Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find exact string
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Find exact string Post 302234582 by Swapna173 on Wednesday 10th of September 2008 01:24:49 AM
Old 09-10-2008
Exact match

Sorry i made a mistake mine is a comma separated file, so i need to print col2 corresponding to search in col1. and will this one match the exact string means not the substring of a string

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Find an exact string

Hii,., Can some one guide me ...how to find a exact word or string using "grep" not a part of some other string. say if i need 321 it should not give me 3210 nor 1321 it should only give me line containing string 321 Thanks and Regards, Joy (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8pals
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the find command to find exact dir from the root

I want to find a dir called STOP from the root.so what is the find command. Thanks & Regards Rajkumar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajkumar_g
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use grep to get an exact string?

Hi there, I've search this forum and find this problem could have been solved by, grep -ho "num=*" input_data The input_data is, 1\11\num1=100\num2=200\newnum1=220\\@ however, what I have got is , num1=100 num1=220 how to get the exact string, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: liuzhencc
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

foreach with exact string

Hello, I have the following foreach loop in a csh script: foreach f ( example good example) cat $n | grep $f END And I would like to grep "example" and "good example", the problem is that when I add " to the foreach loop it doesn't work well and looks for good and then example. How can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moyzZ
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed find exact string and delete line with variable

All, I am trying to read in a variable and search a file then delete based on that string, but i want to match exact word. This works but it matches all, i don't want to match anthing that contains the string, just the exact string. sed -i "/$feedname/d" file I tried sed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markdjones82
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

QUESTION1: grep only exact string. QUESTION2: find and replace only exact value with sed

QUESTION1: How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1 CAR2_KEY0 CAR2_KEY1 CAR1_KEY10 CURRENT COMMAND LINE: WHERE VARIABLE CAR_NUMBER=1 AND KEY_NUMBER=1 grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thibodc
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep exact string from files and write to filename when string present in file

I am attempting to grep an exact string from a series of files within a directory and append that output to the filename when it is present in the file. I've been after this all day with no luck. Thanks for your help in advance :wall:. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JC_1
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep exact string from main string

Hi , am getting output file, it sontains the below values. ./hawk_DOM1_FIRST_ENV ./hawk_DOM2_SECOND_ENV ./hawk_DOM3_THIRD_ENV Now I need to grep the word "DOM1_FIRST_ENV","DOM2_SECOND_ENV" like that. I tired with cut -d "_". Its not working with any deleimiter. Can you please help to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckchelladurai
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help match the exact string

I just want to match "binutils1_test" only, and print the match line only lyang001@lyang001-OptiPlex-9010:/tmp$ cat file zbinutils1_test bbinutils1_test binutils1_test w-binutils1_test lyang001@lyang001-OptiPlex-9010:/tmp$ cat file |grep -w 'binutils1_test' ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep to find an exact string

Hi all, I tried searching the forum for this, and I read numerous suggestions here and even on other forums, and I cannot get this to want the way that I need it to. I tried grep -W / -f to no luck. Here is what I have. I have a list of file names- FILE1-FILE1TEST,FILE1RELATION... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
7 Replies
PKILL(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  PKILL(1)

NAME
pkill -- find or signal processes by name SYNOPSIS
pgrep [-filnvx] [-d delim] [-G gid] [-g pgrp] [-P ppid] [-s sid] [-t tty] [-U uid] [-u euid] pattern ... pkill [-signal] [-filnvx] [-G gid] [-g pgrp] [-P ppid] [-s sid] [-t tty] [-U uid] [-u euid] pattern ... prenice [-l] priority pattern ... DESCRIPTION
The pgrep command searches the process table on the running system and prints the process IDs of all processes that match the criteria given on the command line. The pkill command searches the process table on the running system and signals all processes that match the criteria given on the command line. The prenice command searches the process table on the running system and sets the priority of all processes that match the criteria given on the command line. The following options are available for pkill and pgrep: -d delim Specify a delimiter to be printed between each process ID. The default is a newline. This option can only be used with the pgrep command. -f Match against full argument lists. The default is to match against process names. -G gid Restrict matches to processes with a real group ID in the comma-separated list gid. -g pgrp Restrict matches to processes with a process group ID in the comma-separated list pgrp. The value zero is taken to mean the process group ID of the running pgrep or pkill command. -i Ignore case distinctions in both the process table and the supplied pattern. -l Long output. Print the process name in addition to the process ID for each matching process. If used in conjunction with -f, print the process ID and the full argument list for each matching process. -n Match only the most recently created process, if any. -P ppid Restrict matches to processes with a parent process ID in the comma-separated list ppid. -s sid Restrict matches to processes with a session ID in the comma-separated list sid. The value zero is taken to mean the session ID of the running pgrep or pkill command. -t tty Restrict matches to processes associated with a terminal in the comma-separated list tty. Terminal names may be specified as a fully qualified path, in the form 'ttyXX', or 'pts/N', (where XX is any pair of letters, and N is a number), or the shortened forms 'XX' or 'N'. A single dash ('-') matches processes not associated with a terminal. -U uid Restrict matches to processes with a real user ID in the comma-separated list uid. -u euid Restrict matches to processes with an effective user ID in the comma-separated list euid. -v Reverse the sense of the matching; display processes that do not match the given criteria. -x Require an exact match of the process name, or argument list if -f is given. The default is to match any substring. -signal A non-negative decimal number or symbolic signal name specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. This option is valid only when given as the first argument to pkill. The -l flag is also availale for prenice. Note that a running pgrep or pkill process will never consider itself or system processes (kernel threads) as a potential match. EXIT STATUS
pgrep, pkill, and prenice return one of the following values upon exit: 0 One or more processes were matched. 1 No processes were matched. 2 Invalid options were specified on the command line. 3 An internal error occurred. SEE ALSO
grep(1), kill(1), ps(1), kill(2), sigaction(2), re_format(7), signal(7), renice(8) HISTORY
pkill and pgrep first appeared in NetBSD 1.6. They are modelled after utilities of the same name that appeared in Sun Solaris 7. prenice was introduced in NetBSD 6.0. BSD
December 7, 2010 BSD