Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check if 2 files are identical byte-to-byte? Post 302232148 by dennis.jacob on Thursday 4th of September 2008 01:37:24 AM
Old 09-04-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by krishmaths
cksum works fine. I tried on test files. Thanks dj.

Just curious to know if there are any more methods.
Code:
cmp -l file1 file2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

shell script to find zero byte files

I have a directory MYDIR In which i have several directories 1,2,3,4.... Now, In each of these directories i have several files a.dat, b.dat, c.dat, d.dat..... MYDIR ----1 ---------a.dat ---------b.dat ---------c.dat ---------d.dat ----2 ---------a.dat ---------b.dat ---------c.dat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with 0 byte and large files

how to remove all zero byte files in a particular directory and also files that are morew than 1GB. pLEASE let me know (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

row count of all files with more than 0 byte

Hi, Is there any way to get count number of lines in all files which have more than o bytes in current directory for example : in /user/sri/ there are 3 files abc 0 bytes def 5 bytes ghi 10 bytes i need to get wc -l for all files which have > 0 bytes at a time ..is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sri2005
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding 0 byte files in current directory only

Hi Gurus, I have a directory A, which has some 0 byte files in it. This directory also has a subdirectory B which also has some 0 byte files in it. The problem: I only need to find out the names of the 0 byte files in the directory A. I'm using the following command find . -name *.zip... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a byte(Last byte from the last line)

Hi All Can anyone please suggest me how to remove the last byte from a falt file .This is from the last line's last BYTE. Please suggest me something. Thank's and regards Vinay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinayrao
1 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Given commands were created as 0 byte files

I were checking few processes running and check what at the files currently I have in my home directory by giving below commands $ ps -ef|grep sleep $ ls -lt | pg after awhile the first column of my commands were created as files given below... -rw-rw-rw- 1 prd 0 Mar 25 09:42 ls... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dateez
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exit status as zero byte files

Hi, In a list of commands executed in a script, how do you make sure that the previous command worked fine? I have a list of awk commands and I want to make sure that the script aborts if any command leaves a zero byte file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: genehunter
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need a shell script to find 0 byte files in 5 servers

Hi..... Thanks for this wonderful forum.... My request: I have toatally 5 unix servers in which many applications are working I need to set a trap to identify 0 byte files if any are created proactively. For example: find /apps/fresco/ -mtime 1 -size 0c –print >>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChandruBala73
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move zero byte files

Hi, I have a requirement to move zero byte files to an archive folder. I have the below script and it works fine if I run it from where the file is present. But when I run the script from different folder, I am getting error that file is not present. Please help. #!/bin/ksh ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prasannag87
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove files having 0 byte or only header

Hi Team, I'm looking for a command which removes files having 0 byte of having only header line (1 line). My ETL process generates these files. Few files are not having header, in that case if no data from source, it will be 0 byte and few files are having header, in that case if no data from... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ace_friends22
7 Replies
XZDIFF(1)							     XZ Utils								 XZDIFF(1)

NAME
xzcmp, xzdiff, lzcmp, lzdiff - compare compressed files SYNOPSIS
xzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] xzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] lzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] lzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] DESCRIPTION
xzcmp and xzdiff invoke cmp(1) or diff(1) on files compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), or lzop(1). All options specified are passed directly to cmp(1) or diff(1). If only one file is specified, then the files compared are file1 (which must have a suffix of a supported compression format) and file1 from which the compression format suffix has been stripped. If two files are specified, then they are uncompressed if necessary and fed to cmp(1) or diff(1). The exit status from cmp(1) or diff(1) is preserved. The names lzcmp and lzdiff are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), lzop(1), zdiff(1) BUGS
Messages from the cmp(1) or diff(1) programs refer to temporary filenames instead of those specified. Tukaani 2011-03-19 XZDIFF(1)