Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hardening Solaris 10
Operating Systems Solaris Hardening Solaris 10 Post 302203727 by flood on Monday 9th of June 2008 04:45:51 PM
Old 06-09-2008
That worked thanks!

I am just messing around with this system for now so I ran the hardening.driver. Would that cover all the basics? I plan on putting the system behind just a linksys router that has a firewall.

The description for the hardening.driver says its to implement the Solaris OS hardening recommendations that are docuemented in the Sun BluePrints Onlline articles. So I figured that would be enough to get me started?

I just don't want to have an open to the world system. There isn't anything really important going on this box. Any suggestions would be appreicated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Any leads to hardening UNIX

Hi! I am trying to get info/best practices/how-to harden unix, especially solaris! Appreciate any leads please..................... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdharmap
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Hardening Solaris

What do we need to do to harden a freshly installed solaris OS? like disable telnet, no ftp for root etc...What all services you need to stop? How to check what ports are open? etc etc....please provide all tips that come to your mind...thanks:) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcmrulzz
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sysctl help needed.(Server Hardening).

As per Hardening guide for the server. ICMP Broadcast Response: The kernel parameter icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts must match to 1 However when i check the value of icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts it thrown an error as unkonwn key. # sysctl icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts error:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris Hardening - SunJass

Hi guys, Is there any script or program which i can use to verify that my hardening setting is all correct ? Recently i am given a task to make sure my Sun servers are all harden properly though sunjass was already introduced. I need to generate a report to convince my manager that the settings... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahlude
0 Replies

5. SuSE

Hardening Suse11 sp1

Currently we are hardening our Solaris server using the Sun provided Jass Security tool kit. How Can I implement the same security level on SUSE11 SP1? Are there any tools similar/equivalent to Jass for SUSE11 SP1? Tanks and Regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vcfko
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SuSe Linux Hardening

We've got a FTP server that's open to the public network and its running on Suse SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64) SP2 Now, since it's an FTP server I can't disable that service, but how else do I harden this server from attacks from outside? I am thinking of disabling the firewall and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Need jass hardening documentation

Hi, Where I could find information about "Jass hardening" for Solaris10? Because, I change the /opt/SUNWjass/Files/etc/syslog.conf file. But yet I don't know if I must restart the jass (and how?) or I must to copy /opt/SUNWjass/Files/etc/syslog.conf to /etc/syslog.conf? Thanks for your... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiddenshadow
2 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

C-ICAP Hardening

Does anyone have any experience hardening the c-icap.conf file? Here is the default config file, it has a lot of options; sorry about how long it is. I have removed some entries that were not needed as well, but it is still so long :D. Any help is much appreciated as I have never dealt with ICAP. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: savigabi
0 Replies

9. Linux

Password hardening using pam

Hi We have a requirement to vary the minimum password criteria by the group to which a user belongs. For example a standard user should have a password with a minimum length of 12 and containing a mix of characters whereas an administrator should have a password with a minimum length of 14... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gregsih
1 Replies

10. HP-UX

Security hardening for standard HP-UX users

Hi, The standard accounts that are created during the HP-UX installation, eg, bin,adm,daemon,uucp,lp,hpdb and nobody have their own shell. Will there be any impact if we change these user's shell to /bin/false? Like processes get interrupted, files cannot be generated, etc. Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
3 Replies
dpkg-buildflags(1)						    dpkg suite							dpkg-buildflags(1)

