Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hidden Files in Linux
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Hidden Files in Linux Post 302211979 by matrixmadhan on Saturday 5th of July 2008 03:45:42 PM
Old 07-05-2008
Its like any other regular file

create with a dot "." prefixed

filenam = ".new.txt"

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Hidden files and protecting the folder containing hidden files from deletion

Hi. I have a script which is deleting files with a particular extension and older than 45 days.The code is: find <path> -name "<filename_pattern>" -mtime +45 -exec rm {} \; But the problem is that some important files are also getting deleted.To prevent this I have decide to make a dummy... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pochaw
4 Replies

2. Solaris

To get the hidden files information only

Hi all, I want to get only hidden files(which are start with '.' or '..') information in a current directory. I tried the below command, $ find . -name "^." -exec ls -la '{}' \; but it's not working. Can anyone give me your outputs. Thanks in advance, Raghu. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.iv85
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hidden files

I usually use ls -al | awk '{sum = sum + $5} END {print sum}' to sum the size of all files in a directory. However this command includes the hidden files. Is there a command to just add up all the files/sub-directories excluding the hidden files (begins with . and ..) I wanted to check the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
10 Replies

4. Linux

hidden temporaty files in Linux

Hi, Some porocess is creating hidden temporary files in /tmp directory. And they are not getting deleted. System is going out of disk space after some days. The temp files are getting created like .<user name><pid>. I have checked the application code, but didnt get any clue. Does these ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: viswath.sen
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hidden files

How to list out only the hidden files from a directory ? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
4 Replies

6. AIX

Moving Hidden files to normal files

I have a bunch of hidden files in a directory in AIX. I would like to move these hidden files as regular files to another directory. Say i have the following files in directory /x .test~1234~567 .report~5678~123 .find~9876~576 i would like to move them to directory /y as test~1234~567... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: umesh.narain
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find all files in the current directory excluding hidden files and directories

Find all files in the current directory only excluding hidden directories and files. For the below command, though it's not deleting hidden files.. it is traversing through the hidden directories and listing normal which should be avoided. `find . \( ! -name ".*" -prune \) -mtime +${n_days}... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksailesh1
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync - how to copy hidden folder or hidden files when using full path

Hello. I use this command : rsync -av --include=".*" --dry-run "$A_FULL_PATH_S" "$A_FULL_PATH_D"The data comes from the output of a find command. And no full source directories are in use, only some files. Source example... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies
Linux::Distribution(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Linux::Distribution(3pm)

NAME
Linux::Distribution - Perl extension to detect on which Linux distribution we are running. SYNOPSIS
use Linux::Distribution qw(distribution_name distribution_version); if(my $distro = distribution_name) { my $version = distribution_version(); print "you are running $distro, version $version "; } else { print "distribution unknown "; } Or else do it OO: use Linux::Distribution qw(distribution_name distribution_version); my $linux = Linux::Distribution->new; if(my $distro = $linux->distribution_name()) { my $version = $linux->distribution_version(); print "you are running $distro, version $version "; } else { print "distribution unknown "; } DESCRIPTION
This is a simple module that tries to guess on what linux distribution we are running by looking for release's files in /etc. It now looks for 'lsb-release' first as that should be the most correct and adds ubuntu support. Secondly, it will look for the distro specific files. It currently recognizes slackware, debian, suse, fedora, redhat, turbolinux, yellowdog, knoppix, mandrake, conectiva, immunix, tinysofa, va-linux, trustix, adamantix, yoper, arch-linux, libranet, gentoo, ubuntu, scientific, oracle enterprise linux and redflag. It has function to get the version for debian, suse, fedora, redhat, gentoo, slackware, scientific, oracle enterprise linux, redflag and ubuntu(lsb). People running unsupported distro's are greatly encouraged to submit patches :-) EXPORT None by default. TODO
Add the capability of recognize the version of the distribution for all recognized distributions. AUTHORS
Alexandr Ciornii <alexchorny@gmail.com>, <http://chorny.net> Alberto Re, <alberto@accidia.net> Judith Lebzelter, <judith@osdl.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.8.5 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. perl v5.14.2 2012-03-18 Linux::Distribution(3pm)