Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: members in a group
Operating Systems Linux members in a group Post 302198565 by arthi on Friday 23rd of May 2008 07:47:16 AM
Old 05-23-2008
Thank you all...

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

listing members of a unix group

I know there is a "groups" command to list the groups a user belongs to, but how about the opposite? Is there a standard command to find out which users belong to a particular group? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ovaska
2 Replies

2. Solaris

make issue when I add some members into a NIS group on solaris 9,please help !!

Hello Sir, I want to add some members into a group on NIS domain, but when I run "/usr/ccs/bin/make group" to update the group map it was failed :-( the error message is : problem storing develop... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lk74612
4 Replies

3. Programming

allowing members of a group to kill a process

I've written a python program where I want to allow members of a specific group the ability to kill it, and I'm not sure how to do it. I've been looking at the setuid() and setgid() and similar functions in the os module, but haven't been able to get them to work. I can't seem to change the uid or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vastcharade
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get a list of group members?

Is there a command to get a list of group members? Something similar to the groups command, but instead of passing a username and returning groups, you pass it a groupname, and it returns members? It is difficult to do it manually because the group membership information is split across two... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: akbar
5 Replies

5. AIX

How to allow group members to kill process?

Hey I'm writing a script that creates some processes,and some scripts which kill those processes. the question is Simply: How can I allow group members to be able to kill processes created by other member at the same group? I need your help as soon as possible Thanks for your help in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Dark Knight
4 Replies

6. Solaris

How to list group members in solaris 9

Hi, I already gone through with old post regarding listing the group members and tried the command getenv group other the result is other::1:root i listed my part of the /etc/passwd file below test1:x:100:1::/home/test1:/bin/sh test2:x:101:1::/home/test2:/bin/ksh... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vr_mari
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a one liner to grep a group info from /etc/group and use that result to search passwd file

/etc/group tiadm::345:mk789,po312,jo343,ju454,ko453,yx879,iy345,hn453 bin::2:root,daemon sys::3:root,bin,adm adm::4:root,daemon uucp::5:root /etc/passwd mk789:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh po312:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh ju454:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Setfacl and granting permissions to a group and its members on a directory

Hi! I created a group HACKERS and made the user "demo" its member. $ id demo uid=500(demo) gid=500(demo) groups=500(demo),502(HACKERS) $ Next, I granted read and execute permissions to the group "HACKERS" on /var/log/httpd as shown below: setfacl -m "g:HACKERS:r-x"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
2 Replies
GSHADOW(5)						   File Formats and Conversions 						GSHADOW(5)

NAME
gshadow - shadowed group file DESCRIPTION
/etc/gshadow contains the shadowed information for group accounts. This file must not be readable by regular users if password security is to be maintained. Each line of this file contains the following colon-separated fields: group name It must be a valid group name, which exist on the system. encrypted password Refer to crypt(3) for details on how this string is interpreted. If the password field contains some string that is not a valid result of crypt(3), for instance ! or *, users will not be able to use a unix password to access the group (but group members do not need the password). The password is used when a user who is not a member of the group wants to gain the permissions of this group (see newgrp(1)). This field may be empty, in which case only the group members can gain the group permissions. A password field which starts with an exclamation mark means that the password is locked. The remaining characters on the line represent the password field before the password was locked. This password supersedes any password specified in /etc/group. administrators It must be a comma-separated list of user names. Administrators can change the password or the members of the group. Administrators also have the same permissions as the members (see below). members It must be a comma-separated list of user names. Members can access the group without being prompted for a password. You should use the same list of users as in /etc/group. FILES
/etc/group Group account information. /etc/gshadow Secure group account information. SEE ALSO
gpasswd(5), group(5), grpck(8), grpconv(8), newgrp(1). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 GSHADOW(5)