Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: per-process swap usage?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users per-process swap usage? Post 302231537 by bukzor on Tuesday 2nd of September 2008 02:39:14 PM
Old 09-02-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
sar, swapinfo: it would help A LOT if you gave us your OS and architecture.
I looked into sar, and it looks like it gives statistics at the machine level, but not process-specific numbers.

'swapinfo' doesn't appear to be available.

I feel like this should be a simple problem that should be solved by an option to ps, but I can't seem to get it done.

--Buck

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

swap space and cpu usage for an application

Hi, How do i get the swap space used and cpu usage for a particular application ? thanks una (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: una
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

process cpu usage

Trying to come up with a command that will show all processes sorted from highest cpu usage to lowest. Any ideas? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cwsmichigan
9 Replies

3. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Listing processes with swap usage

Is there any way to get list of processes which are taking maximum swap , my system is showing no swap space in /var/adm/messages and i 'm unable to pin down the process which is consuming max swap space. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
11 Replies

5. Solaris

how can i see which process is using how much of swap

hi guys i am new to opensolaris and i have installed opensolaris 2009.6 preview and i would like to know how much swap using each process currently..... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivas2828
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculate swap space usage in Solaris and converts it in Percentage

Hi Folks, I am looking for a way to write a script to calculate swap usage in Solaris so that the current usage will be shown in Percentage value. Thanks!! Based on 'swap -s' command # swap -s total: 1378936k bytes allocated + 1236880k reserved = 2615816k used, 2725104k available (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaapar
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swap usage by top and free command doesn't match

Its rather confusing, the output of top command is below: The "swap" field of top is described by the manpage as: "The swapped out portion of a task's total virtual memory image." But the output of free command suggests something else and it does tally with the output of swapon... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Interesting swap usage

Hi We have 2 identical T4-1's running Solaris 10 8/11 patched to 07/2012. Both have 8G of swap allocated on the zfs root pool however a swap -s on one server shows 8G of swap available but on the other shows between 60 and 115G of swap available. Both servers have the same amount of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregsih
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

Swap memory usage is high in Linux

Hi , There is one following alert . Message : cdm:Average (2 samples) swap memory usage is now 91%, which is above the warning threshold (90%) Here is my findings. Output of TOP command in Linux server. top - 14:21:44 up 6 days, 4:48, 1 user, load average: 2.55, 2.06,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

Swap memory usage keeps increasing.

Hi the version is RedHat 6.2 (Oracle DB server) I don't know why swap memory usage keeps increasing... I used to check swap memory usage Free -m and another way. total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 32183 31861 322 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tom8254
3 Replies
sar(1M) 						  System Administration Commands						   sar(1M)

NAME
sar, sa1, sa2, sadc - system activity report package SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/sa/sadc [t n] [ofile] /usr/lib/sa/sa1 [t n] /usr/lib/sa/sa2 [-aAbcdgkmpqruvwy] [-e time] [-f filename] [-i sec] [-s time] DESCRIPTION
System activity data can be accessed at the special request of a user (see sar(1)) and automatically, on a routine basis, as described here. The operating system contains several counters that are incremented as various system actions occur. These include counters for CPU utilization, buffer usage, disk and tape I/O activity, TTY device activity, switching and system-call activity, file-access, queue activ- ity, inter-process communications, and paging. For more general system statistics, use iostat(1M), sar(1), or vmstat(1M). sadc and two shell procedures, sa1 and sa2, are used to sample, save, and process this data. sadc, the data collector, samples system data n times, with an interval of t seconds between samples, and writes in binary format to ofile or to standard output. The sampling interval t should be greater than 5 seconds; otherwise, the activity of sadc itself may affect the sam- ple. If t and n are omitted, a special record is written. This facility can be used at system boot time, when booting to a multi-user state, to mark the time at which the counters restart from zero. For example, when accounting is enabled, the svc:/system/sar:default ser- vice writes the restart mark to the daily data file using the command entry: su sys -c "/usr/lib/sa/sadc /var/adm/sa/sa'date +%d'" The shell script sa1, a variant of sadc, is used to collect and store data in the binary file /var/adm/sa/sadd, where dd is the current day. The arguments t and n cause records to be written n times at an interval of t seconds, or once if omitted. The following entries in /var/spool/cron/crontabs/sys will produce records every 20 minutes during working hours and hourly otherwise: 0 * * * 0-6 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 20,40 8-17 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 See crontab(1) for details. The shell script sa2, a variant of sar, writes a daily report in the file /var/adm/sa/sardd. See the OPTIONS section in sar(1) for an explanation of the various options. The following entry in /var/spool/cron/crontabs/sys will report important activities hourly during the working day: 5 18 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa2 -s 8:00 -e 18:01 -i 1200 -A FILES
/tmp/sa.adrfl address file /var/adm/sa/sadd Daily data file /var/adm/sa/sardd Daily report file /var/spool/cron/crontabs/sys ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWaccu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
crontab(1), sag(1), sar(1), svcs(1), timex(1), iostat(1M), svcadm(1M), vmstat(1M), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The sar service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/sar Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. SunOS 5.11 20 Aug 2004 sar(1M)