Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Send console message to all users and tty Post 302223380 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 9th of August 2008 07:37:54 PM
Old 08-09-2008
Try the wall command.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

console error message

:confused: I receive the following error message when I try to logon to my Solaris 2.6 system; "No utmpx entry. You must exec "login" from lowest level "shell" " What does it mean ? I can't logon to the system at the moment! Any help appreciated. Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: boristhespider
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

console message from Crontab run

I run my nightly backup thru a crontab job. Is there any way to get the message to mount a new tape to the console? Currently it appears to go to an email. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixhelp
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Enable console login for normal users

Dear Frnz I have a solaris box with running 5.8 My default window manager is CDE.When i login as a normal user and try to open console it is vanishing quickly. When i check the logs the message is Wed Nov 21 19:27:03 2007 (/usr/dt/bin/dtexec) /usr/dt/bin/dtterm /dev/console: Permission... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sriram.s
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Send a massive message to the connected users

How can I send a message for all the users connected into the system at the same time? Let's say I need to reboot the server and I ask the users to save their jobs becasue the server will be rebooted? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: agasamapetilon
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

WRITE a message in console

Hi all, I have a requirement, where I need to do some calculations and based on the results I need to write a message to the user from a shell script. Is it possible to `write' inside the script? Something like the below one.. #! /bin/ksh write user12 << EOF Hello World <<EOF For... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruparan18
2 Replies

6. AIX

Difference between tty and console devices ?

Hi, What is the diference between these two ? thanks Vilius (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
3 Replies

7. AIX

TTY Reconnaissance for remote users

I'm trying to create an automated script, which (I feel) needs to be able to map local processes of a certain program with certain remote hosts. The script will know which remote host and local program it will be looking for during the mapping. Essentially the goal is to programmatically pull which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Command to redirect console to my tty?

Is there a utility built into Solaris that will allow me to see console messages from a tty? I've done a search and see that this is possible through software like ILOM, but I'm looking for a method to do this with built in utilities. For example, on AIX, I can use swcons `tty` (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: makodarear
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to stop the message on the console

Hi, Sun Solaris. I am working on the console, I have pulled the network cable out. I am in the process of changing the IP address and few others thing. But this message comes every few seconds. SUNW,hme0: Link Down - cable problem? SUNW,hme0: Link Down - cable problem? It's very... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change banner message for console login?

Hi All, Whenever I login to server via console, after providing username (root) it displays a banner message. I want to remove this message Serverabc : root Welcome to Server !!! Password: It is Centos 5.4 box. I have checked /etc/issue and /etc/motd. It does not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
8 Replies
SYSTEMD-ASK-PASSWORD-CONSOLE.SERVICE(8) 	       systemd-ask-password-console.service		   SYSTEMD-ASK-PASSWORD-CONSOLE.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-ask-password-console.service, systemd-ask-password-console.path, systemd-ask-password-wall.service, systemd-ask-password-wall.path - Query the user for system passwords on the console and via wall SYNOPSIS
systemd-ask-password-console.service systemd-ask-password-console.path systemd-ask-password-wall.service systemd-ask-password-wall.path DESCRIPTION
systemd-ask-password-console.service is a system service that queries the user for system passwords (such as hard disk encryption keys and SSL certificate passphrases) on the console. It is intended to be used during boot to ensure proper handling of passwords necessary for boot. systemd-ask-password-wall.service is a system service that informs all logged in users for system passwords via wall(1). It is intended to be used after boot to ensure that users are properly notified. See the developer documentation[1] for more information about the system password logic. Note that these services invoke systemd-tty-ask-password-agent(1) with either the --watch --console or --watch --wall command line parameters. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-tty-ask-password-agent(1), wall(1) NOTES
1. developer documentation https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PasswordAgents systemd 237 SYSTEMD-ASK-PASSWORD-CONSOLE.SERVICE(8)