Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers onChange + javascript in perl CGI - question Post 302218826 by matrixmadhan on Sunday 27th of July 2008 07:04:57 AM
Old 07-27-2008
onChange + javascript in perl CGI - question

Hello all,

Am trying to include a onChange java script to my perl CGI application which uses POST method to upload files to file_server

This is how I embedded javascript in the perl code that renders CGI application

Code:
print qq|
  <script type="text/javascript" src="display.js">
  </script>
  |;

Contents of display javascript are :

Code:
function changeDispatch(newLink) {
  if ( newLink != null ) {
    document.location.href = newLink;
  }
}

This is the popup menu, when an item is selected from the list it should automatically trigger the action designation instead of a separate "GO" ( submit ) button for each of the popup menu that I have got.

Code:
print $cgi->popup_menu(-name=>'fruits',
                         -values=>$fruits_arr,
                         -onChange=>"changeDispatch('$arg')");

Here in '$arg' if am able to store the selected value from the popup_menu, then its quite easy to formulate a string and pass it to changedDispatch in javascript.
But am not able to retrieve any such data

Whats happening :
If I click on any of the fruits say, "apple" the onClick effect is happening and it comes to the same initial page. If that is, fruits.cgi once I click that - it again comes to fruits.cgi as though it has been loaded for the first time

What I want to happen :
Based on the onClick event, I have other functions to be dispatched via GUI. That would seem to happen only when I know what option is clicked.

I accept that am not that good when it comes to GUI design or adding effects to that.

I have seen several website doing this, it should be something very easy for those who had already worked on this.
Could you please provide some pointers ?

thanks Smilie

Last edited by matrixmadhan; 07-27-2008 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: added more relevant information

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

transforming small javascript into perl

I need to transform this small javascript into a perl. So then when I need to use it I can call $something, instead of using this javascript. Could someone help me archive this? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: marringi
9 Replies

2. Web Development

problem with exporting vairable from one perl cgi to another perl cgi script while redirecting.

Can anyone tell me how to export a variable from one perl CGI script to another perl cgi script when using a redirect. Upon running the login.pl the user is prompted to enter user name and password. Upon entering the correct credentials (admin/admin) the user is redirected to welcome page. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use JavaScript in Perl Object Oriented

i am new to Perl CGI Object oriented. I want to use some java script in my Perl CGI but i am not able to do that. I am using Submit button then via param() i am getting all field parameters. But i want to validate all fields first then i want to move. But Use of Java script, i don't know (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Navrattan Bansa
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call perl web service from javascript?

Hi, I would like to call the below perl web service from javascript .Any help would be appreciated.I am new to web services.Please do the needful. Server Program(Perl Web Service) #!/usr/bin/perl use lib '/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/SOAP-Lite-0.65_3/lib'; use SOAP::Transport::HTTP; use Demo;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: liyakathali
3 Replies

5. Programming

Javascript question: using the image button

I have javascript that I want to use to build up a dynamic array: the user clicks on one or more images and when clicking the Show button, the list of image names is displayed that the user clicked. <script type="text/javascript"> var images = ; images =... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl cgi pages out of cgi-bin folder in WINDOWS

Hi team, I have a typical problem with cgi pages in apache webserver in WINDOWS I am able to execute(display) the pages that are saved in cgi-bin folder. But I am not able to execute the pages stored in htdocs or other folder other than cgi-bin folder. Could anyone please let me know how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl CGI : unable to download the excel sheet from perl cgi page

Hi All, I have written an cgi perl script that displays an image(Excel image) and when clicked on that Image I need to download a excel sheet. I made sure that excel sheet exists in the folder with the given name but still I am not able to download the sheet. print "<center><table... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

CGI Perl : while loop in CGI perl

Hi Team, I am trying to connect to database(succeeded ) and print the records on the browser using while loop. But the elements of array are not displayed instead while loop is displayed directly. Instead of the below I can embed html statements in print but I am looking for the below style as I... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Perl CGI

I am trying to get my MacBook Pro with 10.8 Mt Lion set up to run Perl CGI scripts. Having a problem. I can start Apache Web Server with no problems. Why do I put the static and dynamic scripts? I which directory? I have looked at this article:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: djehresmann
3 Replies

10. Programming

Javascript: displaying images with onchange event

I am looking to display the pdf of one of two distributions, depending on what the user selected: <script type="text/javascript"> function distributionChange() { var img = document.createElement("img"); var link = 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/xxx#mediaviewer/File:yyy'; switch... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
4 Replies
Plack::Handler::CGI(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Plack::Handler::CGI(3pm)

NAME
Plack::Handler::CGI - CGI handler for Plack SYNOPSIS
Want to run PSGI application as a CGI script? Rename .psgi to .cgi and change the shebang line like: #!/usr/bin/env plackup # rest of the file can be the same as other .psgi file You can alternatively create a .cgi file that contains something like: #!/usr/bin/perl use Plack::Loader; my $app = Plack::Util::load_psgi("/path/to/app.psgi"); Plack::Loader->auto->run($app); This will auto-recognize the CGI environment variable to load this class. If you really want to explicitly load the CGI handler, you can. For instance you might do this when you want to embed a PSGI application server built into CGI-compatible perl-based web server: use Plack::Handler::CGI; Plack::Handler::CGI->new->run($app); DESCRIPTION
This is a handler module to run any PSGI application as a CGI script. UTILITY METHODS
setup_env() my $env = Plack::Handler::CGI->setup_env(); my $env = Plack::Handler::CGI->setup_env(\%override_env); Sets up the PSGI environment hash for a CGI request from %ENV> and returns it. You can can provide a hashref of key/value pairs to override the defaults if you would like. SEE ALSO
Plack perl v5.14.2 2011-06-22 Plack::Handler::CGI(3pm)