Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users connection to localhost:10.0 host broken (explicit kill or server shutdown) Post 302195906 by sysgate on Friday 16th of May 2008 07:31:52 AM
Old 05-16-2008
Hm, old thread resurrected. I still can't answer the question with exact precision, what I'd do in such situation (when "the roof is on fire"): examine all logs, or as much as I can, make sure that there isn't an application that may be causing this, ensure that I'm the only one, or if any other trusted person, to access the server with root or other privileges, examine the possibilities of upgrading this server to the latest software (that helps sometimes), or last resort - clean install of the whole server - start with the OS and then the used software. Contact respective vendors, if applicable. Do a hardware troubleshooting (memory, disks, controllers). Be extremely cautious when doing something like this on a production server.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rc scripts, do i need to kill them on shutdown?

We have a bunch of tools, that run on linux and on unix, I've got start up scripts that bring up their license managers when the unix box boots, do I need kill scripts for when the box is shutting down? I've not seen much documentation on this, just on getting the license managers started, but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kymberm
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recover X Forwarding after broken connection

Hello, today I logged in on a remote machine via "ssh -X ..." and started a screen session. In this i started OpenOffice.org writer by writing "oowriter". After some time the connection got lost (The network here is quite unstable). Now I logged in again via "ssh -X ...". The screen session is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: schola
1 Replies

3. Solaris

PING - Unknown host 127.0.0.1, Unknown host localhost - Solaris 10

Hello, I have a problem - I created a chrooted jail for one user. When I'm logged in as root, everything work fine, but when I'm logged in as a chrooted user - I have many problems: 1. When I execute the command ping, I get weird results: bash-3.00$ usr/sbin/ping localhost ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Przemek
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host Connection closed

Hi Everyone, Good day. Scenario: 2 unix servers -- A (SunOS) and B (AIX) I have an ftp script to sftp 30 files from A to B which happen almost instantaneously i.e 30 sftp's happen at the same time. Some of these sftp's fail with the following error: ssh_exchange_identification: Connection... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeevan_fimare
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

localhost [127.0.0.1] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

hardware = raq550 running on strongbolt2. my sendmail log is littered with this entry all through the day: localhost did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA it occurrs every 15 minutes. I don't have any problem sending or receiving mail. I did a search on google but couldn't... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonj
0 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

IPF pass in connection to port 21 even with no explicit rule

I'm running IPF on solaris 10 bash-3.00# ipf -V #display ipf version ipf: IP Filter: v4.1.9 (592) Kernel: IP Filter: v4.1.9 Running: yes Log Flags: 0 = none set Default: pass all, Logging: available Active list: 1 Feature mask: 0x107 with the following rules bash-3.00# ipfstat -o -i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
0 Replies

7. Infrastructure Monitoring

clstat X connection ... broken ?

Hi. Could you help me with this problem ? When I run clstat then I got this error message: 1:root@test1:/root # clstat X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown). I got the same error for both nodes. If I would run xclstat I would understand that there... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: phobus
5 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Listening on localhost - cannot connect to host using port 3010

Hi Guys, my issue is - I have people connecting to my hosts from the outside world (for POC testing). There application listens on a port 3010 which is bound to the localhost. Using netstat -an | grep LISTEN it is the only port that is bound - ie: ftp, ssh etc listen on all interfaces. I need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brian112
1 Replies

9. AIX

X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

I want to run applet on AIX 6 machine. I already have setup $DISPLAY variable for putty session by selecting X11 option. I got below error for any X related commands (xclock, X, applet viewer ) X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown). Please can anyone... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kailas.girase
0 Replies

10. SuSE

Connection is broken because of underlying network issues

Hi Guys, I have two databases where I copy archivelog files from server A to server B frequently...yesterday we did the VM upgrade now...I am struggling to copy/ship the files from server A to server B... I manually tested the file transfer but the big files, e.g 46M, stall. I can copy small... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phuti
2 Replies
DHCPING(8)						      General Commands Manual							DHCPING(8)

NAME
dhcping - send a DHCP request to DHCP server to see if it's up and running SYNOPSIS
dhcping [-v] [-q] [-i] [-r] -t maxwait -c client-IP-address -s server-IP-address -h client-hardware-address [-g gateway-IP-address] DESCRIPTION
This command allows the system administrator to check if a remote DHCP server is still functioning. Options are: -v Verbose, print some information. -i Use DHCPINFORM packets. -r Use DHCPREQUEST packets (default behaviour). -q Quiet, print nothing on the screen. -t maxwait Maximum time to wait for an answer from the server in seconds. Default is 3 seconds. -c client-IP-address Request this IP address. Note that this is also the IP address the answer will be sent to. -s server-IP-address Send the DHCP packet to this IP address. -h client-hardware-address Use this hardware-address in the DHCP request. It can be up to sixteen octets seperated by colons (i.e. 01:02:03:04) -g gateway-IP-address Use this IP address for the gateway IP address in the DHCP packet. This option is currently broken. RETURN VALUES
If everything goes okay, it returns 0. If there went something wrong, it returns 1. SETUP
This program should be installed setuid root or ran by root only. See SECURITY for more information. On your DHCP server, add these lines to the dhcpd.conf: host <your monitoring host FQDN> { hardware ethernet <your monitor host mac address>; fixed-address <your monitoring host IP address>; } Then try it: $ dhcping -c your monitoring host IP address -s your DHCP server IP address -h your monitor host mac address It will either respond with "no answer" or "Got answer from: your DHCP server IP address" The DHCP server logfile will give: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.1 from 00:20:18:56:29:8f via ed0 DHCPACK on 192.168.1.1 to 00:20:18:56:29:8f via ed0 DHCPRELEASE of 192.168.1.1 from 00:20:18:56:29:8f via ed0 (found) Running in DHCPINFORM mode with -i: If you see "DHCPINFORM from 192.168.1.1 via xl0: not authoritative for subnet 192.168.1.0", you should add the authoritative statement to the subnet, See dhcpd.conf(5) for details. When running in very verbose mode, dhcping tries to dump all data of the send and received DHCP packets. It will first dump the packet in hex-format, then decodes the header and finally the options. HOW IT WORKS
The client either sends a DHCPREQUEST or DHCPINFORM packet to the server and waits for an answer. Then, if a DHCPREQUEST was send, it will send a DHCPRELEASE back to the server. SECURITY
This program is installed setuid root as it requires the privileges to bind itself to port 68 (bootpc). Root privileges are dropped as soon as the program has bound itself to that port. BUGS
Currently (this may, or may not, change in the future) the ISC DHCP daemon does not write leases with a fixed IP address in the dhcpd.leases file. DHCPINFORM packets can only be used on subnets the server is authori- tative for. If the monitoring script runs on a subnet the server isn't authoritative for, it should use the DHCPREQUEST packets. I also experienced some problems with ISC DHCPD v2 servers, but that is also in the README of it. The -V option is still working, but shouldn't be used for debugging of the packets. Better use dhcpdump(8) for that, which is available on my website. I wanted to remove it, but decided only to do it from the documentation, not from the code. Maybe I'll need it one day for debugging. AUTHOR
Edwin Groothuis, edwin@mavetju.org (http://www.mavetju.org) SEE ALSO
dhcpd(8), dhclient(8), dhcpd.conf(5), dhcpdump(8) Januari 27, 2002 Januari 27, 2002 DHCPING(8)