Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: mount LVM duplication drives
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users mount LVM duplication drives Post 302228291 by builder88 on Saturday 23rd of August 2008 06:33:53 PM
Old 08-23-2008
Like the OP, I also used dd to clone my boot drive. Worked great. Although the effort and knowledge is appreciated, can anyone answer the original question or not? Is it possible to mount the cloned drive when also booting off the drive that was the source (was cloned)?

If impossible, then I suppose the only way to use dd for ongoing backups is to make a full backup every time. I thought other people used dd in combination with incrementals, but apparently not (unless the above question can be answered in affirmative)?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

File Duplication

hi all how to find the file duplication in a windows 2000 server as usual replies are sincerely appreciated. thanks raguram R (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raguramtgr
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how floppy disks, CDs and flash drives (pen drives) are accessed in UNIX

hi how floppy disks, CDs and flash drives (pen drives) are accessed in UNIX? thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nokia1100
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to mount lvm

Hi, I'm stuck in an awkward situation please help I have two identical Seagate 80GB harddrives. My objective is a bit strange. 1.I want to have a cloned disk as bootable backup 2.When booting using the master drive, I also want to mount the cloned backup disk so I can do incremental backup of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: onthetopo
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Unable to mount/find new drives

Hi, I work offshore and we have a system that records excessive amounts of data (Terabytes), therefore we changed the 16 x 400GB drives to 16 x 1TB drives. However, since doing this, upon bootup, the system does not recognize the new drives. These drives are external drives in a chassis which is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shamrocks
5 Replies

5. HP-UX

How to reduce LVM to create another LVM

Hi, I'm new to HP-UX. I have LVM on /var with 92Gig. I would like to reduce it to create another LVM for Oracle client with 800 meg or so. How to do it. I'm running 11.iv3 Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mount Points vs Physical Drives

Hi there i need a way ( some sort of script maybe) to check if a mont point exist when but the physical drive does not for example if i look in / and see that user_data2 directory exist but there is no user_data2 drive. another hurdle would be that some of the machines have raided drives... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert non LVM root partition to LVM?

Hi Guys, I m using redhat 6, I have installed root partition as non-LVM . Is there any way i can convert it to LVM? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

8. Linux

Create LVM of 2 Hard Drives while installing Centos 6.4.

Hello, I have install 2 HDD in my server and now installing the Centos6.4. I want create the LVM of those 2 HDD's so while i'm doing this it is not allowing me to select these 2 disk's from allowable disk list. Same problem if i tried to make Software RAID with creating LVM. Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: purushottamaher
1 Replies

9. Linux

De-Duplication Problem

Hi all, I download and install lessfs for deduplication, I copy files in /SharedFiles directory and lessfs work right and not store again copy files, but, when i delete all files in /SharedFiles , not return free space to total space, files not show in /SharedFiles , but not copy new files in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saeedha
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Line duplication with awk?!

So while this seemed totally trivial it turned out to be much more difficult than I had thought. I have a file with 3 rows, and I "just" want to add each field n number of times. E.g. > cat file.txt 0.5 -0.1 0.6 for n=3 into: cat newfile.txt 0.5 0.5 0.5 -0.1 -0.1 -0.1 0.6 0.6 0.6 I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Glorp
4 Replies
mount_pcfs(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    mount_pcfs(1M)

NAME
mount_pcfs - mount pcfs file systems SYNOPSIS
mount -F pcfs [generic_options] [-o FSType-specific_options] special | mount_point mount -F pcfs [generic_options] [-o FSType-specific_options] special mount_point DESCRIPTION
mount attaches an MS-DOS file system (pcfs) to the file system hierarchy at the mount_point, which is the pathname of a directory. If mount_point has any contents prior to the mount operation, these are hidden until the file system is unmounted. If mount is invoked with special or mount_point as the only arguments, mount will search /etc/vfstab to fill in the missing arguments, including the FSType-specific_options; see mount(1M) for more details. The special argument can be one of two special device file types: o A floppy disk, such as /dev/diskette0 or /dev/diskette1. o A DOS logical drive on a hard disk expressed as device-name:logical-drive , where device-name specifies the special block device-file for the whole disk and logical-drive is either a drive letter (c through z) or a drive number (1 through 24). Examples are /dev/dsk/c0t0d0p0:c and /dev/dsk/c0t0d0p0:1. The special device file type must have a formatted MS-DOS file system with either a 12-bit, 16-bit, or 32-bit File Allocation Table. OPTIONS
generic_options See mount(1M) for the list of supported options. -o Specify pcfs file system specific options. The following options are supported: foldcase|nofoldcase Force uppercase characters in filenames to lowercase when reading them from the filesystem. This is for compatibility with the pre- vious behavior of pcfs. The default is nofoldcase. FILES
/etc/mnttab table of mounted file systems /etc/vfstab list of default parameters for each file system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mount(1M), mountall(1M), mount(2), mnttab(4), vfstab(4), attributes(5), pcfs(7FS) NOTES
If the directory on which a file system is to be mounted is a symbolic link, the file system is mounted on the directory to which the sym- bolic link refers, rather than on top of the symbolic link itself. SunOS 5.10 24 Nov 2003 mount_pcfs(1M)