Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: redirect cat to variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting redirect cat to variable Post 302213334 by shailesh_arya on Wednesday 9th of July 2008 09:39:44 PM
Old 07-09-2008
cat

yes if we do echo "$DPATH" it gives proper result. but when i want to use this variable for another use like as below -

Code:
for f in "$DPATH" `find -type f`;
do
processLine 
done

it give wrong result like it cant read file with *.mk in the folder.
BR
shailesh

Last edited by radoulov; 07-10-2008 at 05:35 AM.. Reason: please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect to variable

how do you redirect stdout into a variable. whenever I try I get an ambiguous redirect error :( I am trying to validate some user input and failing miserably. cal $MONTH $YEAR | grep -c "$DAY" if the above is 1 then it is valid if 0 then not valid. I have been trying to redirect the output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrAd
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using a variable inside a file to cat another.

I have a question to do and it's somewhat confusing. It says, and I quote "Create a file called file_1 with three lines of text in it. Create a shell variable called "f_name", assign it the string "file_1". Use the cat command and the variable "f_name" to display the contents of the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaestroRage
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat > variable + format

I wanted to store a value read from a file in a variable with a given format. I was doing the first step as follows : it0="$(cat ./myfile)" I thought the second step would work as: it0= ` printf "%6.3f\n" $it0 ` but it says "./curplot.sh: line 33: 0.035: command not found", although it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: josegr
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat redirect EOF missing text

Hello attempting to redirect out to create a startup script in solaris. The steps are working but the $1 entry is being left out. syntax below and content of output file below. cat > S99build << EOF > #!/bin/bash > case $1 in > 'start') > /usr/os-buildsol.sh > > ;; > esac > exit 0 >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: juanb25
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat file with variable substitution

MyFile contains: ALTER TABLE $DBN.$TBN ADD $COL $TYP COMPRESS ($VAL); I need to cat the file and have it substitute all of the variables with their contents. cat MyFile does not work. The following works for the first line, but errors on the second line because of the paren: $ while read... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phil27577
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving cat values to a variable

I have a file created as ABC!DEF@2014.txt My if condition is based on 2014 so I need to move it to variable. So while I can do this on console screen - ls ABC* -l > test.txt cat test.txt | cut -f 2 -d "@" | cut -f 1 -d "." to get the value - 2014 I am a bit at loss how to achieve this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajiv_kool
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to append a string by cat and redirect to other file?

Hi, when I do cat for kernel parameters cat /proc/sys/kernel/sem >> /etc/sysctl.conf 4096 4096 32 128 The above command working with out any doubt but I want to pass it like below, need to append "kernel.sem =" and pass it to /etc/sysctl.conf kernel.sem = 4096... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat files listed in text file and redirect to new directory with same filename

I have a directory that is restricted and I cannot just copy the files need, but I can cat them and redirect them to a new directory. The files all have the date listed in them. If I perform a long listing and grep for the date (150620) I can redirect that output to a text file. Now I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trigger467
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Carriage return with cat variable

Hi, I wish to know how to works the carriage return with cat.. As a picture often speaks better than words, my code below : #te=`cat text.txt` (I tried this, but the same..) te=$(cat text.txt) echo $te My file text.txt below: BLABLABLABLABLALBLA BLABLABLABLABLALBLA ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Trying to cat a file that is a variable

Thank you in advance for looking at this, I've scoured the internet and can't find the answer I'm looking for!! - I am new at bash script so please bare with me!! I have a script where I've identified individual files within a folder, the filename is then stored as a variable ($filename):... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paperbackwriter
3 Replies
RMF(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    RMF(1)

NAME
rmf - remove an nmh folder SYNOPSIS
rmf [+folder] [-interactive | -nointeractive] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Rmf removes all of the messages (files) within the specified (or default) folder, and then removes the folder (directory) itself. If there are any files within the folder which are not a part of nmh, they will not be removed, and an error will be produced. If the folder is given explicitly or the -nointeractive option is given, then the folder will be removed without confirmation. Otherwise, the user will be asked for confirmation. If rmf can't find the current folder, for some reason, the folder to be removed defaults to `+inbox' (unless overridden by user's profile entry "Inbox") with confirmation. If the folder being removed is a subfolder, the parent folder will become the new current folder, and rmf will produce a message telling the user this has happened. This provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list and returning to the current folder from which the list was extracted. If rmf s used on a read-only folder, it will delete all the (private) sequences (i.e., "atr-seq-folder" entries) for this folder from your context without affecting the folder itself. Rmf irreversibly deletes messages that don't have other links, so use it with caution. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Inbox: To find the default inbox SEE ALSO
rmm(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder, usually with confirmation `-interactive' if +folder' not given, `-nointeractive' otherwise CONTEXT
Rmf will set the current folder to the parent folder if a subfolder is removed; or if the current folder is removed, it will make "inbox" current. Otherwise, it doesn't change the current folder or message. BUGS
Although intuitively one would suspect that rmf works recursively, it does not. Hence if you have a sub-folder within a folder, in order to rmf the parent, you must first rmf each of the children. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMF(1)