Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: string checking
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting string checking Post 302211038 by fpmurphy on Wednesday 2nd of July 2008 01:24:19 PM
Old 07-02-2008
works with ksh and bash
Code:
if [[ ${str//[0-9]/} ]]; then
   print "ERROR: Not a numeric string"
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking if string contains integer

G'day guys, first post so be gentle. I need help with some code to work out if a variable (string) contains any integers. The valid variable (string) must contain only letters. Also need to be able to work out if a variable contains only integers. Any help greatly appreciated. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: haz
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Checking the header and trailer for a given string and if not found, exit out of the

hi, How to check a given file for a string and if it's not found, exit out ofthe script? e.g. a file Test123 is there whose header begins with #bt and trailer begins with #ed. I have to check if the header and trailer matches as above and if not, exit out of the script. How can we do it in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for the presence of a string within another string

How to check if a string in contained in another string ? Like Whether the String "brown" is contained in "A quick brown fox jumps over a lazy the dog" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hidnana
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ksh Checking if string has 2 characters and does not contain digits?

How could I check if a string variable contains at least (or only) 2 characters, and check and make sure that the string does not contain any numeric digits?...I need to know how to do this as simple as possible. and I am using the Ksh shell. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: developncode
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

string checking

lets think str is a variable...how can i check it is pure alphabetic or not for numeric checking i have used echo $str|grep -v ] but the command echo $str|grep -v ] is not working (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arghya_owen
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking files in folder using starting string for filename

Hi, How do i check if there are any files present in the folder with some specific starting string. For eg :- I have used this where Source_File is filename parameter. if then return 2 fi But in my case the source file name is not constant. The only constant thing is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetancrsp18
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking variable with specific string and stripping number from it.

I am parsing a file and I get differnt results everytime. Sometimes I get 12s sometimes I get 54m and sometime 3h.. v1=12s or v1=54m or v1=3h 12s - 12 seconds 54m - 54 minutes 3h - 3 hour I have to write a script in such a way that it whenever v1 is in minutes, I should strip "m"... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayeshpatel
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append string checking other same string?

Hi , I have a file likeA-0044150|ABC/Frito/ A-0044150|GFHU A-0150075|Bud Racing A-0187811|Bud Light A-0187811|RW&B signmaking I Want the o/p likeA-0044150|ABC/Frito/,GFHU A-0150075|Bud Racing A-0187811|Bud Light,RW&B signmaking (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagdishrout
2 Replies

9. Programming

Checking not empty string

I have a string s Are the following equivalent? if ( ! s.empty() ) { } if ( s ) { } (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the purpose of "-z" string checking?

what is the purpose of below specially "-z" string checking, how? pid=`ps ax |grep java` if (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
3 Replies
pure-pw(8)							     Pure-FTPd								pure-pw(8)

NAME
pure-pw - Manage virtual users files for Pure-FTPd SYNTAX
pure-pw useradd login [-f passwd_file] [-F puredb_file] -u uid [-g gid] -D/-d home_directory [-c gecos] [-t download_bandwidth] [-T upload_bandwidth] [-n max number_of_files] [-N max_Mbytes] [-q upload_ratio] [-Q download_ratio] [-r <allow client host>/<mask>[,<ip>/<mask>]...] [-R <deny client host>/<mask>[,<ip>/<mask>]...] [-i <allow local host>/<mask>[,<ip>/<mask>]...] [-I <deny local host>/<mask>[,<ip>/<mask>]...] [-y <max number of concurrent sessions>] [-z <hhmm>-<hhmm>] [-m] pure-pw usermod login [-f passwd_file] [-F puredb_file] [-u uid] [-g gid] -D/-d home_directory -[c gecos] [-t download_bandwidth] [-T upload_bandwidth] [-n max_number_of_files] [-N max_Mbytes] [-q upload_ratio] [-Q download_ratio] [-r <allow client host>/<mask>[,<ip>/<mask>]...] [-R <deny client host>/<mask>[,<ip>/<mask>]...] [-i <allow local host>/<mask>[,<ip>/<mask>]...] [-I <deny local host>/<mask>[,<ip>/<mask>]...] [-y <max number of concurrent sessions>] [-z <hhmm>-<hhmm>] [-m] pure-pw userdel login [-f passwd_file] [-F puredb_file] [-m] pure-pw passwd login [-f passwd_file] [-F puredb_file] [-m] pure-pw show login [-f passwd_file] [-m] pure-pw mkdb [<puredb_database_file> [-f passwd_file]] [-F puredb_file] pure-pw list [-f passwd_file] DESCRIPTION
Virtual users is a simple mechanism to store a list of users, with their password, name, uid, directory, etc. It's just like /etc/passwd. But it's not /etc/passwd. It's a different file, only for FTP. It means that you can easily create FTP-only accounts without messing your system accounts. Additionnaly, virtual users files can store individual quotas, ratios, bandwidth, etc. System accounts can't do this. Thousands of virtual users can share the same system user, as long as they all are chrooted, and they have their own home directory. FILES
/etc/pure-ftpd/pureftpd.passwd /etc/pure-ftpd/pureftpd.pdb ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
PURE_PASSWDFILE If this variable is defined, this is the default value for the text password file. Without this variable, /etc/pure- ftpd/pureftpd.passwd is assumed. PURE_DBFILE If this variable is defined, this is the default value for the PureDB password file. Without this variable, /etc/pure- ftpd/pureftpd.pdb is assumed. EXAMPLES
Please read http://download.pureftpd.org/pub/pure-ftpd/doc/README.Virtual-Users AUTHORS
Frank DENIS <j at pureftpd dot org> SEE ALSO
ftp(1), pure-ftpd(8) pure-ftpwho(8) pure-mrtginfo(8) pure-uploadscript(8) pure-statsdecode(8) pure-pw(8) pure-quotacheck(8) pure-authd(8) RFC 959, RFC 2228, RFC 2389 and RFC 2428. Pure-FTPd team 1.0.36 pure-pw(8)