Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mount a remote file system
Operating Systems Solaris Mount a remote file system Post 302200767 by fabtagon on Friday 30th of May 2008 03:16:23 AM
Old 05-30-2008
Maybe that's a (intended) limitation of NFS in Solaris 10*. Maybe you have to set some option in order to export a filesystem across filesystem borders. For performance reasons you should mount /sp from machine A directly on C (way over B doubles network load and esp. locking latency).

Despite some special situations mounting /tmp via NFS is not that good as
(i) it's not possible to have sockets on NFS (some apps depend on such things in /tmp)
(ii) some apps do write quite heavily to /tmp (and get slow that way)
(iii) if some system deamon uses a temp file and your network breaks or gets slow your system gets into trouble

* to find out whether solaris or hp-ux doesn't do it: can you mount B:/tm on A (in some other directory)?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to access/mount so to access folder/files on a Remote System using Linux OS

Hi I need to access files from a specific folder of a Linux system from an another Linux System Remotely. I know how to, Export a folder on One SCO System & can access the same by using Import via., NFS in the Sco Unix SVR4 System using the scoadmin utility. Also, I know to use mount -t ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.Vishwanath
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to mount a file system of a remote machine to local file system

Hi friends, In my case, there are serveral PCs running Linux in a LAN. I would like to to mount the directory /A_river of machine-A to the file system of another machine machine-B so that I can access files in that directory. I do not know how to do this. The situation is complicated by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cy163
2 Replies

3. Solaris

File system and disc mount

Hello All Well i m using sun fire and I want to view file system on each disc mount then what will be the commands?...like i want to get each disc like c0t0d0s0 and others and i want to see directories and files distributed on each discs.... with heartiest greetings nilanjan (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ailnilanjan
7 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

The usage of mount file system of different servers

There is a file system in server1 which is mounted on different file system on server2. Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on server1:/users/user1 7047581 5994192 982914 86% /u01 /data/datafiles/user1 The data in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vamshikrishnab
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

how to mount a file system from a solaris server into an hp-ux system

Hi all I wonder if its possible to mount on a hp-ux server a file system that was previously mounted on a solaris 10 server. The LUN is on NetApp stoarge. The problem on hp-ux I cannot do pvcreate on the lun (disk) because contains data. Any help will be appreciated FR (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Specifying file system mount order

Does anyone know if it's possible to specify the mount order of local and remote file systems? I'd like to mount a local ZFS file system on top of an NFS mount automatically and have that repeated on every reboot. I've checked man pages and Google, but can't find anything that addresses,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Monty51
6 Replies

7. HP-UX

[Solved] Mount HP-UX File System in Windows 7

Hello, We just got a rx4640 that is running on: HP-UX B.11.31 U ia64 2426088954 unlimited-user license There is a plenty of space in it and we would like to use it for storage. I can access with ftp and place the files in there but i need to mount the file system in every PC that is running... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjk
7 Replies

8. AIX

Cannot mount file system

Hi , We i try to mount aix filesystem i am getting the following error mount: 0506-324 Cannot mount /dev/fslv11 on /testdir: A system call received a parameter that is not valid. Please help me out (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Unable to mount a clone file system (NetApp)

Hi I have the following difficulty: the NetApp admin has clone one file system from one red hatserver and presented this cloned LUN into another redhat server. I can see the LUN as: fdisk -l Disk /dev/sda: 64.4 GB, 64424509440 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7832 cylinders Units =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fretagi
1 Replies
share(1M)                                                                                                                                share(1M)

NAME
share - make local resource available for mounting by remote systems SYNOPSIS
share [-F FSType] [-o specific_options] [-d description] [pathname] The share command exports, or makes a resource available for mounting, through a remote file system of type FSType. If the option -F FSType is omitted, the first file system type listed in /etc/dfs/fstypes is used as default. For a description of NFS specific options, see share_nfs(1M). pathname is the pathname of the directory to be shared. When invoked with no arguments, share displays all shared file sys- tems. -F FSType Specify the filesystem type. -o specific_options The specific_options are used to control access of the shared resource. (See share_nfs(1M) for the NFS specific options.) They may be any of the following: rw pathname is shared read/write to all clients. This is also the default behavior. rw=client[:client]... pathname is shared read/write only to the listed clients. No other systems can access pathname. ro pathname is shared read-only to all clients. ro=client[:client]... pathname is shared read-only only to the listed clients. No other systems can access pathname. Separate multiple options with commas. Separate multiple operands for an option with colons. See . -d description The -d flag may be used to provide a description of the resource being shared. Example 1: Sharing a Read-Only Filesystem This line will share the /disk file system read-only at boot time. share -F nfs -o ro /disk Example 2: Invoking Multiple Options The following command shares the filesystem /export/manuals, with members of the netgroup having read-only access and users on the speci- fied host having read-write access. share -F nfs -o ro=netgroup_name,rw=host1:host2:host3 /export/manuals /etc/dfs/dfstab list of share commands to be executed at boot time /etc/dfs/fstypes list of file system types, NFS by default /etc/dfs/sharetab system record of shared file systems See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ mountd(1M), nfsd(1M), share_nfs(1M), shareall(1M), unshare(1M), attributes(5) Export (old terminology): file system sharing used to be called exporting on SunOS 4.x, so the share command used to be invoked as exportfs(1B) or /usr/sbin/exportfs. If share commands are invoked multiple times on the same filesystem, the last share invocation supersedes the previous--the options set by the last share command replace the old options. For example, if read-write permission was given to usera on /somefs, then to give read- write permission also to userb on /somefs: example% share -F nfs -o rw=usera:userb /somefs This behavior is not limited to sharing the root filesystem, but applies to all filesystems. 9 Dec 2004 share(1M)