Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Darwin 10.4 - Gnome
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Darwin 10.4 - Gnome Post 302226775 by kpedersen on Tuesday 19th of August 2008 10:15:09 PM
Old 08-19-2008
Darwin 10.4 - Gnome

Hello,

I was curious about how one would go about installing gnome on darwin. As far as I know it must be harder than FreeBSD because there doesn't seem to be any ports for it.

Would you have to first set up a build environment (GCC etc...) and then compile it from scratch? or is there an easier way?

Would be quite a novelty using cheap arse Mac OS X Smilie

Thanks,

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

ncurses/Darwin

I am using Darwin on Mac OS X.I.I (new to both Unix and C++). I downloaded the ncurses library from http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gnu-darwin/ncurses-5.2.tgz, but I don't know what to do with it now. Stuffit has expanded the archive, but I still have the original .tgz as well (if that's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: parmenides
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ADSL with Darwin 1.41

Hey everyone, just to let you all know "I'm an uber n00b" I'm connected to Telstra Bigpond's (Australian ISP) ADSL network, now I;m running Darwin 1.41 on an Apple Macintosh PPC computer. I don't know how to set up ADSL on this system, can someone please guide me. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syphor
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Darwin x86

so, what's everyone's opinion on Darwin (x86 rendition)? is it worth installing at the moment? pros? cons? comments? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Karma
5 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

GNU-Darwin

Did anyone here about GNU-Darwin? http://gnu-darwin.org/ Read Bout it! And Darwin can be found here: http://www.opendarwin.org Tell me what U think (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedVenim
4 Replies

5. BSD

How is Darwin as a base For a Server

Does anyone have any Benchmarks for OS X Server in DB Serving. in comparison to Linux How bout Darwin? And How bout Darwin as a Base for a Server? How bout Ease of Environment Crossplatforms and Various Implementations? And Finally how bout Develoment? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RedVenim
1 Replies

6. BSD

Darwin via PearPC

How can I send Ctrl+Alt+Del for Darwin running in PearPC for Linux? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eugrus
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed -i on Darwin

This is the first time I've come across this issue sed -i 's/"//g' iscrmireturns sed: 1: "iscrmi": command i expects \ followed by textApparently the -i option is non-standard FreeBSD extensions - does that mean it's not available on Darwin? Strange (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: platz
1 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Darwin ports

Hi there. I have an MacBookPro and I want to install Darwin ports. I downloaded & installed MacPorts-1.7.0.pkg and now I don't know what to do. I tried: # port -d selfupdate .... error 1 Command output: checking build system type... i686-apple-darwin9.7.0 checking host system type...... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hirohitosan
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup & restore Gnome Desktop and all settings in Gnome

Hi I'm looking for scripts to backup & restore Gnome Desktop and all settings in Gnome. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
0 Replies
GNOME(1)						      General Commands Manual							  GNOME(1)

gnome-session - Starts up the GNOME desktop environment

SYNOPSIS
gnome-session [--choosesession] [--failsafe] [--purge-delay=DELAY] [--warn-delay=DELAY] [--suicide-delay=DELAY] [session-name] DESCRIPTION
The gnome-session program starts up the GNOME desktop environment. This command is typically executed by your login manager (either gdm, xdm, or from your X startup scripts). It will load either your last session, or it will provide a default session for the user as defined by the system administrator (or the default GNOME installation on your system). You can optionally specify a specific session name to restore. gnome-session is an X11R6 session manager. It can manage GNOME applications as well as any X11R6 SM compliant. gnome-session uses the contents of the ~/.gnome/session file for starting up as specified by the "Current Sesssion" key in the ~/.gnome/session-options file. Various default values are provided in case the file entry does not exist. If the session file does not exist, gnome-session will use the contents of the /usr/share/gnome/default.session file. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --choose-session=ARG User can specify a session to load, as opposed to the session specified in the ~/.gnome/session-options file. If that entry does not exist in the ~/.gnome/session file (or if that file doesn't exist), it will use the default session and all saves to that session will be to the new session name. --failsafe Fail safe operations mode: only reads saved sessions from the default.session file. --purge-delay=ARG The number of millisecond that gnome-session will wait for clients to register, if you use 0 it will wait forever (default value: 30,000 milliseconds). --warn-delay=ARG The number of millisecond that gnome-session will wait for clients to respond, if you use 0 it will wait forever (default value: 10,000 milliseconds). --suicide-delay=ARG The number of millisecond that gnome-session will wait for clients to die, if you use 0 it will wait forever (default value: 10,000 milliseconds). ENVIRONMENT
gnome-session accepts all of the standard environment variables used by gnome programs, other than the SESSION_MANAGER environment vari- able. [ xref to a manpage where this is documented. ] gnome-session also sets several environment variables for the use of its child pro- cesses. SESSION_MANAGER This variable is used by session-manager aware clients to contact gnome-session. DISPLAY This variable is set to the X display being used by gnome-session. Note that if the --display option is used this might be different from the setting of the environment variable when gnome-session is invoked. SEE ALSO
default.session(5),gnome-session-save(1) BUGS
If you find bugs in the gnome-session program, please report these using bug-buddy or the gnome-bug script included with the GNOME libraries distribution. GNOME 1.0 GNOME(1)