Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Change a file's timestamp
Operating Systems AIX Change a file's timestamp Post 302194431 by shibajighosh on Tuesday 13th of May 2008 12:16:21 AM
Old 05-13-2008
Change a file's timestamp

Hi,

I want to modify a file and then change the file's timestamp back to what it was before the modification. It should look as if the file has'nt been modifed. The entire operation needs to be done inside a ksh script. Can anyone suggest how I can trap a file's stamp in a variable within a shell.

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Timestamp of File permission change

Hi!! Experts, Is there any way to find the timestamp when the permission of a file was modified?? I mean no change to file contents.. Just the chnage of permissions. :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

change timestamp of file

Hi, How I change the timestamp of file to some past date Let's say I have this file -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle dba 16587 Apr 11 10:46 create_dev.sql And I want to change the timestamp to Mar 10th 7:45 PM So it should appear like this: -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle dba ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: isingh786
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

move file change timestamp

Hello, Alright solution: I need to move files to a backup folder, changing the datestamp to the current day so that the file stays in the backup folder for the full 30 days before another script removes it. Obviously, any file I move in will preserve the timestamp which is what I *don't* want.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tekster757
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change File Header Timestamp

Please I am new to Unix and this simple question I am already answered but struggling to find the answer. I have a data file which contains header record which conatins date timestamp. I need to find a way of simply updating the date time stamp to current date timestamp. So if the header... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mudi
5 Replies

5. AIX

Change specific (not current) date to timestamp

Hello to all. I work at AIX system without perl installed and I am restricted user, so I am limited to bash. In script that I am writing, I have to read line from file and transform date that I found inside to Unix timestamp. Line in file look something like this: Tue Mar 29 06:59:00... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hyperborejac
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting a relative timestamp from timestamp stored in a file

Hi, I've a file in the following format 1999-APR-8 17:31:06 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:15 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:25 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:30 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:31:55 1500 3 45 1999-APR-8 17:32:06 1500 3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaibhavkorde
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Can not change timestamp on directory inside cifs mount

Greetings, I have an rsync server that is unable to change the timestamp on any directories inside of cifs mounts. The same thing happens on all of my red hat machines. These machines are all patched, touch -t works on directories inside any other filesystem including NFS mounts. This is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Create
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare a file by its timestamp and store in a different location whenever timestamp changes?

Hi All, I am new to unix programming. I am trying for a requirement and the requirement goes like this..... I have a test folder. Which tracks log files. After certain time, the log file is getting overwritten by another file (randomly as the time interval is not periodic). I need to preserve... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailsara
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timestamp change for hard and soft links

Hi team, i am writing a purge script to delete softlinks and hardlinks on linux system which are 3/10/30 days old. To test the script i need to create links with old timestamp, i am able to cange timestamp for files but not for links. i tried touch -h option but this option is not available on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satyak
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check timestamp in logfile and display lines upto 3 hours before current timestamp

Hi Friends, I have the following logfile. Currently time in india is 07/31/2014 12:33:34 and i have the following content in logfile. I want to display only those entries which contain string 'Exception' within last 3 hours. In this case, it would be the last line only I can get the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: srkmish
12 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)