Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Change Specific Line of a File Post 302226339 by msb65 on Monday 18th of August 2008 05:48:24 PM
Old 08-18-2008
Hi,

Yes I was trying to something similar. However, that still does not work. Is that the syntax for bash?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change a specific character in a file

Hi, I have a data file with following structure: a|b|c|d|3|f1|f2|f3 a|b|c|d|5|f1|f2|f3|f4|f5 I want to change this data to: a|b|c|d|3|f1;f2;f3 a|b|c|d|5|f1;f2;f3;f4;f5 Data in column 5 tells the number of following fields. All fields delimiter after the 5th column needs to be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdubey
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to change/find/delete/install a specific file

Hi Very much a newbie to UNIX & scripting, but have identified an area within work that would benefit from being automated, as its repeated manually very often, and it looks like the ideal first script! What I need to do is change directory to a users home (cd ~), and then find and remove a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Great Uncle Kip
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change specific ip address in a file

I need to change a line from a xen cfg file using sed if it's possible. The original line is: vif = I want to change ONLY the IP address of the second part ==> ip=10.1.10.4 to another IP --> ip=192.222.11.6 The first one ip=123.456.789.123 keeps untouchable. My new line shoud... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change a number on a specific lines in a file with shell?

Hello My problem is that I want to change some specific numbers in a file. It is like, 2009 10 3 2349 21.3 L 40.719 27.388 10.8 FRO 7 0.8 1.1LFRO 2.6CFRO 1.1LMAM1 GAP=157 1.69 5.7 5.9 5.8 0.5405E+01 0.4455E+00 0.1653E+02E STAT SP IPHASW D HRMM SECON CODA AMPLIT... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: miriammiriam
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change a number on a specific line with cshell or shell?

Hello all, I need to change a number in a file by adding some residuals respectively To make it clear, I need to add 0.11 to the number between 24-28 (which is below the SECON) for all the lines starting with FRR1 or I need to add 0.13 to the number between 24-28 (which is below the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: miriammiriam
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I search and change an specific string in a file

Dear All, New to Linux/Unix OS, my Linux version is 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux As titled, I wonder if you can help to provide a solution to find and change an specific string in a file The file include a lots of data in following configuration but might be various in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: axel
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change specific value for a entry in the file

Hello All, can someone please suggest me a one line command to change a specific value that is associated to an entry in the file. for example #more schedulefile quartz.job.manual.bonus.schedule=0 0 9 ? * * # it should be changed to #more schedulefile... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To change Specific Lines in An XML file

hi Guys, this is my requirement, there is a huge xml file of this i have to change 3 lines with out opening the file /users/oracle > cat lnxdb-pts-454.xml|egrep "s_virtual|s_cluster|s_dlsnstatus" <cluster_port oa_var="s_clusterServicePort">9998</cluster_port> <host... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarlaku
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to change specific string to new value if found in text file

I am trying to use awk to change a specific string in a field, if it is found, to another value. In the tab-delimited file the text in bold in $3 contains the string 23, which is always right before a ., if it is present. I am trying to change that string to X, keeping the formatting and the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
metacity(1)							   User Commands						       metacity(1)

NAME
metacity, metacity--theme-viewer - GNOME desktop window manager, theme viewer for the metacity window manager themes SYNOPSIS
metacity [--sm-disable] [--sm-save-file=filename] [--display=display] [--replace] [--version] metacity-theme-viewer [theme-name] DESCRIPTION
metacity is a fully integrated window manager that uses GTK+ for UI elements. metacity communicates closely with the panel and other desk- top elements. To configure metacity, use the GNOME preferences dialogs. metacity-theme-viewer is an application for testing and displaying metacity themes. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --display=displaSpecify the remote X Display to be used by the window manager, where display is in the following format: hostname:displaynumber.screennumber --help Display detailed usage message. You can also use -? to specify this option. --replace A metacity started with the ---replaceoption will replace an existing metacity. --sm-disable Disable the connection to the session manager. --sm-save-file=fSpecifies the session management file to be used. By default, the $HOME/.metacity/sessions file is used. --version Display the version information for the metacity command. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: -theme-name Specifies the theme that metacity should use. If no theme is specified on the metacity-theme-viewer command line, metacity loads the Crux theme. An error message is displayed if the theme does not exist. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Starting metacity From the Command Line When a metacity is Already Running example% metacity --replace Example 2: Starting metacity With a Non-Default Session Management File example% metacity --sm-save-file=filename EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/metacity The command-line executable for the application. /usr/bin/metacity--themeTheecommand-line executable for the application. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-wm | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. NOTES
Written by Laszlo Kovacs, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.10 2 Oct 2003 metacity(1)