Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Repeat previous unix command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Repeat previous unix command Post 302212400 by vbe on Monday 7th of July 2008 12:27:21 PM
Old 07-07-2008
Depends what shell you are using...
e.g. for Solaris
if you use /usr/bin/ksh:

# set -o vi (if not done yet as EDITOR=... in .profile...)
then its Esc+ k (backward...) j (Forward)
This works because you have a history file set...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Repeat a command in a shell

Hi there, i would like to repeat a command in a shell sript (bash) the script starts with a menu to choose a menu point to do something .... on the end of the script i would like to restart the programm to choose the menu points on the beginning. I would also make a sript that send... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotty
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

previous,next command in unix

Hi , after pressing down arrow,up arrow I want to find previous,next command in unix wat can i do for tat plz tell me I am accesing unix server thru telnet. my shell prompt ksh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arulkumar
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeat last entered command ?

Hi, how to do that ? I mean only print it but not execute. I'm using putty to interact with ksh. (in windows cmd up arrow does the job) thanks vilius (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeat same command on multiple lines

HI I have a text file named docs with 100 filenames with full directory path one by one. I want to perform an action on all of them, the action i want to do this chown bin:bin <filename>. The <filename> should be each line in the docs text file. Please give the code. Somebody told to use for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PrasannaKS
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Repeat output of last command w/o repeating last command

Is there a way to repeat the output of the last command for filtering without running the command again? All I could think of was to copy all the data to a text file and process it that way, is there another way? Like say I want to grep server.server.lan from a dtrace that was pages long after I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeat a command for one sec

How to repeat the execution of a simple command like the following for 1 sec ? echo Hi The completion time for the command is not known, but we need to calculate the number of times this commans executes successfully within 1 sec. Thanks Kumarjit (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to print previous year in UNIX

hi all, I use date +%Y which gives Current year. Requirement: I want previous year to be printed. Please help me. Note: I tried date +%d/%m/%Y -d "-1 years" which is not working. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: wasim999
10 Replies

8. Programming

Java: Repeat a command

I came across a site to learn java and they give you practice problems to do. I was wondering if anyone can help me with this since I am totally new to Java. Here is the first problem: Write a program that will read in a name from the command line and write it out 100 times. Thank you for any... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: totoro125
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute previous command in UNIX?

Hi, I was able to use !! on the console. But when I used !! in the run.sh, it says something like command not found. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Repeat history command?

Assume i have typed 4 commands in the past like vi `ls -t |head -n 1` tail -2 test.txt ls -lrt | grep "/etc/profile.d" pwd Now if i type r p it should execute the command "pwd" likewise r t should execute tail -2 test.txt. Note: esc k and using up arrow and down arrow will get this work... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramanareddygv
3 Replies
pfexec(1)							   User Commands							 pfexec(1)

NAME
pfexec, pfsh, pfcsh, pfksh - execute a command in a profile SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/pfexec command /usr/bin/pfexec -P privspec command [ arg ...] /usr/bin/pfsh [ options ] [ argument ...] /usr/bin/pfcsh [ options ] [ argument ...] /usr/bin/pfksh [ options ] [ argument ...] DESCRIPTION
The pfexec program is used to execute commands with the attributes specified by the user's profiles in the exec_attr(4) database. It is invoked by the profile shells, pfsh, pfcsh, and pfksh which are linked to the Bourne shell, C shell, and Korn shell, respectively. Profiles are searched in the order specified in the user's entry in the user_attr(4) database. If the same command appears in more than one profile, the profile shell uses the first matching entry. The second form, pfexec -P privspec, allows a user to obtain the additional privileges awarded to the user's profiles in prof_attr(4). The privileges specification on the commands line is parsed using priv_str_to_set(3C). The resulting privileges are intersected with the union of the privileges specified using the "privs" keyword in prof_attr(4) for all the user's profiles and added to the inheritable set before executing the command. USAGE
pfexec is used to execute commands with predefined process attributes, such as specific user or group IDs. Refer to the sh(1), csh(1), and ksh(1) man pages for complete usage descriptions of the profile shells. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Obtaining additional user privileges example% pfexec -P all chown user file This command runs chown user file with all privileges assigned to the current user, not necessarily all privileges. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), profiles(1), sh(1), exec_attr(4), prof_attr(4), user_attr(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 3 Mar 2003 pfexec(1)