Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Defunct Processes
Operating Systems AIX Defunct Processes Post 302234429 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 9th of September 2008 04:26:15 PM
Old 09-09-2008
Like bakunin - I would suggest something that may not sit well either. If it started recently, the first and only place to look is at:

patches, upgrades, or new software

added to the system about just before the problem started.

Any new/updated cron entries, or new/updated scripts that run under "at" also need to be checked out. If you allow any of these on your system.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

<DEFUNCT> Processes

When I ps -ef I see about 3 or 4 <DEFUNCT> things - what are these, and what causes them? Are they a concern? How can I fix them? Thanks, Michael (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cuppjr
4 Replies

2. Programming

defunct process!!

how can i assure that daemon process which is being run as init child,can be removed immediately from system when it goes defunct or to avoid daemon process becoming defunt? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rish2005
5 Replies

3. Solaris

how do I kill defunct processes?

mqm 17700 16815 0 0:00 <defunct> kill -9 does not work, even as root (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about defunct processes

Hey guys/gals. I am new to the site and fairly new to Unix/Linux. I have a master netbackup server (solaris) that I get pinged on occasionally regarding defunct processes. (Usually over 50 or so of them.) I know what a defunct process is, but what is it a product of? Just plain sloppy code? (From... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EMCSANMAN
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

whats the difference between zombie orpha and defunct processes

can some one please explain zombie orphan defunct and how they r related (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Abnormal behaviour of Defunct processes.

Hi All, Sorry to bother you all if my query is silly. Can you please clarify my doubts on defunct processes. Actually coming to the scenario, i have a server which is under cluster environment. Server B is having problems with the defunct process. There was a cron scheduled on Server B which... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddybs
0 Replies

7. HP-UX

Defunct processes are getting generated

Dear Sir / Madam, We have two socket programs which are running in background. These two socket programs are creating defunct processes in HP-UX which were not happening in Compaq True64 UNIX. What is the root cause of these defunct processes and how can we correct it? Your suggestion will be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcsahoo
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

defunct processes?

HiI had a tool fail recently, on analysis I found it was cleaning up orphaned directories that had been created by specific processes that had died for some reason, thus failing to clean up after themselves.The directories were of the form /dir.pid. The tool would look to see if any instances of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
2 Replies

9. HP-UX

Defunct Processes; Maximum Process

I'd like to remove this defunct processes without rebooting. Or, I could remove this defuncts when the maximum allowable process is nearly reached, then send an email to the user/team. How can I determine the maximum allowable process that a server can handle? Any thoughts? Jin@PRODUCTION: >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jin_
3 Replies

10. HP-UX

How to clear defunct processes??

How to find out and clear the 'defunct' processes at OS and DB level ..?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SurajR
6 Replies
queuedefs(4)							   File Formats 						      queuedefs(4)

NAME
queuedefs - queue description file for at, batch, and cron SYNOPSIS
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs DESCRIPTION
The queuedefs file describes the characteristics of the queues managed by cron(1M). Each non-comment line in this file describes one queue. The format of the lines are as follows: q.[njobj][nicen][nwaitw] The fields in this line are: q The name of the queue. a is the default queue for jobs started by at(1); b is the default queue for jobs started by batch (see at(1)); c is the default queue for jobs run from a crontab(1) file. njob The maximum number of jobs that can be run simultaneously in that queue; if more than njob jobs are ready to run, only the first njob jobs will be run, and the others will be run as jobs that are currently running terminate. The default value is 100. nice The nice(1) value to give to all jobs in that queue that are not run with a user ID of super-user. The default value is 2. nwait The number of seconds to wait before rescheduling a job that was deferred because more than njob jobs were running in that job's queue, or because the system-wide limit of jobs executing has been reached. The default value is 60. Lines beginning with # are comments, and are ignored. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample file. # # a.4j1n b.2j2n90w This file specifies that the a queue, for at jobs, can have up to 4 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice value of 1. As no nwait value was given, if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. The b queue, for batch(1) jobs, can have up to 2 jobs running simultaneously; those jobs will be run with a nice(1) value of 2. If a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running, cron(1M) will wait 90 seconds before trying again to run it. All other queues can have up to 100 jobs running simultaneously; they will be run with a nice value of 2, and if a job cannot be run because too many other jobs are running cron will wait 60 seconds before trying again to run it. FILES
/etc/cron.d/queuedefs queue description file for at, batch, and cron. SEE ALSO
at(1), crontab(1), nice(1), cron(1M) SunOS 5.10 1 Mar 1994 queuedefs(4)