Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Recursive grep
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Recursive grep Post 302195953 by upstate_boy on Friday 16th of May 2008 09:03:53 AM
Old 05-16-2008
I've changed it to:

find /directory/I/want to/search/ -type f | \
while read file
do
grep -f strings.txt $results.txt
done

Results now are:

grep: .txt: No such file or directory

Can someone spell out exactly how I should have it based on the example I've been using?

Thanks upstate boy

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep recursive directories

I am trying to locate a file or files with specific data in them. Problem is the file(s) could reside in any one of many directories. My question is. Is there a way of recursively greping directories for the file(s) with the data I am looking for. I have tried - 1. $HOME> grep 47518 | ls... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recursive GREP ?

Hi! Suppose I have a directory (no symbolic links) called /WORK that contains 3 subdirectories: /A /B /C My problem is this: I want to look for a file that contains an order number. So far, I obtain what I want by doing this /home/acb% cd /WORK/A /home/acb/WORK/A% grep '093023553' *.*... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

recursive grep output

I'm using this command to get a recursive grep find . -name *.i -exec grep 'blah blah' {} \; -exec ls {} \; now I would like to obtain just the list of the files and not also the line of the file. How should I change the syntax? thank you, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preventing an endless loop with recursive grep

When finding a string in files within a directory, one can use this: grep -r "searchstring" dir/subdir/ > listofoccurrences.txt For brevity sake one can enter the intended directory and use this: grep -r "searchstring" . > listofoccurrences.txt which as I found out leads to an endless loop,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

recursive grep

Hi, on AIX 6.1 , in man document for grep : -r Searches directories recursively. By default, links to directories are followed. But when I use : oracle@XXX:/appli/XXX_SCRIPTS#grep -r subject *.sh It returns nothing. However I have at least one row in a file : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tricky recursive removal (find with grep)

Tricky one: I want to do several things all at once to blow away a directory (rm -rf <dir>) 1) I want to find all files recursively that have a specific file extension (.ver) for example. 2) Then in that file, I want to grep for an expression ( "sp2" ) for example. 3) Then I want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jvsrvcs
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive Grep with replace

I have seen some useful infomation about recursive grep in one of the thread. Can it is possible to combine resursive grep and replace togather? Means I need to replace old server names in all the files with new server names as we are upgrading our applications. There are lots of files in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yale_work
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive find / grep within a file / count of a string

Hi All, This is the first time I have posted to this forum so please bear with me. Thanks also advance for any help or guidance. For a project I need to do the following. 1. There are multiple files in multiple locations so I need to find them and the location. So I had planned to use... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Charlie6742
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recursive grep with only certain types of files

Can I please have some ideas on how to do a recursive grep with certain types of files? The file types I want to use are *.c and *.java. I know this normally works with all files. grep -riI 'scanner' /home/bob/ 2>/dev/null Just not sure how to get it to work *.c and *.java files. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
5 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)