Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sed command in shell script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed command in shell script Post 302211960 by stevie_velvet on Saturday 5th of July 2008 01:15:18 PM
Old 07-05-2008
So before your sed, you need to test if the string exists in the file, something like

grep -q "String" <filename> >& /dev/null

if ($status == 0) then
echo "String exist, do something"
else
echo "do something else or exit" >> <filename>
endif

syntax neeeds clearing up bu the skeletal is there & a more elegant 1 line job (.e.e. perl) may be around too

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with sed command in shell script.

Guys, I've a problem in the "sed" command used in my shellscripts This is the problamatic line in my shell script: sed -e 's/${line1}/${line1_m}/g' prod_hier_1234.txt > test.txt It doesn't do the job of replacing the string stored in variable 'line1' to 'line1_m'. However If I replace the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagat.singh-j
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick Question on sed command in shell script

Hello, I have the following line in one of my shell scripts. It works fine when the search string($SERACH_STR) exists in the logfile($ALERTLOG) but if the search string does not exist this line errors out at run time. Is there a way to make this line return 0 if it is not able to find the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help using sed command in shell script?

Hello, i want to take the input from user and according to that variable's value search in file emp.lst. Here is what i came up with echo -e "Enter string to be searched :\c" read str sed -n '/\$str/p' emp.lst this is not working! any idea why?Thanks in advance! :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: salman4u
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

"sed" command is not working in shell script

Hi All, I am not much strong in shell scripting... I am using sed command in my script to find and replace a string....... This is how script looks : ############# #!/usr/bin/ksh CONFIG_FILE=iom_test.txt FIND=`echo "NIS_FTP_SERVER1=123.456.iom.com"` REPLACE=`echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: askumarece
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script/sed command help

First off I have read the man pages for sed and am still having trouble working on a script to remove portions of a log: My goal is to take a log file to be emailed, read the file and strip the portions away AFTER the line MIME-Version:1.0 and strip away until it to the line starting with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: murphybr
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using SED command in a shell script: Unterminated address regex

Hi All, I am trying to use a sed command in a shell script in order to delete some lines in a file and I got the following error message. I don't understand why it is not working 'cause I have tried with simple quotes, then with double-quotes, and it is not working. sed: -e expression #1,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alpha3363
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command using variables in shell script

hi guys, The following command doesn't seem to work in my shell script: tag=$(sed -n '/${line}/ s/.*\.*/\1/p' myfile.txt) When i replace the ${line} with an actual value, it works fine. So, how do i use the ${line} in this sed command? Thanks in advance, Zaff (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaff
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to pass shell script variable to awk command in same shell script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command not accepting variable in shell script

I am using a shell script in fedora linux. While calling to the shell I am also passing an argument (var1=0.77) like shown below sh gossip.sh var1=0.77 in the shell following command is written (which doesn't work) sed - i -e 's@prob=@prob="$var1";//@g' file.txt Actually i want the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fakhar Hassan
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed working on command line but file unchanged when execute with Shell script

I have a simple task to replace unix line feed end of line characters with carriage returns. When I run the following “change file in place” sed instruction from the command line all the Line feeds are successfully replaced with Carriage returns. sed -i 's/$/\r/' lf_file.txt But that same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hawkman2k
1 Replies
TEST(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   TEST(1)

NAME
test - set status according to condition SYNOPSIS
test expr DESCRIPTION
Test evaluates the expression expr. If the value is true the exit status is null; otherwise the exit status is non-null. If there are no arguments the exit status is non-null. The following primitives are used to construct expr. -r file True if the file exists (is accessible) and is readable. -w file True if the file exists and is writable. -x file True if the file exists and has execute permission. -e file True if the file exists. -f file True if the file exists and is a plain file. -d file True if the file exists and is a directory. -s file True if the file exists and has a size greater than zero. -t fildes True if the open file whose file descriptor number is fildes (1 by default) is the same file as /dev/cons. s1 = s2 True if the strings s1 and s2 are identical. s1 != s2 True if the strings s1 and s2 are not identical. s1 True if s1 is not the null string. (Deprecated.) -n s1 True if the length of string s1 is non-zero. -z s1 True if the length of string s1 is zero. n1 -eq n2 True if the integers n1 and n2 are arithmetically equal. Any of the comparisons -ne, -gt, -ge, -lt, or -le may be used in place of -eq. The (nonstandard) construct -l string, meaning the length of string, may be used in place of an integer. These primaries may be combined with the following operators: ! unary negation operator -o binary or operator -a binary and operator; higher precedence than -o ( expr ) parentheses for grouping. The primitives -b, -u, -g, and -s return false; they are recognized for compatibility with POSIX. Notice that all the operators and flags are separate arguments to test. Notice also that parentheses and equal signs are meaningful to rc and must be enclosed in quotes. EXAMPLES
Test is a dubious way to check for specific character strings: it uses a process to do what an rc(1) match or switch statement can do. The first example is not only inefficient but wrong, because test understands the purported string "-c" as an option. if (test $1 '=' "-c") echo OK # wrong! A better way is if (~ $1 -c) echo OK Test whether is in the current directory. test -f abc -o -d abc SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/test.c SEE ALSO
rc(1) TEST(1)