Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Gentoo cpu%/mem% usage, scripting, dzen2: howto learn bash the hard way Post 302220994 by broli on Saturday 2nd of August 2008 07:29:39 PM
Old 08-02-2008
cpu%/mem% usage, scripting, dzen2: howto learn bash the hard way

I am trying to write a small (and rather simple) script to gather some info about the system and piping it to dzen2

first, i want to explain some things.
I know i could have used conky, but my intention was to expand my knowledge of bash, pipes and redirections inside a script, and to have fun (which i am)
some time later, i also decided to try to be more strict on the resource usage. this is a script that will constantly run on a low-end laptop.

also, dzen is not the important part of the script and can be simple ignored, is just a way to show the info. if you are interested in dzen, you can read more info here gotmor - dzen

so, lets talk about the script itself

i use top in batch mode to get the list of most cpu/mem using, but now, i would like to include the total too. (in percentage)

with the memory, i was thinking maybe using free, and doing some math on the used/cached fields. but that would involve a new app to run, when top already gave me the info.
but taking the info from top's output will require a heavy use of pipes and secondary apps like tail and head

with the cpu%, well, im lost .....
where could i find that info?
im thinking, maybe is better to just use the iddle% field of top

this is what i have done so far
general pastebin - broli - post number 1091305

any suggestion on how to improve what i have done will also be welcomed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference in Mem usage ?

Hi All, I have a pair of sun ultra 5_10 with SunOS 5.5.1. Both are almost equally patched and set up with simillar applications. host# uname -a SunOS host 5.5.1 Generic_103640-24 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10 Even though both have same amount of RAM ( 512 Mb ) , ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shibz
1 Replies

2. Linux

High Mem & Cpu Utilisation

Hi All, Kindly help me in optimizing the server as it displays a great amount of CPU & MEM being utilised when the mysql process executes. Below are the stats --- -------------------------------------------------------------------------- # top 15:51:57 up 23:22, 5 users, load average:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gautamatul82
1 Replies

3. Linux

Linux Mem Usage

What is amount of free RAM i have now? total used free shared buffers cached Mem: 1010 963 46 0 215 256 -/+ buffers/cache: 491 518 Swap: 1983 0 1983 Above is the output of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: new2ss
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

5. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with bash script - Need to get CPU usage as a percentage

I'm writing a bash script to log some selections from a sensors output (core temp, mb temp, etc.) and I would also like to have the current cpu usage as a percentage. I have no idea how to go about getting it in a form that a bash script can use. For example, I would simply look in the output of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: graysky
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HOWTO - Total memory and CPU usage ... without top?

Hi all, Is it possible to get total memory usage and free memory usage without top? By Googling I found for total memory usage, use vmstat, for CPU, use mpstat, for disk I/O use iostat, is this correct? Will using sar gives the same result as ALL of these three (3) commands? What about if I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Should I learn bash scripting or is it going obsolete?

Hi folks, I'm a CS students enrolled in a sysadmin class where we've been covering bash scripting for the past few weeks. I have prior knowledge in java, c++, c#, python,and some scripting languages like asp.net w/c# and php. This bash stuff seems pretty neat and a bit different than what I am... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: KalEl
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to find total cpu and mem

Hi All, I need to know the command for knowing the total cpu and mem. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learn bash shell scripting

I do not know shell scripting. But at work place, I have got an in and out shell scripting task. I just need to understand a very big script. Is there any tool in which I can place the script and it can tell me the meaning of the whole script? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lg123
3 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)