Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: redirect cat to variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting redirect cat to variable Post 302213152 by joeyg on Wednesday 9th of July 2008 10:26:08 AM
Old 07-09-2008
Hammer & Screwdriver The wildcard is doing the substitution

See the following example:

Code:
> cat file1
/home/jg/tmp/file_lookup/*.dat
> echo "$DDPATH"
/home/jg/tmp/file_lookup/*.dat
> echo $DDPATH
/home/jg/tmp/file_lookup/sample.dat
> echo /home/jg/tmp/file_lookup/*.dat
/home/jg/tmp/file_lookup/sample.dat
>

So, try putting your variable with the echo inside quotes. echo "$DDPATH"

This is the same as typing the following:
Code:
>vi *.dat

Which would sequentially open for editing every .dat file you have.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect to variable

how do you redirect stdout into a variable. whenever I try I get an ambiguous redirect error :( I am trying to validate some user input and failing miserably. cal $MONTH $YEAR | grep -c "$DAY" if the above is 1 then it is valid if 0 then not valid. I have been trying to redirect the output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrAd
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using a variable inside a file to cat another.

I have a question to do and it's somewhat confusing. It says, and I quote "Create a file called file_1 with three lines of text in it. Create a shell variable called "f_name", assign it the string "file_1". Use the cat command and the variable "f_name" to display the contents of the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaestroRage
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat > variable + format

I wanted to store a value read from a file in a variable with a given format. I was doing the first step as follows : it0="$(cat ./myfile)" I thought the second step would work as: it0= ` printf "%6.3f\n" $it0 ` but it says "./curplot.sh: line 33: 0.035: command not found", although it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: josegr
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat redirect EOF missing text

Hello attempting to redirect out to create a startup script in solaris. The steps are working but the $1 entry is being left out. syntax below and content of output file below. cat > S99build << EOF > #!/bin/bash > case $1 in > 'start') > /usr/os-buildsol.sh > > ;; > esac > exit 0 >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: juanb25
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat file with variable substitution

MyFile contains: ALTER TABLE $DBN.$TBN ADD $COL $TYP COMPRESS ($VAL); I need to cat the file and have it substitute all of the variables with their contents. cat MyFile does not work. The following works for the first line, but errors on the second line because of the paren: $ while read... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phil27577
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving cat values to a variable

I have a file created as ABC!DEF@2014.txt My if condition is based on 2014 so I need to move it to variable. So while I can do this on console screen - ls ABC* -l > test.txt cat test.txt | cut -f 2 -d "@" | cut -f 1 -d "." to get the value - 2014 I am a bit at loss how to achieve this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajiv_kool
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to append a string by cat and redirect to other file?

Hi, when I do cat for kernel parameters cat /proc/sys/kernel/sem >> /etc/sysctl.conf 4096 4096 32 128 The above command working with out any doubt but I want to pass it like below, need to append "kernel.sem =" and pass it to /etc/sysctl.conf kernel.sem = 4096... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat files listed in text file and redirect to new directory with same filename

I have a directory that is restricted and I cannot just copy the files need, but I can cat them and redirect them to a new directory. The files all have the date listed in them. If I perform a long listing and grep for the date (150620) I can redirect that output to a text file. Now I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trigger467
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Carriage return with cat variable

Hi, I wish to know how to works the carriage return with cat.. As a picture often speaks better than words, my code below : #te=`cat text.txt` (I tried this, but the same..) te=$(cat text.txt) echo $te My file text.txt below: BLABLABLABLABLALBLA BLABLABLABLABLALBLA ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Trying to cat a file that is a variable

Thank you in advance for looking at this, I've scoured the internet and can't find the answer I'm looking for!! - I am new at bash script so please bare with me!! I have a script where I've identified individual files within a folder, the filename is then stored as a variable ($filename):... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paperbackwriter
3 Replies
GETRUSAGE(3)								 1							      GETRUSAGE(3)

getrusage - Gets the current resource usages

SYNOPSIS
array getrusage ([int $who]) DESCRIPTION
This is an interface to getrusage(2). It gets data returned from the system call. PARAMETERS
o $who - If $who is 1, getrusage will be called with RUSAGE_CHILDREN. RETURN VALUES
Returns an associative array containing the data returned from the system call. All entries are accessible by using their documented field names. EXAMPLES
Example #1 getrusage(3) example <?php $dat = getrusage(); echo $dat["ru_nswap"]; // number of swaps echo $dat["ru_majflt"]; // number of page faults echo $dat["ru_utime.tv_sec"]; // user time used (seconds) echo $dat["ru_utime.tv_usec"]; // user time used (microseconds) ?> CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------+ | 7.0.0 | | | | | | | This function is now supported on Windows. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------+ NOTES
Note On Windows getrusage(3) will only return the following members: o "ru_stime.tv_sec" o "ru_stime.tv_usec" o "ru_utime.tv_sec" o "ru_utime.tv_usec" o "ru_majflt" (only if $who is RUSAGE_SELF) o "ru_maxrss" (only if $who is RUSAGE_SELF) If getrusage(3) is called with $who set to 1 ( RUSAGE_CHILDREN), then resource usage for threads are collected (meaning that inter- nally the function is called with RUSAGE_THREAD). Note on BeOS 2000, only the following members are returned: o "ru_stime.tv_sec" o "ru_stime.tv_usec" o "ru_utime.tv_sec" o "ru_utime.tv_usec" SEE ALSO
Your system's man page on getrusage(2). PHP Documentation Group GETRUSAGE(3)