostname hw_addr [temp] arp [-v] [-H type] [-i if] -s hostname hw_addr [netmask nm] pub arp [-v] [-H type] [-i if] -Ds hostname ifa [netmask nm] pub arp [-vnD] [-H type] [-i if] -f [filename] DESCRIPTION
Arp manipulates the kernel's ARP cache in various ways. The primary options are clearing an address mapping entry and manually setting up one. For debugging purposes, the arp program also allows a complete dump of the ARP cache. OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Tell the user what is going on by being verbose. -n, --numeric shows numerical addresses instead of trying to determine symbolic host, port or user names. -H type, --hw-type type When setting or reading the ARP cache, this optional parameter tells arp which class of entries it should check for. The default value of this parameter is ether (i.e. hardware code 0x01 for IEEE 802.3 10Mbps Ethernet). Other values might include network tech- nologies such as ARCnet (arcnet) , PROnet (pronet) , AX.25 (ax25) and NET/ROM (netrom). -a [hostname], --display [hostname] Shows the entries of the specified hosts. If the hostname parameter is not used, all entries will be displayed. -d hostname, --delete hostname Remove any entry for the specified host. This can be used if the indicated host is brought down, for example. -D, --use-device Use the interface ifa's hardware address. -i If, --device If Select an interface. When dumping the ARP cache only entries matching the specified interface will be printed. When setting a perma- nent or temp ARP entry this interface will be associated with the entry; if this option is not used, the kernel will guess based on the routing table. For pub entries the specified interface is the interface on which ARP requests will be answered. NOTE: This has to be different from the interface to which the IP datagrams will be routed. -s hostname hw_addr, --set hostname Manually create an ARP address mapping entry for host hostname with hardware address set to hw_addr class, but for most classes one can assume that the usual presentation can be used. For the Ethernet class, this is 6 bytes in hexadecimal, separated by colons. When adding proxy arp entries (that is those with the publish flag set a netmask may be specified to proxy arp for entire subnets. This is not good practice, but is supported by older kernels because it can be useful. If the temp flag is not supplied entries will be permanent stored into the ARP cache. NOTE: As of kernel 2.2.0 it is no longer possible to set an ARP entry for an entire subnet. Linux instead does automagic proxy arp when a route exists and it is forwarding. See arp(7) for details. -f filename, --file filename Similar to the -s option, only this time the address info is taken from file filename set up. The name of the data file is very often /etc/ethers, but this is not official. If no filename is specified /etc/ethers is used as default. The format of the file is simple; it only contains ASCII text lines with a hostname, and a hardware address separated by whitespace. Additionally the pub, temp and netmask flags can be used. In all places where a hostname is expected, one can also enter an IP address in dotted-decimal notation. As a special case for compatibility the order of the hostname and the hardware address can be exchanged. Each complete entry in the ARP cache will be marked with the C flag. Permanent entries are marked with M and published entries have the P flag. FILES
/proc/net/arp, /etc/networks /etc/hosts /etc/ethers SEE ALSO
rarp(8), route(8), ifconfig(8), netstat(8) AUTHORS
Fred N. van Kempen, <waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org> with a lot of improvements from net-tools Maintainer Bernd Eckenfels <net- tools@lina.inka.de>. net-tools 5 Jan 1999 ARP(8)