Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers while loop not taking the not equal to condition Post 302223259 by bakunin on Friday 8th of August 2008 08:06:44 PM
Old 08-08-2008
To be honest i think you should change your programs logic completely: You enter a character (or word), some values are legal, ALL others are not. You do not need the functionality of a while-loop at all, so why should you use it?

How about the following, which is easily extensible:

Code:
print - "enter a value: " ; read value
case value in
     [Ss])
          print - "You entered an s or an S."
          ;;

[Nn])
          print - "You entered an n or an N."
          ;;

*)
          print - "You entered an illegal value"
          ;;
esac

This should also be easier to read and to maintain.

If you want to use the code part as a device to process the commandline you could also resort to the getopts-program. Have a look at the manpage for it and if this fits your requirements and you still have problems applying it come back and ask again.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem taking input from file with for loop

I am trying to take input from a file and direct it into a bash script. This script is meant to be a foreach loop. I would like the script to process each item in the list one by one and direct the output to a file. # cat 1loop #!/bin/bash # this 2>&1 to redirect STDERR & STDOUT to file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Infinite for loop is taking too much CPU usage %

Hi All, I wrote one simple for loop shell script which prints number..but this loop is infinite...but its taking lot of CPU (15.7) %. if i am using sleep cmd then cpu usage become 0.4 %. Is there anyway to reduce this CPU usage without using sleep cmd? i dont want 2 use sleep cmd... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa.chidhambaram
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

For Loop Taking Too Long

I'm new from UNIX scripting. Please help. I have about 10,000 files from the $ROOTDIR/scp/inbox/string1 directory to compare with the 50 files from /$ROOTDIR/output/tma/pnt/bad/string1/ directory and it takes about 2 hours plus to complete the for loop. Is there a better way to re-write the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanie123
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Comparison and For Loop Taking Too Long

I'd like to 1. Check and compare the 10,000 pnt files contains single record from the /$ROOTDIR/scp/inbox/string1 directory against 39 bad pnt files from the /$ROOTDIR/output/tma/pnt/bad/string1 directory based on the fam_id column value start at position 38 to 47 from the record below. Here is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hanie123
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

if condition in a while loop

Gurus, I need to read a line from a file and strip the characters from it and compare the stripped value with the value I pass to the script while executing it. Below is the code for the same. But when i execute the code, it is throwing an error. #!/bin/ksh . /home/.i_env ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of -z in while loop condition

Hi, Could you please tell what is the meaning of -z in while loop condition. For example, while ; do echo "*** Enter the age " readage (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidyaj
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

If not equal to then loop

How do I go about amending this simple script that prompts for a yes/no response so that if neither Y or N are entered it will loop back back to the original prompt #!/bin/ksh echo "Enter yes of no" read answer if then echo "You selected yes" elif then echo "You selected no" elif... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gmears
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep not equal to condition

I have below files under dir_a and dir_b and i want to sort out number of dir_a and dir_b files seperately and if i do the grep it should retrun 2 files in dir_a and 1 file in dir_b. /dir_a/12345678 /dir_a/87654321 /dir_a/dir_b/12345687 But i am getting cat file|grep dir_a|wc -l 3... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash358
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop problem taking too long

while read myhosts do while read discovered do echo "$discovered" done < $LOGFILE | grep -Pi "|" | egrep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with taking variable of for loop in textfile

Hi, I am new to unix/linux scripting. I have a text file, listlib.txt where the content: lib1_23 lib34_a ab_li_lab I need to generate a file (.log) of each cell. I am planning to create a (.csh) script that will have for loop with variable taken from listlib.txt. As for now, i have no... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmaz
4 Replies
pac(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    pac(8)

NAME
pac - Outputs printer/plotter accounting information SYNOPSIS
pac [-cmrs] [-p price] [-P printer] [name] FLAGS
Sorts output according to the computed cost instead of alphabetically according to user. Groups all printing charges for the user speci- fied by name, without regard for the host machine from which printing was invoked. The dollar amount charged per unit of output specified by price. The default dollar amount charged is $0.02 per unit. Specifies the printer for which accounting records are produced. Alterna- tively, the system selects the printer named with the PRINTER environment variable, or the default printer lp0. Reverses the sorted order, so that records are listed alphabetically from z to a, or in descending order by computed cost when this flag is used with the -c flag. Writes printer accounting information to a summary file. You must specify the -P flag and printer name (or synonym) when you use this flag. Output is made to a file that is associated with the af entry for the specified printer in the /etc/printcap file. This file is located in the /usr/adm directory. The file name is usually the af accounting file name, with the letters _sum (summary) appended, for example: /usr/adm/lp2acct_sum. Accounting information is in three unheaded columns in the format: pages/feet machinename:username runs DESCRIPTION
When printer accounting is enabled in the /etc/printcap file, and you use the pac command in a shell script or from the standard input, pac outputs printer/plotter accounting records to the standard output for each user of the printer specified with the -P flag and printer name or for users specified with the name parameter. The unit used for printer accounting is the number of pages printed. However, for raster devices (such typesetters, and plotters) length in feet of print medium (film, for example) is the unit used. Output units are expressed both as the number of units used and the charge in dollars according to the price specified with -p flag and price amount per unit. The printer/plotter accounting output has the following column headings and format: Login pages/feet runs price chicken:rcb 19.00 2 $ 0.38 sardine:jmp 22.00 3 $ 0.44 hunch:lucy 53.00 12 $ 1.06 stovetop:suki 1.00 1 $ 0.02 newspaper:myralou 834.00 202 $ 16.68 wimbledon:nhk 69.00 20 $ 1.38 norfolk:sophie 184.00 17 $ 3.68 There are four fields, each with its own column heading, in each record of the default output produced by the pac command: 1) the machine from which the print command was entered and login name is entered in the Login column; 2) the number of pages or feet of paper output is entered in the page/feet column; 3) the number of times the printer was used is entered in the runs column; and 4) the cost computed at the default or specified price is entered in the price column. EXAMPLES
To print printer/plotter accounting information for all users of default printer lp0 to the standard output device, enter: /usr/sbin/pac Output is sorted alphabetically according to machine name and username. The number of printed pages or feet of output paper used and the charge per foot of paper or page is computed at the default dollar amount of $0.02 per page because no flags are specified. To write accounting records for printer printer1 in a summary file, enter the following line as a superuser or as adm: /usr/sbin/pac -Pprinter1 -s Summary information is written to the file /var/adm/printer1acct_sum. To produce accounting information for users lucy, suki and myralou for pages printed on printer putnam408, enter: /usr/sbin/pac -Pputnam408 lucy suki myralou FILES
Specifies the command path Accounting information summary file. Printer information summary file, where printcap symbol af defines the name of the accounting file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: acct(8), acctcms(8), acctcom(8), acctcon(8), acctmerg(8), acctprc(8), printcap(4), runacct(8) delim off pac(8)