Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed & awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed & awk Post 302233724 by matrixmadhan on Monday 8th of September 2008 09:31:02 AM
Old 09-08-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdog74
if you want to choose 1 between the 2 , then learn awk.
I would suggest both are important assuming that perl is not in the choice list, had perl been there in the list it would do everything Smilie

I feel its quite easier with sed to regex, information extraction etc.

Just my 2 cents Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed & awk help...

I have a question. Take the following statement awk -F\| '{print $21}' testfile | sed 's/\//\\/g' > newfile This will grab the 21st column of a | delimited text file, replace the forward slashes "/" , with back slashes "\", and redirect the output newfile. Now, how do I get the output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shimb0
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk & sed problem

Hello, I am new to shell scripting. I want to optimize my one of the script. I have one file and i want to remove selected zones for domains from that file.In this file i have almost 3500 zones for domains.Sample data for the file.... named.backup... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrbhole
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

New to Sed & Awk

How do I grab the first 10 characters of a line and append it to another empty file? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xgringo
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pattern matching New to Sed & Awk

Hello, Despite reading the Pattern Matching chapter in the O'Reilly Sed & Awk book several times and looking at numerous examples, I cannot seem to get any kind of conditional script to work in my awk scripts! I am able to do the basic awk and grep script to capture the data but when I do with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pg55
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed & awk programming

Hi all, can anyone have sed & awk programming doc..so that to learn it easier.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gk2009
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED/AWK file read & manipulation

I have large number of data files, close to 300 files, lets say all files are same kind and have extension .dat , each file have mulitple lines in it. There is a unique line in each file containing string 'SERVER'. Right after this line there is another line which contain a string 'DIGIT=0',... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sal_tx
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk & sed

Hi, Can anyone let me know the difference between awk and sed utilities in Unix? Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk & sed query for output

Hello, I have a file. its content are like below. mdn:87439842 imsi:23082038203 Ctime:12082010 01:20:10 mdn:9324783783 imsi:402349823322 Ctime: 12072010 01:20:10 mdn:87439842 imsi:23082038203 Ctime: 23072010 01:20:10 mdn:87439842 imsi:23082038203 Ctime:18072010 01:20:10 mdn:87439842... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanket11
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed & awk Book

Hi Experts, I am studying SED and AWK text processing commands with an E-book. I am not satisfied with the way of explanation and examples given by them. I would like you guys to suggest me the Best book for SED and AWK to become good in this utility. Thanks in Advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxrulez
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print & and \n while replacing with sed/awk?

string="din&esh\nisgood" File.txt: the name is sed "s#\#${string}#g" File.txt Output am getting: the name is dinesh is good Expected output: the name is din&esh\nisgood The input string is dynamic it will be keep on changing am able to handle & by placing \& in the string.. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshaila
5 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)