Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Multiple Line search using grep Post 302232934 by era on Friday 5th of September 2008 02:50:22 PM
Old 09-05-2008
Sed has two "registers", called the "hold space" and the "pattern space". Normally the current input line is in the pattern space. The script copies the current line to the hold space if it sees "50" at beginning of line, and prints the hold space and the pattern space when it sees "4142 " at beginning of line.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple search with grep

is it possible to execute multiple search with grep??? grep criteria1 criteria2 file something like this... I know other way: grep pattern1 file-name1 > results-file grep pattern2 file-name1 >> results-file cat results-file but can it be done with one grep???? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search multiple words using grep

Hi frnds i want to desplay file names that should be word1 and word2 ex : i have 10 *.log files 5 files having word1 and word2 5 files having only word1, i have used below command egrep -l 'word1|word2' *.log its giving all 10 files, but i want to display only 5... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: pb18798
20 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple search keyword in grep

Dear All, I have a file containing info like TID:0903 asdfasldjflsdjf TID:0945 hjhjhkhkhkh TID:2045 hjhjhkhkhkh TID:1945 hjhjhkhkhkh TID:2045 hjhjhkhkhkh I need to show only lines containing TID:0903 asdfasldjflsdjf TID:0945 hjhjhkhkhkh TID:2045 hjhjhkhkhkh TID:2045 hjhjhkhkhkh ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: saifurshaon
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple search terms with context

I have a file that is a sort library in the format: ##def title1 content1 stuff1 content2 stuff2 ##enddef ##def title2 etc.. I want to grep def and content and pull some trailing context from content so the result would look something like: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Moe.Wilensky
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whether we can search multiple strings using or in grep -F

Hi, Whether we can search multiple strings using or in grep -F In Generally, grep -F "string1" "filename.txt" How to search for multiple string using grep -F as we using grep grep "string1\|string2" "filename.txt" Regards, Nanthagopal A (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanthagopal
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to grep multiple pattern present in single line and delete that line

here is what i want to achieve.. i have a file with below contents cat fileName blah blah blah . .DROP this REJECT that . --sport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable --dport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable . . . more blah blah blah --dport 3306... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple line search, replace second line, using awk or sed

All, I appreciate any help you can offer here as this is well beyond my grasp of awk/sed... I have an input file similar to: &LOG &LOG Part: "@DB/TC10000021855/--F" &LOG &LOG &LOG Part: "@DB/TC10000021852/--F" &LOG Cloning_Action: RETAIN &LOG Part: "@DB/TCCP000010713/--A" &LOG &LOG... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KarmaPoliceT2
5 Replies

8. Linux

How to search multiple word using grep command?

How to search multiple word using grep command for example i want to reserch ANJ001 AA Using ridiculous font, size, and color changes instead of normal space separated text and CODE tags obfuscates what you are trying to do and makes it difficult for volunteers who may want to help you solve... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: na.dharma
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search words in multiple file line by line

Hi All I have to search servers name say like 1000+ "unique names" line by line in child.txt files in another file that is a master file where all server present say "master.txt",if child.txt's server name matches with master files then it print yes else no with server name. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: netdbaind
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use a grep search to search for a specific string within multiple directories?

Lets say I have a massive directory which is filled with other directories all filled with different c++ scripts and I want a listing of all the scripts that contain the string: "this string". Is there a way to use a grep search for that? I tried: grep -lr "this string" * but I do not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Circuits
3 Replies
sed(1)							      General Commands Manual							    sed(1)