NAME
dpkg-buildflags - returns build flags to use during package build SYNOPSIS
dpkg-buildflags [option...] [command] DESCRIPTION
dpkg-buildflags is a tool to retrieve compilation flags to use during build of Debian packages. The default flags are defined by the ven- dor but they can be extended/overriden in several ways: 1. system-wide with /etc/dpkg/buildflags.conf; 2. for the current user with $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/dpkg/buildflags.conf where $XDG_CONFIG_HOME defaults to $HOME/.config; 3. temporarily by the user with environment variables (see section ENVIRONMENT); 4. dynamically by the package maintainer with environment variables set via debian/rules (see section ENVIRONMENT). The configuration files can contain two types of directives: SET flag value Override the flag named flag to have the value value. STRIP flag value Strip from the flag named flag all the build flags listed in value. APPEND flag value Extend the flag named flag by appending the options given in value. A space is prepended to the appended value if the flag's cur- rent value is non-empty. PREPEND flag value Extend the flag named flag by prepending the options given in value. A space is appended to the prepended value if the flag's cur- rent value is non-empty. The configuration files can contain comments on lines starting with a hash (#). Empty lines are also ignored. COMMANDS
--dump Print to standard output all compilation flags and their values. It prints one flag per line separated from its value by an equal sign ("flag=value"). This is the default action. --list Print the list of flags supported by the current vendor (one per line). See the SUPPORTED FLAGS section for more information about them. --status Display any information that can be useful to explain the behaviour of dpkg-buildflags: relevant environment variables, current ven- dor, state of all feature flags. Also print the resulting compiler flags with their origin. This is intended to be run from debian/rules, so that the build log keeps a clear trace of the build flags used. This can be useful to diagnose problems related to them. --export=format Print to standard output shell (if format is sh) or make (if format is make) commands that can be used to export all the compilation flags in the environment. If format is configure then the output can be used on a ./configure command-line. If the format value is not given, sh is assumed. Only compilation flags starting with an upper case character are included, others are assumed to not be suitable for the environment. --get flag Print the value of the flag on standard output. Exits with 0 if the flag is known otherwise exits with 1. --origin flag Print the origin of the value that is returned by --get. Exits with 0 if the flag is known otherwise exits with 1. The origin can be one of the following values: vendor the original flag set by the vendor is returned; system the flag is set/modified by a system-wide configuration; user the flag is set/modified by a user-specific configuration; env the flag is set/modified by an environment-specific configuration. --query-features area Print the features enabled for a given area. The only currently recognized area is hardening. Exits with 0 if the area is known oth- erwise exits with 1. The output format is RFC822 header-style, with one section per feature. For example: Feature: pie Enabled: no Feature: stackprotector Enabled: yes --help Show the usage message and exit. --version Show the version and exit. SUPPORTED FLAGS
CFLAGS Options for the C compiler. The default value set by the vendor includes -g and the default optimization level (-O2 usually, or -O0 if the DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS environment variable defines noopt). CPPFLAGS Options for the C preprocessor. Default value: empty. CXXFLAGS Options for the C++ compiler. Same as CFLAGS. FFLAGS Options for the Fortran compiler. Same as CFLAGS. LDFLAGS Options passed to the compiler when linking executables or shared objects (if the linker is called directly, then -Wl and , have to be stripped from these options). Default value: empty. FILES
/etc/dpkg/buildflags.conf System wide configuration file. $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/dpkg/buildflags.conf or $HOME/.config/dpkg/buildflags.conf User configuration file. ENVIRONMENT
There are 2 sets of environment variables doing the same operations, the first one (DEB_flag_op) should never be used within debian/rules. It's meant for any user that wants to rebuild the source package with different build flags. The second set (DEB_flag_MAINT_op) should only be used in debian/rules by package maintainers to change the resulting build flags. DEB_flag_SET DEB_flag_MAINT_SET This variable can be used to force the value returned for the given flag. DEB_flag_STRIP DEB_flag_MAINT_STRIP This variable can be used to provide a space separated list of options that will be stripped from the set of flags returned for the given flag. DEB_flag_APPEND DEB_flag_MAINT_APPEND This variable can be used to append supplementary options to the value returned for the given flag. DEB_flag_PREPEND DEB_flag_MAINT_PREPEND This variable can be used to prepend supplementary options to the value returned for the given flag. DEB_BUILD_MAINT_OPTIONS This variable can be used to disable/enable various hardening build flags through the hardening option. See the HARDENING section for details. HARDENING
Several compile-time options (detailed below) can be used to help harden a resulting binary against memory corruption attacks, or provide additional warning messages during compilation. Except as noted below, these are enabled by default for architectures that support them. Each hardening feature can be enabled and disabled in the DEB_BUILD_MAINT_OPTIONS environment variable's hardening value with the "+" and "-" modifier. For example, to enable the "pie" feature and disable the "fortify" feature you can do this in debian/rules: export DEB_BUILD_MAINT_OPTIONS=hardening=+pie,-fortify The special feature all can be used to enable or disable all hardening features at the same time. Thus disabling everything and enabling only "format" and "fortify" can be achieved with: export DEB_BUILD_MAINT_OPTIONS=hardening=-all,+format,+fortify format This setting (enabled by default) adds -Wformat -Werror=format-security to CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS. This will warn about improper format string uses, and will fail when format functions are used in a way that represent possible security problems. At present, this warns about calls to printf and scanf functions where the format string is not a string literal and there are no format arguments, as in printf(foo); instead of printf("%s", foo); This may be a security hole if the format string came from untrusted input and contains "%n". fortify This setting (enabled by default) adds -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 to CPPFLAGS. During code generation the compiler knows a great deal of information about buffer sizes (where possible), and attempts to replace insecure unlimited length buffer function calls with length-limited ones. This is especially useful for old, crufty code. Additionally, format strings in writable memory that contain '%n' are blocked. If an application depends on such a format string, it will need to be worked around. Note that for this option to have any effect, the source must also be compiled with -O1 or higher. stackprotector This setting (enabled by default) adds -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 to CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS. This adds safety checks against stack overwrites. This renders many potential code injection attacks into aborting situations. In the best case this turns code injection vulnerabilities into denial of service or into non-issues (depending on the application). This feature requires linking against glibc (or another provider of __stack_chk_fail), so needs to be disabled when building with -nostdlib or -ffreestanding or similar. relro This setting (enabled by default) adds -Wl,-z,relro to LDFLAGS. During program load, several ELF memory sections need to be written to by the linker. This flags the loader to turn these sections read-only before turning over control to the program. Most notably this prevents GOT overwrite attacks. If this option is disabled, bindnow will become disabled as well. bindnow This setting (disabled by default) adds -Wl,-z,now to LDFLAGS. During program load, all dynamic symbols are resolved, allowing for the entire PLT to be marked read-only (due to relro above). The option cannot become enabled if relro is not enabled. pie This setting (disabled by default) adds -fPIE to CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS, and -fPIE -pie to LDFLAGS. Position Independent Executable are needed to take advantage of Address Space Layout Randomization, supported by some kernel versions. While ASLR can already be enforced for data areas in the stack and heap (brk and mmap), the code areas must be compiled as position-independent. Shared libraries already do this (-fPIC), so they gain ASLR automatically, but binary .text regions need to be build PIE to gain ASLR. When this happens, ROP (Return Oriented Programming) attacks are much harder since there are no static locations to bounce off of during a memory corruption attack. This is not compatible with -fPIC so care must be taken when building shared objects. Additionally, since PIE is implemented via a general register, some architectures (most notably i386) can see performance losses of up to 15% in very text-segment-heavy application workloads; most workloads see less than 1%. Architectures with more general regis- ters (e.g. amd64) do not see as high a worst-case penalty. Debian Project 2012-04-03 dpkg-buildflags(1)