Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script to parse/split input string and display the tokens Post 302222951 by Franklin52 on Friday 8th of August 2008 02:47:42 AM
Old 08-08-2008
Code:
awk '{gsub("~","\n");print "Line " NR;print}' file

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse a string in XML file using shell script

Hi! I'm just new here and don't know much about shell scripting. I just want to ask for help in creating a shell script that will parse a string or value of the status in the xml file. Please sample xml file below. Can you please help me create a simple script to get the value of status? Also it... (46 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
46 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to replace tokens in multiple files

I have multiple script files that I have created, that allow me to simply replace a few tokens at the top of the file, and then not have to go through the actual script and change anything. I have about 10 of them, but I was hoping to find a way to write a small script that would allow me to input... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
20 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

selecting tokens from a string...

i store the output of ls in a variable FL $FL=`ls` $echo $FL f1.txt f2.txt f3.txt f4.txt f5.txt script.sh script.sh~ test.txt now if i want to retrive the sub-string "f1.txt" from $FL we were taught that this is what i have to do $set $FL $echo $1 f1.txt and echo $2 would give... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: c_d
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SPLIT STRING in bash shell script

i need one help.... if i have a string like aaaaa,bbbbb,ccccc,aaaaa How to to split the string and check howmany times aaaaa will be in that string? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthinvk
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need tokens in shell script

Hi All, Im writing a shell script in which I want to get the folder names in one folder to be used in for loop. I have used: packsName=$(cd ~/packs/Acquisitions; ls -l| awk '{print $9}') echo $packsName o/p: opt temp user1 user2 ie. Im getting the output as a string. But I want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AB10
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing string as a input parameter for a shell script

Hi i have a shell script which needs a string as an input parameter. How to pass the string param as an input? In command line am running the script. for e.g., a="who is a buddy?" sh sample.sh $a Inside the script i get this input param as $1 but only the value "who" is accepted... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidhyaS
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script for parse input like option and value

I would create a bash script than parse like this: test.sh -p (protocol) -i (address) -d (directory) I need retrive the value after -p for example... understand??? I hope... thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ionral
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting error -: more tokens expected in shell script

Hi can someone help me to resolve the error for this condition if ] && ]; then i am passing the values $k and $kkm i am getting the error like "-: more tokens expected" Thanks in Advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: makigate
5 Replies

9. Programming

C++ getline, parse and take first tokens by condition

Hello, Trying to parse a file (in FASTA format) and reformat it. 1) Each record starts with ">" and followed by words separated by space, but they are in one same line for sure; 2) Sequences are following that may be in multiple rows with possible spaces inside until the next ">".... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
18 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux shell script, search by an input string

So, there is a large file where I have to conduct several search using bash shell scripting. The file is like this: TITLE and AUTHOR ETEXT NO. Aspects of plant life; with special reference to the British flora, 56900 by Robert Lloyd... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Philia
1 Replies
Text::ParseWords(3perl) 				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				   Text::ParseWords(3perl)

NAME
Text::ParseWords - parse text into an array of tokens or array of arrays SYNOPSIS
use Text::ParseWords; @lists = nested_quotewords($delim, $keep, @lines); @words = quotewords($delim, $keep, @lines); @words = shellwords(@lines); @words = parse_line($delim, $keep, $line); @words = old_shellwords(@lines); # DEPRECATED! DESCRIPTION
The &nested_quotewords() and &quotewords() functions accept a delimiter (which can be a regular expression) and a list of lines and then breaks those lines up into a list of words ignoring delimiters that appear inside quotes. &quotewords() returns all of the tokens in a single long list, while &nested_quotewords() returns a list of token lists corresponding to the elements of @lines. &parse_line() does tokenizing on a single string. The &*quotewords() functions simply call &parse_line(), so if you're only splitting one line you can call &parse_line() directly and save a function call. The $keep argument is a boolean flag. If true, then the tokens are split on the specified delimiter, but all other characters (quotes, backslashes, etc.) are kept in the tokens. If $keep is false then the &*quotewords() functions remove all quotes and backslashes that are not themselves backslash-escaped or inside of single quotes (i.e., &quotewords() tries to interpret these characters just like the Bourne shell). NB: these semantics are significantly different from the original version of this module shipped with Perl 5.000 through 5.004. As an additional feature, $keep may be the keyword "delimiters" which causes the functions to preserve the delimiters in each string as tokens in the token lists, in addition to preserving quote and backslash characters. &shellwords() is written as a special case of &quotewords(), and it does token parsing with whitespace as a delimiter-- similar to most Unix shells. EXAMPLES
The sample program: use Text::ParseWords; @words = quotewords('s+', 0, q{this is "a test" of quotewords "for you}); $i = 0; foreach (@words) { print "$i: <$_> "; $i++; } produces: 0: <this> 1: <is> 2: <a test> 3: <of quotewords> 4: <"for> 5: <you> demonstrating: 0 a simple word 1 multiple spaces are skipped because of our $delim 2 use of quotes to include a space in a word 3 use of a backslash to include a space in a word 4 use of a backslash to remove the special meaning of a double-quote 5 another simple word (note the lack of effect of the backslashed double-quote) Replacing "quotewords('s+', 0, q{this is...})" with "shellwords(q{this is...})" is a simpler way to accomplish the same thing. AUTHORS
Maintainer: Alexandr Ciornii <alexchornyATgmail.com>. Previous maintainer: Hal Pomeranz <pomeranz@netcom.com>, 1994-1997 (Original author unknown). Much of the code for &parse_line() (including the primary regexp) from Joerk Behrends <jbehrends@multimediaproduzenten.de>. Examples section another documentation provided by John Heidemann <johnh@ISI.EDU> Bug reports, patches, and nagging provided by lots of folks-- thanks everybody! Special thanks to Michael Schwern <schwern@envirolink.org> for assuring me that a &nested_quotewords() would be useful, and to Jeff Friedl <jfriedl@yahoo-inc.com> for telling me not to worry about error-checking (sort of-- you had to be there). perl v5.14.2 2010-12-30 Text::ParseWords(3perl)