Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting batch shell script to zip individual files in directory - help Post 302230103 by era on Thursday 28th of August 2008 04:07:42 PM
Old 08-28-2008
The problem is that you need to list the files you want to zip on the command line, the script doesn't contain this information. "$@" contains the arguments passed to the script on the command line.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Shell script to Dos batch files

Hi friends! I am having some simple shell script files to build postgresql database and all. Now i want to convert those scripts to dos batch scripts(to run on windows XP/2000/NT) because there is no need of unix emulation for latest release of postgresql. Please somebody help me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: darwinkna
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apply 'awk' to all files in a directory or individual files from a command line

Hi All, I am using the awk command to replace ',' by '\t' (tabs) in a csv file. I would like to apply this to all .csv files in a directory and create .txt files with the tabs. How would I do this in a script? I have the following script called "csvtabs": awk 'BEGIN { FS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScKaSx
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

HOW: Shell script accessing files located in individual logged in user.

Hi I have below scenario, I hope this could be possible, but as of now no idea how to implement this. Mount point in this location /abc/mp, and there will different users who will be executing one the file shell1.sh file located in /abs/mp, but every user will execute this shell1.sh file from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shekharjchandra
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing a batch of files within a shell script with option to refire the individual files in batch

Hello everyone. I am new to shell scripting and i am required to create a shell script, the purpose of which i will explain below. I am on a solaris server btw. Before delving into the requirements, i will give youse an overview of what is currently in place and its purpose. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to zip users cmd history log files

I admit I am terrible with scripting, so when I was asked to store users' command history lines and zip them on monthly basis what I did was to create a file "user_history_Feb" with the following contents: Part A # more user_history_Feb cp -p /var/log/user_history/*history... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to remove zip files from a directory

Hi Folks, There is a job which generates a .zip files every day at /usr/app/generated directory , now please advise for the script that will delete this zip files permanently.but while deleting it should make sure that it will not delete the last two days recently generated zip files and this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: punpun66
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Shell Script in place of Perl script to Unzip the zip files.

Hi Expert, We have some shell scripts which Internally uses Perl Script to Unzip the source zip files which comes to inbound directory. So now our requirement is to avoid the dependency on Perl Script and us Shell Script to unzip the files. I have the Perl script with me attached can some one... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen.dasu
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in batch renaming files with bash shell script.

I have some 50+ files in the following format : abcd_vish_running_ZEBRA_20140818.dat_08-14-2014_23:08:23 abcd_vish_running_ZEB-RA_20140818.dat_08-14-2014_23:08:35 abcd_vish_running_ZEB_RA_20140818.dat_08-14-2014_23:08:37 abcd_vish_running_RI-NG_20140818.dat_08-14-2014_23:08:42... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SriRamKrish
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Applying the same awk over a directory of files with individual file output

I am trying to apply an awk action over multiple files in a directory. It is a simple action, I want to print out the 1st 2 columns (i.e. $1 and $2) in each tab-separated document and output the result in a new file *.pp This is the awk that I have come up with so far, which is not giving me a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to zip csv files having specific pattern in a directory using UNIX shell script?

I have files in a Linux directory . Some of the file is listed below -rw-rw-r--. 1 roots roots 0 Dec 23 02:17 zzz_123_00000_A_1.csv -rw-rw-r--. 1 roots roots 0 Dec 23 02:18 zzz_121_00000_A_2.csv -rw-rw-r--. 1 roots roots 0 Dec 23 02:18 zzz_124_00000_A_3.csv drwxrwxr-x. 2 roots roots 6 Dec 23... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balraj
4 Replies
ZIP_ADD(3)						     Library Functions Manual							ZIP_ADD(3)

NAME
zip_add , - .Nm zip_replace add file to zip archive or replace file in zip archive LIBRARY
libzip (-lzip) SYNOPSIS
#include <zip.h> zip_int64_t zip_add(struct zip *archive, const char *name); "struct zip_source *source" int zip_replace(struct zip *archive, zip_uint64_t index); "struct zip_source *source" DESCRIPTION
The function zip_add adds a file to a zip archive, while zip_replace replaces an existing file in a zip archive. The argument archive specifies the zip archive to which the file should be added. name is the file's name in the zip archive (for zip_add ), while index speci- fies which file should be replaced (for zip_replace ). The data is obtained from the source argument. See the zip_source_* functions cited in SEE ALSO. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, zip_add returns the index of the new file in the archive, and zip_replace returns 0. Otherwise, -1 is returned and the error code in archive is set to indicate the error. EXAMPLES
struct zip_source *s; if ((s=zip_source_buffer(archive, buffer, len)) == NULL || zip_add(archive, name, s) 0) { zip_source_free(s); printf("error adding file: %s0, zip_strerror(archive)); } ERRORS
zip_add and zip_replace fail if: [ZIP_ER_EXISTS] There is already a file called name in the archive. (Only applies to zip_add ). [ZIP_ER_INVAL] source or name are NULL, or index is invalid. [ZIP_ER_MEMORY] Required memory could not be allocated. SEE ALSO
libzip(3), zip_source_file(3), zip_source_filep(3), zip_source_function(3), zip_source_zip(3) AUTHORS
Dieter Baron <dillo@giga.or.at> and Thomas Klausner <tk@giga.or.at> NiH March 10, 2009 ZIP_ADD(3)