Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting what does if[$? -ne 0] mean in unix Post 302216690 by ynilesh on Monday 21st of July 2008 12:44:26 AM
Old 07-21-2008
Hello Shree,

To verify whether data copying is happened properly, you can use "md5sum" check. get the original file md5sum and again get it after copying it to local machine. Compare them. If same then file has been copied properly else issue while copying file.

And to check if result file has been created use,

if [ -e "filename" ]
then
echo "File exist"
else
echo "File does not exist"
fi

Please let me know if u need more help.

- nilesh

Last edited by ynilesh; 07-21-2008 at 01:49 AM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX problem? Unix programm runs windows 2000 CPU over 100%

Okee problems...!! What is happening: Unix server with some programms, workstations are windows 2000, the workstations work good but when you start a programm on the Unix server the CPU of the workstations go to 100% usage resulting that the system gets very slow. The programm well its running so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerocool
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix History Question: Why are filenames/dirnames case sentsitive in Unix?

I tried looking for the answer online and came up with only a few semi-answers as to why file and directory names are case sensitive in Unix. Right off the bat, I'll say this doesn't bother me. But I run into tons of Windows and OpenVMS admins in my day job who go batty when they have to deal... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

missing Path(in UNIX) when i launch a job on to unix machine using windows SSh

hi i want run an unix application from a windows program/application.i am using SSH(command line version)to log on to a unix machine from windows. the application has to read a configuration file inorder to run. the configuration file .CFG is in bin in my home directory. but the application... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megastar
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP script for sending a file from one unix directory to another unix server director

Hi, My local server is :/usr/abcd/ Remote server is :/Usr/host/test/ I want to send files from local unix directory(All files starting with O_999) to remote host unix directory. Can any body give me the Unix Shell script to do this. One more doubt: Shall we need to change the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raja_1234
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch job in unix server to move the pdf file from unix to windows.

Hi Experts, I have a requirement where i need to setup a batch job which runs everymonth and move the pdf files from unix server to windows servers. Could some body provide the inputs for this. and also please provide the inputs on how to map the network dirve in the unix like that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ger199901
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Transfer from Window server to UNIX and UNIX to UNIX

Dear All, Can someone help to command or program to transfer the file from windows to Unix server and from one unix server to another Unix server in secure way. I would request no samba client. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
4 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

VIP Membership - The UNIX and Linux Forums - Get Your UNIX.COM Email Address Here

We work hard to make The UNIX and Linux Forums one of the best UNIX and Linux knowledge sources on the net. The site is certainly one of the top UNIX and Linux Q&A sites on the web. In order to provide certain members the best quality account services, you can now get some great extra features by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
MD5SUM(1)							   User Commands							 MD5SUM(1)

NAME
md5sum - compute and check MD5 message digest SYNOPSIS
md5sum [OPTION] [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Print or check MD5 (128-bit) checksums. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. -b, --binary read in binary mode -c, --check read MD5 sums from the FILEs and check them -t, --text read in text mode (default) The following two options are useful only when verifying checksums: --status don't output anything, status code shows success -w, --warn warn about improperly formatted checksum lines --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit The sums are computed as described in RFC 1321. When checking, the input should be a former output of this program. The default mode is to print a line with checksum, a character indicating type (`*' for binary, ` ' for text), and name for each FILE. AUTHOR
Written by Ulrich Drepper, Scott Miller, and David Madore. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software. You may redistribute copies of it under the terms of the GNU General Public License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for md5sum is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and md5sum programs are properly installed at your site, the command info md5sum should give you access to the complete manual. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+--------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+--------------------+ |Availability | SUNWgnu-coreutils | +--------------------+--------------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+--------------------+ NOTES
Source for GNU coreutils is available on http://opensolaris.org. md5sum 6.7 December 2006 MD5SUM(1)