Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Displaying the available locales in english Post 302195990 by eamani_sun on Friday 16th of May 2008 10:57:48 AM
Old 05-16-2008
Displaying the available locales in english

Hi,

I am developing a program that would ask the user to set the locale.

For that, I need to display them to user in plain english.

English(US)
English (Uk)

depending on the user selection I need to set the locale.

Is there a command in redhat linux that would display locales in more friendly mamner rather than like this "en-US.UTF-8"

Thanks,
sunny.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Locales - Solaris 8

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 2 Locales: North American Partial Locales en_US.ISO8859-1 en_US.ISO8859-15 Does it matter which one to use? What are the differences? Thanks. -I have found the below info but I don't know what it means(Also no RFC# for 8859-15): ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: finster
2 Replies

2. AIX

Locales in AIX

Currently we have the following locales installed on two of our servers SERVER-1 $ locale -a C POSIX en_US en_US.8859-15 en_US.ISO8859-1 EN_US EN_US.UTF-8 ZH_CN ZH_CN.UTF-8 HI_IN HI_IN.UTF-8 ko_KR ko_KR.IBM-eucKR zh_TW zh_TW.IBM-eucTW SERVER-2 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: voorkey
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

formatting date for different locales

Hi, I need to know 1.the usage of LC_TIME with setlocale(). 2.the usage of getdate() utility I read that date formatting for different languages needs 1.user-supplied template file and 2.DATEMSK environment variable set to path of the template fie. Can anyone pls tell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aeon
2 Replies

4. Ubuntu

LANG=C not English?

On Ubuntu 7.04, why would the "C" LANG parameter not be English: $ LANG=C locale LANG=C LANGUAGE=he_IL:he:en_GB:en LC_CTYPE="he_IL.utf8" LC_NUMERIC="he_IL.utf8" LC_TIME="he_IL.utf8" LC_COLLATE="he_IL.utf8" LC_MONETARY="he_IL.utf8" LC_MESSAGES="he_IL.utf8" LC_PAPER="he_IL.utf8"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotancohen
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

HPUX 10.20 - Warning! One or more of your selected locales are not available.

On our system a user successfully ran the only application on the system this morning. When they tried to login a bit later they could not. The Admin tried to reboot the server and it seemed to reboot ok. When logged in the admin tried to change directories and gets the below message (note they... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmdzied
1 Replies

6. Web Development

Detecting browser locales/languages and generating output

We have a Java app that renders Localized text on user's browser session based upon browser language settings. The app reads the browser language settings and prepares the localized text. But recently we faced issues for Mozilla 5.0 version browser. Note our code works fine in IE. Taking an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uunniixx
1 Replies

7. AIX

Locales and conversion tables confusion - Some characters don't get translated

Hello, my program running on AIX receives a message (from MQ) which is in CCSID 870 (LATIN-2 EBCDIC). It needs to convert it to CCSID 912 (ISO-8859-2). For this conversion, it uses the Websphere MQ functionality, but which, according to the manual, uses AIX's system conversion tables. (Btw - it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Adamm
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting locales

I'm having a problem with my locale setting. Essentially, when using Xmgrace or Awk, all . are replaced with , leading to wrong arithmetic. Here is an explanation of the problem: awk printing thousands with commas. see LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 How can I permanently set the locale... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
1 Replies

9. Debian

Locales UTF8 - not working

Hello, I'm facing a strange problem in one of my Debian server, what is happening right now it that I have runned dpkg-reconfigure locales to set en_US UTF-8 so in that way I could use accentuation in my system. # locale -a C en_US.utf8 POSIX pt_BR.utf8 However, when I create a new... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxb368@motorola
12 Replies
LOCALE.CONF(5)							    locale.conf 						    LOCALE.CONF(5)

NAME
locale.conf - configuration file for locale settings SYNOPSIS
/etc/locale.conf DESCRIPTION
The /etc/locale.conf file configures system-wide locale settings. The basic file format of locale.conf is a newline-separated list of environment-like shell-compatible variable assignments. It is possible to source the configuration from shell scripts, however, beyond mere variable assignments no shell features are supported, allowing applications to read the file without implementing a shell compatible execution engine. Note that the kernel command line options locale.LANG=, locale.LANGUAGE=, locale.LC_CTYPE=, locale.LC_NUMERIC=, locale.LC_TIME=, locale.LC_COLLATE=, locale.LC_MONETARY=, locale.LC_MESSAGES=, locale.LC_PAPER=, locale.LC_NAME=, locale.LC_ADDRESS=, locale.LC_TELEPHONE=, locale.LC_MEASUREMENT=, locale.LC_IDENTIFICATION= may be used to override the locale settings at boot. The locale settings configured in /etc/locale.conf are system-wide and are inherited by every service or user, unless overridden or unset by individual programs or individual users. Depending on the operating system other configuration files might be checked for locale configuration as well, however only as fallback. OPTIONS
The following locale settings may be set using /etc/locale.conf: LANG=, LANGUAGE=, LC_CTYPE=, LC_NUMERIC=, LC_TIME=, LC_COLLATE=, LC_MONETARY=, LC_MESSAGES=, LC_PAPER=, LC_NAME=, LC_ADDRESS=, LC_TELEPHONE=, LC_MEASUREMENT=, LC_IDENTIFICATION=. Note that LC_ALL may not be be configured in this file. For details about the meaning and semantics of these settings, refer to locale(7). EXAMPLE
Example 1. German locale with English messages /etc/locale.conf: LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_MESSAGES=C SEE ALSO
systemd(1), locale(7) AUTHOR
Lennart Poettering <lennart@poettering.net> Developer systemd 10/07/2013 LOCALE.CONF(5)