Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Unable to remove file using rm: Disk space is full Post 302207330 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 19th of June 2008 02:33:11 PM
Old 06-19-2008
It looks like every directory is mounted on the same physical device or disk parititon.
Is there any other paritition in use by your system? One that is not loaded? try mv-ing a file to someplace on the other partition to free up disk space. The df command will show you where all of your mountpoints are.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

[Sol10/VMWare] Unable to see new disk space.

The master copy was set to 5 gigs. As the instance is cloned, additional space is provided. I was given a new instance along with 15 gigs of additional space. The problem is I can't see the additional space, either as additional space on the primary disk or as a second disk. # format Searching... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
8 Replies

2. Solaris

solaris 8 / disk space almost full

Hi All, My Solaris 8 firewall server is getting full on the / filesystem. I don't know which one should I delete. I think there's no more to delete on the file like logs or temp file. Does someone knows about deleting a safe file (or folder) on FS like /usr, /opt, /platform, /kernel, /sbin?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to install new packages when disk space is full

during installation i created four partitions mainly / 5GB /home 1GB /boot 100MB swap 2GB now since i didnt make the /usr partition all of the packages were being installed in the / partition ..now all the space in the / partition is filled ...i ran du -h... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarunicon
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Unable to understand disk layout and where are the free space

Hi I am unable to understand the disk layout of one of my disk attached to v240. This is newly installed system from jumpstart. I am unable to see the free space on backup slice 2 and there are 0 to 8 slices listed when I run format and print the disk info, also there is no reference of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Disk Space full

I was tryin to copy a large file under /tmp location. I guess the disk space got full and i got fork error. Then I tried removing some files but the shell did not let me do anything bash> rm apache22.tar bash: fork: Not enough space bash> pwd /tmp bash> vmstat 1 bash: fork: Not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to catch the redirection error when the disk is full

Hi Experts, Problem summary : I am facing the below problem on huge files when the disk is getting full on the half way through the execution. If the disk was already full , the commands fail & everything is fine. Sample Code : head_rec_data_file=`head -1 sample_file.txt` cat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pruthviraj_shiv
9 Replies

7. Solaris

Unable to find utilized disk space on zone server.

Hi, I am unable to find remaining space on solaris 10. below is output. I am facing this issue on zone server. bash-3.00# df -h / Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on / 59G 59G 0K 100% / bash-3.00# pwd / bash-3.00# du -sh * 1K File_Stores 19K TT_DB 9K app 1K bin... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

8. HP-UX

Unable to get full FS space after mounting

Hi, I am unable to get the full FS space, as /home is 100% utilized and after deleting unwanted files, its still 100%. After checking the du -sk * | sort -n output and converting it to MBs, the total sizes comes out to be 351 MBs only however the lvol is of 3GB. I don't know where is all the space... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kits
2 Replies

9. AIX

Unable to remove VIOS disk

Hello, I am unable to remove the disk, whenever i remove the disk using rmdev -dl hdisk2 or rmdev -Rdl hdisk2 the disk appears back when i run cfgmgr but unable to create any volume group on it # mkvg -y foovg hdisk2 0516-008 /usr/sbin/mkvg: LVM system call returned an unknown ... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
20 Replies
df_ufs(1M)						  System Administration Commands						df_ufs(1M)

NAME
df_ufs - report free disk space on ufs file systems SYNOPSIS
df -F ufs [generic_options] [-o i] [directory | special] DESCRIPTION
df displays the amount of disk space occupied by ufs file systems, the amount of used and available space, and how much of the file sys- tem's total capacity has been used.The amount of space reported as used and available is less than the amount of space in the file system; this is because the system reserves a fraction of the space in the file system to allow its file system allocation routines to work well. The amount reserved is typically about 10%; this can be adjusted using tunefs(1M). When all the space on the file system except for this reserve is in use, only the superuser can allocate new files and data blocks to existing files. When the file system is overallocated in this way, df might report that the file system is more than 100% utilized.If neither directory nor special is specified, df displays infor- mation for all mounted ufs file systems. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: generic_options Options supported by the generic df command. See df(1M) for a description of these options. -o Specify ufs file system specific options. The available option is: i Report the number of used and free inodes. This option can not be used with generic_options. FILES
/etc/mnttab list of file systems currently mounted ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu, SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
df(1M), fsck(1M), fstyp(1M), tunefs(1M), mnttab(4), attributes(5), ufs(7FS), NOTES
df calculates its results differently for mounted and unmounted file systems. For unmounted systems, the numbers reflect the 10% reserva- tion. This reservation is not reflected in df output for mounted file systems. For this reason, the available space reported by the generic command can differ from the available space reported by this module. df might report remaining capacity even though syslog warns filesystem full. This issue can occur because df only uses the available frag- ment count to calculate available space, but the file system requires contiguous sets of fragments for most allocations. If you suspect that you have exhausted contiguous fragments on your file system, you can use the fstyp(1M) utility with the -v option. In the fstyp output, look at the nbfree (number of blocks free) and nffree (number of fragments free) fields. On unmounted filesystems, you can use fsck(1M) and observe the last line of output, which reports, among other items, the number of fragments and the degree of fragmen- tation. See fsck(1M). SunOS 5.11 25 Feb 2005 df_ufs(1M)