NAME
sed - stream text editor SYNOPSIS
script [file]... script]... script_file]... [file]... DESCRIPTION
copies the named text files (standard input default) to the standard output, edited according to a script containing up to 100 commands. Only complete input lines are processed. Any input text at the end of a file that is not terminated by a new-line character is ignored. Options recognizes the following options: Take script from file script_file. Edit according to script. If there is just one option and no options, the flag can be omitted. Suppress the default output. interprets all and arguments in the order given. Use caution, if mixing and options, to avoid unpredictable or incorrect results. Command Scripts A script consists of editor commands, one per line, of the following form: [address address]] function [arguments] In normal operation, cyclically copies a line of input into a pattern space (unless there is something left after a command), applies in sequence all commands whose addresses select that pattern space, and, at the end of the script, copies the pattern space to the standard output (except under and deletes the pattern space. Some of the commands use a hold space to save all or part of the pattern space for subsequent retrieval. Command Addresses An address is either a decimal number that counts input lines cumulatively across files, a which addresses the last line of input, or a context address; that is, a in the style of ed(1) modified thus: o In a context address, the construction where ? is any character, is identical to Note that in the context address the second stands for itself, so that the regular expression is o The escape sequence matches a new-line character embedded in the pattern space. o A period matches any character except the terminal new-line of the pattern space. o A command line with no addresses selects every pattern space. o A command line with one address selects each pattern space that matches the address. o A command line with two addresses selects the inclusive range from the first pattern space that matches the first address through the next pattern space that matches the second (if the second address is a number less than or equal to the line number first selected, only one line is selected). Thereafter the process is repeated, looking again for the first address. supports Basic Regular Expression syntax (see regexp(5)). Editing commands can also be applied to only non-selected pattern spaces by use of the negation function (described below). Command Functions In the following list of functions, the maximum number of permissible addresses for each function is indicated in parentheses. Other func- tion elements are interpreted as follows: text One or more lines, all but the last of which end with to hide the new-line. Backslashes in text are treated like back- slashes in the replacement string of an command, and can be used to protect initial blanks and tabs against the strip- ping that is done on every script line. rfile Must terminate the command line, and must be preceded by exactly one blank. wfile Must terminate the command line, and must be preceded by exactly one blank. Each wfile is created before processing begins. There can be at most 10 distinct wfile arguments. recognizes the following functions: text Append. Place text on the output before reading next input line. Branch to the command bearing label. If no label is specified, branch to the end of the script. text Change. Delete the pattern space. With 0 or 1 address or at the end of a 2-address range, place text on the output. Start the next cycle. Delete pattern space and start the next cycle. Delete initial segment of pattern space through first new-line and start the next cycle. Replace contents of the pattern space with contents of the hold space. Append contents of hold space to the pattern space. Replace contents of the hold space with contents of the pattern space. Append the contents of the pattern space to the hold space. text Insert. Place text on the standard output. List the pattern space on the standard output in an unambiguous form. Non-printing characters are spelled in three-digit octal number format (with a preceding backslash), and long lines are folded. Copy the pattern space to the standard output if the default output has not been suppressed (by the option on the command line or the command in the script file). Replace the pattern space with the next line of input. Append the next line of input to the pattern space with an embedded new-line. (The current line number changes.) Print. Copy the pattern space to the standard output. Copy the initial segment of the pattern space through the first new-line to the standard output. Quit. Branch to the end of the script. Do not start a new cycle. Read contents of rfile and place on output before reading the next input line. Substitute replacement string for instances of regular expression in the pattern space. Any character can be used instead of For a fuller description see ed(1). flags is zero or more of: n n=1-2048 Substitute for just the nth occurrence of regular expression in the pattern space. Global. Substitute for all non-overlapping instances of regular expression rather than just the first one. Print the pattern space if a replacement was made and the default output has been suppressed (by the option on the command line or the command in the script file). Under the environment (see standards(5)), the pattern space is printed twice, if the option is not specified on the command line. Write. Append the pattern space to wfile if a replacement was made. Test. Branch to the command bearing the label if any substitutions have been made since the most recent reading of an input line or execution of a If label is empty, branch to the end of the script. Write. Append the pattern space to wfile. Exchange the contents of the pattern and hold spaces. Transform. Replace all occurrences of characters in string1 with the corresponding character in string2. The lengths of string1 and string2 must be equal. Any character other than backslash or newline can be used instead of slash to delimit the two strings. If a backslash character is immediately followed by another backslash character in string1 or string2, the two backslash char- acters will be handled as a single literal backslash character. The delimiter itself can be used as a literal character in string1 and string2 if it is preceded by a backslash. The only exception is character "n" as the delimiter, because backslash-n, " ", will be interpreted as a newline. The meaning of a backslash is undefined if it is followed by any character that is not "n", a backslash, or the delimiter char- acter. Don't. Apply the function (or group, if function is only to lines selected by the address or addresses. This command does nothing; it bears a label for and commands to branch to. Place the current line number on the standard output as a line. Execute the following commands through a matching only when the pattern space is selected. The syntax is: (0) An empty command is ignored. If a appears as the first character on the first line of a script file, that entire line is treated as a comment with one exception: If the character after the is an the default output is suppressed. The rest of the line after is also ignored. A script file must contain at least one non-comment line. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
For information about the UNIX Standard environment, see standards(5). Environment Variables provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If is unset or null, the default value of "C" (see lang(5)) is used. If any of the internationalization variables contains an invalid setting, will behave as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. determines the interpretation of text as single and/or multi-byte characters, the classification of characters as printable, and the char- acters matched by character class expressions in regular expressions. determines the locale that should be used to affect the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error and informa- tive messages written to standard output. determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
Make a simple substitution in a file from the command line or from a shell script, changing to Same as above but use shell or environment variables and in search and replacement strings: or Multiple substitutions in a single command: or WARNINGS
limits command scripts to a total of not more than 100 commands. The hold space is limited to 8192 characters. processes only text files. See the glossary for a definition of text files and their limitations. AUTHOR
was developed by OSF and HP. SEE ALSO
awk(1), ed(1), grep(1), environ(5), lang(5), regexp(5), standards(5). tutorial in the STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
sed(1)