Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers onChange + javascript in perl CGI - question Post 302218826 by matrixmadhan on Sunday 27th of July 2008 07:04:57 AM
Old 07-27-2008
onChange + javascript in perl CGI - question

Hello all,

Am trying to include a onChange java script to my perl CGI application which uses POST method to upload files to file_server

This is how I embedded javascript in the perl code that renders CGI application

Code:
print qq|
  <script type="text/javascript" src="display.js">
  </script>
  |;

Contents of display javascript are :

Code:
function changeDispatch(newLink) {
  if ( newLink != null ) {
    document.location.href = newLink;
  }
}

This is the popup menu, when an item is selected from the list it should automatically trigger the action designation instead of a separate "GO" ( submit ) button for each of the popup menu that I have got.

Code:
print $cgi->popup_menu(-name=>'fruits',
                         -values=>$fruits_arr,
                         -onChange=>"changeDispatch('$arg')");

Here in '$arg' if am able to store the selected value from the popup_menu, then its quite easy to formulate a string and pass it to changedDispatch in javascript.
But am not able to retrieve any such data

Whats happening :
If I click on any of the fruits say, "apple" the onClick effect is happening and it comes to the same initial page. If that is, fruits.cgi once I click that - it again comes to fruits.cgi as though it has been loaded for the first time

What I want to happen :
Based on the onClick event, I have other functions to be dispatched via GUI. That would seem to happen only when I know what option is clicked.

I accept that am not that good when it comes to GUI design or adding effects to that.

I have seen several website doing this, it should be something very easy for those who had already worked on this.
Could you please provide some pointers ?

thanks Smilie

Last edited by matrixmadhan; 07-27-2008 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: added more relevant information

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

transforming small javascript into perl

I need to transform this small javascript into a perl. So then when I need to use it I can call $something, instead of using this javascript. Could someone help me archive this? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: marringi
9 Replies

2. Web Development

problem with exporting vairable from one perl cgi to another perl cgi script while redirecting.

Can anyone tell me how to export a variable from one perl CGI script to another perl cgi script when using a redirect. Upon running the login.pl the user is prompted to enter user name and password. Upon entering the correct credentials (admin/admin) the user is redirected to welcome page. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use JavaScript in Perl Object Oriented

i am new to Perl CGI Object oriented. I want to use some java script in my Perl CGI but i am not able to do that. I am using Submit button then via param() i am getting all field parameters. But i want to validate all fields first then i want to move. But Use of Java script, i don't know (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Navrattan Bansa
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call perl web service from javascript?

Hi, I would like to call the below perl web service from javascript .Any help would be appreciated.I am new to web services.Please do the needful. Server Program(Perl Web Service) #!/usr/bin/perl use lib '/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/SOAP-Lite-0.65_3/lib'; use SOAP::Transport::HTTP; use Demo;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: liyakathali
3 Replies

5. Programming

Javascript question: using the image button

I have javascript that I want to use to build up a dynamic array: the user clicks on one or more images and when clicking the Show button, the list of image names is displayed that the user clicked. <script type="text/javascript"> var images = ; images =... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl cgi pages out of cgi-bin folder in WINDOWS

Hi team, I have a typical problem with cgi pages in apache webserver in WINDOWS I am able to execute(display) the pages that are saved in cgi-bin folder. But I am not able to execute the pages stored in htdocs or other folder other than cgi-bin folder. Could anyone please let me know how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl CGI : unable to download the excel sheet from perl cgi page

Hi All, I have written an cgi perl script that displays an image(Excel image) and when clicked on that Image I need to download a excel sheet. I made sure that excel sheet exists in the folder with the given name but still I am not able to download the sheet. print "<center><table... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

CGI Perl : while loop in CGI perl

Hi Team, I am trying to connect to database(succeeded ) and print the records on the browser using while loop. But the elements of array are not displayed instead while loop is displayed directly. Instead of the below I can embed html statements in print but I am looking for the below style as I... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Perl CGI

I am trying to get my MacBook Pro with 10.8 Mt Lion set up to run Perl CGI scripts. Having a problem. I can start Apache Web Server with no problems. Why do I put the static and dynamic scripts? I which directory? I have looked at this article:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: djehresmann
3 Replies

10. Programming

Javascript: displaying images with onchange event

I am looking to display the pdf of one of two distributions, depending on what the user selected: <script type="text/javascript"> function distributionChange() { var img = document.createElement("img"); var link = 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/xxx#mediaviewer/File:yyy'; switch... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies
CGI::Compile(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 CGI::Compile(3pm)

NAME
CGI::Compile - Compile .cgi scripts to a code reference like ModPerl::Registry SYNOPSIS
use CGI::Compile; my $sub = CGI::Compile->compile("/path/to/script.cgi"); DESCRIPTION
CGI::Compile is an utility to compile CGI scripts into a code reference that can run many times on its own namespace, as long as the script is ready to run on a persistent environment. NOTE: for best results, load CGI::Compile before any modules used by your CGIs. RUN ON PSGI
Combined with CGI::Emulate::PSGI, your CGI script can be turned into a persistent PSGI application like: use CGI::Emulate::PSGI; use CGI::Compile; my $cgi_script = "/path/to/foo.cgi"; my $sub = CGI::Compile->compile($cgi_script); my $app = CGI::Emulate::PSGI->handler($sub); # $app is a PSGI application CAVEATS
If your CGI script has a subroutine that references the lexical scope variable outside the subroutine, you'll see warnings such as: Variable "$q" is not available at ... Variable "$counter" will not stay shared at ... This is due to the way this module compiles the whole script into a big "sub". To solve this, you have to update your code to pass around the lexical variables, or replace "my" with "our". See also <http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/porting.html#The_First_Mystery> for more details. AUTHOR
Tatsuhiko Miyagawa <miyagawa@bulknews.net> CONTRIBUTORS
Rafael Kitover <rkitover@cpan.org> Hans Dieter Pearcey <hdp@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright (c) 2009 Tatsuhiko Miyagawa <miyagawa@bulknews.net> This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
ModPerl::RegistryCooker CGI::Emulate::PSGI perl v5.14.2 2011-05-24 CGI::Compile(3pm)