Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hidden Files in Linux
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Hidden Files in Linux Post 302211995 by Arun.Kakarla on Saturday 5th of July 2008 04:45:42 PM
Old 07-05-2008
Thank you

Regards
Arun.Kakarla

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Hidden files and protecting the folder containing hidden files from deletion

Hi. I have a script which is deleting files with a particular extension and older than 45 days.The code is: find <path> -name "<filename_pattern>" -mtime +45 -exec rm {} \; But the problem is that some important files are also getting deleted.To prevent this I have decide to make a dummy... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pochaw
4 Replies

2. Solaris

To get the hidden files information only

Hi all, I want to get only hidden files(which are start with '.' or '..') information in a current directory. I tried the below command, $ find . -name "^." -exec ls -la '{}' \; but it's not working. Can anyone give me your outputs. Thanks in advance, Raghu. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.iv85
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hidden files

I usually use ls -al | awk '{sum = sum + $5} END {print sum}' to sum the size of all files in a directory. However this command includes the hidden files. Is there a command to just add up all the files/sub-directories excluding the hidden files (begins with . and ..) I wanted to check the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
10 Replies

4. Linux

hidden temporaty files in Linux

Hi, Some porocess is creating hidden temporary files in /tmp directory. And they are not getting deleted. System is going out of disk space after some days. The temp files are getting created like .<user name><pid>. I have checked the application code, but didnt get any clue. Does these ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: viswath.sen
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hidden files

How to list out only the hidden files from a directory ? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
4 Replies

6. AIX

Moving Hidden files to normal files

I have a bunch of hidden files in a directory in AIX. I would like to move these hidden files as regular files to another directory. Say i have the following files in directory /x .test~1234~567 .report~5678~123 .find~9876~576 i would like to move them to directory /y as test~1234~567... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: umesh.narain
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find all files in the current directory excluding hidden files and directories

Find all files in the current directory only excluding hidden directories and files. For the below command, though it's not deleting hidden files.. it is traversing through the hidden directories and listing normal which should be avoided. `find . \( ! -name ".*" -prune \) -mtime +${n_days}... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksailesh1
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync - how to copy hidden folder or hidden files when using full path

Hello. I use this command : rsync -av --include=".*" --dry-run "$A_FULL_PATH_S" "$A_FULL_PATH_D"The data comes from the output of a find command. And no full source directories are in use, only some files. Source example... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies
SIZE(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   SIZE(1)

NAME
size -- display section sizes and total size of ELF objects SYNOPSIS
size [--format=format] [--help] [--radix=radix] [--totals] [--version] [-ABVdhotx] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The size utility lists the sizes of ELF sections, and optionally the total size, for each input file specified on the command line. The size utility can operate on ELF objects, on ar(1) archives containing ELF objects, and on core dumps. If no file name is specified on the com- mand-line, a.out is assumed. The size utility recognized the following options: --format=format Display output using the format specified by argument format. Supported values for this argument are: 'berkeley' and 'sysv'. The default output format is 'berkeley'. See Display Formats below for more information. --help Display a help message and exit. --radix=radix Display numeric values using the radix specified by argument radix. Supported values for radix are 8, 10 and 16. The default radix is 10. --totals Shows cumulative totals of section sizes from all objects. This option is ignored for System V style output. --version Display a version identifier and exit. -A Equivalent to specifying option --format=sysv. -B Equivalent to specifying option --format=berkeley. -V Equivalent to specifying option --version. -d Equivalent to specifying option --radix=10. -h Equivalent to specifying option --help. -o Equivalent to specifying option --radix=8. -t Equivalent to specifying option --totals. -x Equivalent to specifying option --radix=16. DISPLAY FORMATS
Berkeley Style Output If 'berkeley' style output is in effect, an initial header line naming fields will be output, followed by one line of output for each ELF object specified on the command line or found in an archive. Each line will contain the following whitespace separated fields in order: 1. The size of the text segment in the object. 2. The size of the data segment in the object. 3. The size of the 'bss' segment in the object. 4. The total size of the object in either decimal or octal. Decimal output is used if the specified output radix for numeric values is 10 or 16. Octal output is used if the radix being used for numeric values is 8. 5. The total size of the object in hexadecimal. 6. The file name of the object. If option --totals was specified, an additional line in the same format as above will be output at the end containing the sum of the respec- tive fields. The file name field for the line will contain the string '(TOTALS)'. System V Style Output If System V style output is selected, size will output the following information for each object: 1. The name of the object followed by a colon. 2. A header line containing the names of fields of subsequent lines. 3. One line per section present in the object. Each line has three fields: 1. The name of the section. 2. Its size, in the selected radix for numeric values. 3. The address associated with the section, in the selected numeric radix. 4. A line whose section name field contains the string 'Total' and whose size field contains the sum of all reported section sizes. EXIT STATUS
The size utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
To display the section sizes for /bin/ls use: $ size /bin/ls text data bss dec hex filename 20975 540 392 21907 5593 /bin/ls To display sizes and total for /bin/ls and /bin/dd in hexadecimal, use: $ size -tx /bin/ls /bin/dd text data bss dec hex filename 0x51ef 0x21c 0x188 21907 5593 /bin/ls 0x3df5 0x170 0x200 16741 4165 /bin/dd 0x8fe4 0x38c 0x388 38648 96f8 (TOTALS) To display section sizes for /bin/ls in System V format use: $ size -A /bin/ls /bin/ls : section size addr .interp 21 4194704 .note.ABI-tag 24 4194728 .hash 624 4194752 .dynsym 2088 4195376 .dynstr 810 4197464 .rela.dyn 120 4198280 .rela.plt 1656 4198400 .init 19 4200056 .plt 1120 4200076 .text 15224 4201200 .fini 14 4216424 .rodata 1472 4216448 .data 80 5267456 .eh_frame 1624 5267536 .dynamic 384 5269160 .ctors 16 5269544 .dtors 16 5269560 .jcr 8 5269576 .got 576 5269584 .bss 528 5270176 .comment 686 0 Total 27110 SEE ALSO
ar(1), nm(1), objdump(1), readelf(1), strings(1), elf(3), gelf(3) AT&T Unix Systems Labs, System V Application Binary Interface, http://www.sco.com/developers/gabi/. HISTORY
The size utility first appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. AUTHORS
The size utility was re-written by S. Sam Arun Raj <samarunraj@gmail.com> This manual page was written by S. Sam Arun Raj <samarunraj@gmail.com> BSD
August 25, 2011 BSD