Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers assigning (numeric) command output to var tcsh Post 302229974 by joeyg on Thursday 28th of August 2008 09:45:09 AM
Old 08-28-2008
Tools Child returning data to parent

What you are asking is for a child (called) process to return info to parent (master) program. The construct of unix does not allow for this as whatever is learned by the child does not have a way to naturally pass to parent; the reverse is ok, and is often accomplished with an EXPORT command.

Searching this forum will probably provide several creative solutions. Some are:
(a) return the value by way of the exit error parameter of the child back to the parent
(b) have the child write the data to a temporary file that the parent can then read

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning output of command to a variable

Hi, I'm trying to assign the output of a command to a variable and then concat it with another string, however, it keeps overwriting the original string instead of adding on to the end of the string. Contents of test.txt --> This is a test var1="`head -n 1 test.txt`" echo $var1 (This is a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oma04
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning command output to a shell variable

I have the sql file cde.sql with the below contents: abcdefghij abcwhendefothers sdfghj when no one else when others wwhen%others exception when others Now I want to search for the strings containing when others together and ceck whether that does not occur more than once in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kprattip
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning output of command to a variable in shell

hi, I want to assign find command result into some temporary variable: jarPath= find /opt/lotus/notes/ -name $jarFile cho "the jar path $jarPath" where jarPath is temporary variable. Can anybody help on this. Thanks in advance ----Sankar (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankar reddy
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning output of a command to variable

When I run time -p <command>, it outputs: real X.XX user X.XX sys X.XXwhere X.XX is seconds. How I can take just that first number output, the seconds of real time, and assign that to a variable? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeriryan87
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning the output of a command to a variable, where there may be >1 line returned?

Hello I am using unix CLI commands for the Synergy CM software. The command basically searches for a folder ID and returns the names of the projects the folder sits in. The result is assigned to a variable: FIND_USE=`ccm folder -fu -u -f "%name"-"%version" ${FOLDER_ID}` When the command... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Glyn_Mo
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning expression value to tcsh variables

Hi All, I have a tcsh script as: #!/usr/bin/csh -x set packsName=$(awk -F'' '/^execute.*=true/{print $2}' ExecutePacks.config) for var in $packsName do echo "printed $var" done I want to assign the value which is returned by awk function to the variable called packsName. How do I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AB10
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning numeric values to variable

I have a code like this v_num=9 comp_num=39 if then echo "pass" fi echo "end" I am getting an error ksh: v_num=99 comp_num=39 if then echo "pass" fi echo "end" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swayam123
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tcsh command for assigning output of awk to variable

Hi I have a text file with 2 values and I am trying to assign each value to a variable and then write those to text files. So if the textfile is data.txt with 2 values x and y I want to assign mean=x, and stdev=y and then write these out in text files alongwith the id ($id has already been... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: violin
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nawk command to output in var

Hi I have this command, which counts number of lines in a specific file and then prints it on screen.nawk 'NF{c++}END{print "Number of GPS coordinates in file: "c}' $filename I would like to have the output put into a variable, but can't seem to find the correct argument for it. How do I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bulleteyedk
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect - assigning UNIX command output to a variable

Hi, I'm writing a script that connects through ssh (using "expect") and then is supposed to find whether a process on that remote machine is running or not. Here's my code (user, host and password are obviously replaced with real values in actual script): #!/usr/bin/expect set timeout 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oseri
3 Replies
PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)					     Library Functions Manual						 PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)

NAME
pthread_atfork - register handlers to be called at fork(2) time SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_atfork(void (*prepare)(void), void (*parent)(void), void (*child)(void)); DESCRIPTION
pthread_atfork registers handler functions to be called just before and just after a new process is created with fork(2). The prepare han- dler will be called from the parent process, just before the new process is created. The parent handler will be called from the parent process, just before fork(2) returns. The child handler will be called from the child process, just before fork(2) returns. One or several of the three handlers prepare, parent and child can be given as NULL, meaning that no handler needs to be called at the cor- responding point. pthread_atfork can be called several times to install several sets of handlers. At fork(2) time, the prepare handlers are called in LIFO order (last added with pthread_atfork, first called before fork), while the parent and child handlers are called in FIFO order (first added, first called). To understand the purpose of pthread_atfork, recall that fork(2) duplicates the whole memory space, including mutexes in their current locking state, but only the calling thread: other threads are not running in the child process. The mutexes are not usable after the fork and must be initialized with pthread_mutex_init in the child process. This is a limitation of the current implementation and might or might not be present in future versions. RETURN VALUE
pthread_atfork returns 0 on success and a non-zero error code on error. ERRORS
ENOMEM insufficient memory available to register the handlers. AUTHOR
Xavier Leroy <Xavier.Leroy@inria.fr> SEE ALSO
fork(2), pthread_mutex_lock(3), pthread_mutex_unlock(3). LinuxThreads PTHREAD_ATFORK(3)