Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: netcat
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting netcat Post 302227525 by MartyIX on Thursday 21st of August 2008 10:49:34 AM
Old 08-21-2008
Thank you! The first one is good. I tried "netcat examples" and so on..

I worked out a solution for my task (script that behaves as finger utility) that uses netcat this way and I need to know if the solution is good or not :-(
================================================
Script server-finger.sh still runs and waits for requests from clients. It uses indefinite loop:
================================================

while true ; do

echo "[Waiting for request]"
echo -n "" >"request.file"
nc -l -p 40017 >"request.file" # here it listens for requests

if [ -s "request.file" ]; then

# now we send information via netcat back

echo "[Sending output for request: $user]"
DO_SOME_STAFF >"output.file"
nc -w 1 "$remote_host" "$port"<"output.file"
echo "[Request ($user) was served.]"

fi
done

===============================================
Client script
===============================================

# retrieve IP address of this machine
thisMachine=$(echo `/sbin/ifconfig eth0 | grep "inet addr" | cut -d ":" -f 2 | cut -d " " -f 1`)
host=$(echo $1 | cut -d'@' -f 2)
port=40017
data="SOME DATA TO SEND"

# send data
echo "$data|$thisMachine" | nc -w 1 "$host" "$port"

exitCode=$?

if [ $exitCode -eq 0 ]; then

# wait for data
nc -l -p "$port" >"output.file";

fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

netcat like file transfer

Hi Folks I am not a c programmer .But i need help in writing a program which can do this any ideas on how to go about it . i start a server on the target server where files need to be copied start-server -port 5006 & ---start the server and listen it on a partcular port on the source... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxdba
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Netcat with Authentication?

I'd like to do a data transfer without encryption but with a guarantee that my data comes from a legit source. I'm thinking something that uses a public key scheme to sign the data. Does anyone know of something like that? Thanks! -Pileofrogs (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pileofrogs
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

netcat prints blank pages

Please direct me to the right forum tree if i am in the wrong section for this. i have netcat on a unix machine and there is no man nc or man netcat available. my command i am using is: cat $FILE1 | netcat -h $PRINTER -p 9100 (-h -p -d are the only flags available in this version of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dunpealslyr
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Please help me to install netcat on solaris

hello guys, i want to install netcat on my solaris. after i tar and gunzip netcat i'm confuse what do i must to do ? please help me to install netcat on my solaris. I'm beginner :( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: praset
2 Replies

5. Linux

Thank you radoulov for your help on netcat command (nc -lp)

Hello, Thank you very much for the line nc -lp <port> . I tried to run simple chat session with nc as it's shown in catonmatDOTorg but failed miserably with that syntax inspite of opening port 7777 by iptables . But your command example is working nicely. So a bagful of thanks :)) Only one... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Post using nc(netcat)

Hi; I have a url like http://localhost:8080/examples/jsp/dates/nextPageToPost.jsp?name=ajay&password=pas&sex=Male&check=on&nationality=USA&description=aa&submit=submit in which i want to use nc for http post for parameters like "name","password"....etc can neone please help me how to do that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaypadvi
3 Replies

7. IP Networking

nc (netcat): Connection refused problem

From my machine (ubuntu), I can do $ nc somemachine 80 But, when I want to connect to other machine that runs nc on different ports, it throws "Connection refused" error. The same error occurs on my local machine. For example, nc -l 5555 nc x.x.x.x 5555 --> this throws "Connection... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinga
2 Replies

8. IP Networking

Help with Netcat

Hi all, I know my question is regarding Windows and not Linux, but I simply need people who know Netcat pretty well and I'm guessing here is a good place for that. So on with my question. I'm doing some research, and I was playing around with netcat on a WinXP VM but I can't seem to get... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrCrumbs
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Telnet vs netcat behavior

Currently I run a number of network tests using netcat that checks for an open port on a remote IP-address, using this syntax: netcat -v -w 5 -z 107.249.95.5 4488 For some reason, the netcat command above is hanging (although others work fine), but a telnet is showing a valid connection like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
4 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Netcat ( nc -l ) as webserver

Dear Linux guru's I am trying to create a webserver using nc (netcat only) on RHEL 7.2 running on bash shell. now the easy thing is to get nc listing to a port and respond back $ while true; do { echo -e 'HTTP/1.0 200 OK\r\n'; set; } | nc -l 7877; done This when called from a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chakrapani
3 Replies
FAXSETUP(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       FAXSETUP(8)

NAME
faxsetup - setup a machine for use with HylaFAX SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/faxsetup [ -client ] [ -server ] [ -with-VAR[=value] ] DESCRIPTION
faxsetup is an interactive shell script that does the necessary setup work to configure a client or server machine for the HylaFAX soft- ware. faxsetup must be run on every HylaFAX server machine before the software will function-if a HylaFAX server program or script is invoked before faxsetup is run, the command will abort with a message that says to run faxsetup. faxsetup may optionally be run on a HylaFAX client machine to verify the configuration of the software. By default faxsetup checks a machine for use both as a HylaFAX client and server. Client-specific checks include: o the installation of client programs and data, o the installation of the Adobe Font Metric (AFM) information files used by the HylaFAX text formatting support. Server-specific checks include: o the installation of server programs and data, o the existence of the UUCP lock file directory, o the installation of the TIFF software tools, o the configuration of the getty programs invoked for data and voice calls, o the pathnames for various system programs used by server shell scripts, o proper support for FIFO special files, o proper installation of a POSTSCRIPT RIP, o definition of a ``fax'' user, o definitions for the ``hylafax'' and ``snpp'' services, o startup of the HylaFAX server processes: faxq(8) and hfaxd(8), o definition of a ``FaxMaster'' mail alias for reporting server problems. For server machines faxsetup also creates two files that are required by the HylaFAX command scripts. One file contains master configura- tion parameters and the other contains various definitions used by scripts such as faxaddmodem(8) that communicate with modems. OPTIONS
-client Do client-specific consistency checks. -server Do server-specific consistency checks. -with-VAR[=value] Override the default definition for the configuration parameter named VAR; optionally specifying a new value (if no value is specified then ``yes'' is used). This option is especially useful to override the default settings for the POSTSCRIPT inter- preter package to use (e.g. ``-with-PS=dps''), the spooling directory (``-with-DIR_SPOOL=/mumble''), the directory where the tool applications of TIFF software distribution are located (``-with-TIFFBIN=/usr/freeware''), etc. A complete list of the possible parameters can be found by looking at the contents of the faxsetup shell script; many of these configuration parameters are also described in the online documentation -help Print a help message and terminate. -quiet Do not print verbose messages to the terminal. -verbose Print informative messages to the terminal (default). BUGS
faxsetup does not query a modem to find out its capabilities when invoking the faxmodem program to setup a server in a send-only configura- tion; it may be necessary to run faxmodem manually. FILES
/var/spool/hylafax/etc/setup.cache master configuration parameters /var/spool/hylafax/etc/setup.modem modem-related configuration support Consult hylafax-server(5) for a complete discussion of the structure and content of the spooling area. SEE ALSO
hylafax-server(5), hylafax-config(5), faxq(8), faxgetty(8), faxmodem(8), faxconfig(8), faxsend(8) August 26, 1996 FAXSETUP(8)