Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting stripping certain characters in at the middle of a string Post 302194109 by era on Monday 12th of May 2008 08:39:48 AM
Old 05-12-2008
Really not at all clear what you are getting at, but try this.

Code:
vnix$ IFS='|@'
vnix$ read stuff into variables
see@hear|touch@smell
vnix$ echo $stuff
see
vnix$ echo $into
hear
vnix$ echo $variables
touch smell

The | is not a very suitable separator, otherwise you could also use set -- to split this into multiple tokens.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how to insert and delete characters in the middle of file

I have a problem that I want to insert and delete some chars in the middle of a file. fopen() and fdopen() just allow to append at the end. Is there any simple method or existing library that allow these actions? Thanks in advance.:confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivancheung
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stripping a portion of string from behind!!!

Hi, How to strip a portion of a file name from behind...Say for Eg..i have a file name like aaaaa.bbbbb.Mar-17-2007 i want to remove .Mar-17-2007...is there a one line command which can give this output... Thanks Kumar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarsaravana_s
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping leftmost characters from string

Hi there, if i have some strings ie test_324423 test_242332 test_767667 but I only want the number part (the bolded bit) how do I strip the leftmost 5 characters from the output so that i will have just 324423 242332 767667 any help would be greatly appreciated Gary (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping the spaces in a string variable

Hi , i have to strip the spaces in the string which has the following value ABC DEF i want this to appear like this ABC DEF is there any spilt method? please help.... Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rag84dec
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - stripping away characters that can't be used in filenames

I want to create a temp file which is named based on a search string. The search string may contain spaces or characters that aren't supposed to be used in filenames so I want to strip those out. My thought was to use 'tr' with but the result is the opposite of what I want: $ echo "test... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mglenney
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed replacing in vi, / characters in the middle

I tried to replace the following in vi: old: 'e/thesis/pp/zones/zones' new: 'd/so162/fix/pp' For that, I used: :%s/e/thesis/pp/zones/zones/d/so162/fix/pp/g but doesn't work, a trailing character error message appeared. How can I get it? Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gery
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping characters from a variable

I'm using a shell script to get user input with this command: read UserInput I would then like to take the "UserInput" variable and strip out all of the following characters, regardless of where they appear in the variable or how many occurrences there are: \/":|<>+=;,?*@ I'm not sure... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrogers64
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping out digits from a string with sed

i want to parse a string and only display the digits in that string... How would i accomplish this with sed command. For example. input string: " 033434343 dafasdf" output string: 03343434 Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmylita
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping characters from a file and reformatting according to another one

Dear experts, my problem is pretty tricky. I want to change a file (see attached input.txt), according to another file (help.txt). The output that is desired is in output.txt. The example is attached. Note that -dashes should not be treated specially, they are considered normal characters,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTransporter
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping unwanted characters in field

I wrote myself a small little shell script to clean up a file I have issues with. In particular, I am stripping down a fully qualified host/domain name to just the hostname itself. The script works, but from a performance standpoint, it's not very fast and I will be working with large data sets. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dagamier
4 Replies
MSSQL_FIELD_SEEK(3)													       MSSQL_FIELD_SEEK(3)

mssql_field_seek - Seeks to the specified field offset

SYNOPSIS
bool mssql_field_seek (resource $result, int $field_offset) DESCRIPTION
Seeks to the specified field offset. If the next call to mssql_fetch_field(3) won't include a field offset, this field would be returned. PARAMETERS
o $result - The result resource that is being evaluated. This result comes from a call to mssql_query(3). o $field_offset - The field offset, starts at 0. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Using mssql_field_seek(3) on the example for mssql_fetch_field(3) <?php // Connect to MSSQL and select the database mssql_connect('MANGOSQLEXPRESS', 'sa', 'phpfi'); mssql_select_db('php'); // Send a select query to MSSQL $query = mssql_query('SELECT * FROM [php].[dbo].[persons]'); // Construct table echo '<h3>Table structure for 'persons'</h3>'; echo '<table border="1">'; // Table header echo '<thead>'; echo '<tr>'; echo '<td>Field name</td>'; echo '<td>Data type</td>'; echo '<td>Max length</td>'; echo '</tr>'; echo '</thead>'; // Dump all fields echo '<tbody>'; for ($i = 0; $i < mssql_num_fields($query); ++$i) { // Fetch the field information, notice the // field_offset parameter is not set. See // the mssql_field_seek call below $field = mssql_fetch_field($query); // Print the row echo '<tr>'; echo '<td>' . $field->name . '</td>'; echo '<td>' . strtoupper($field->type) . '</td>'; echo '<td>' . $field->max_length . '</td>'; echo '</tr>'; // Move the internal seek pointer to the next // row in the result set mssql_field_seek($query, $i + 1); } echo '</tbody>'; echo '</table>'; // Free the query result mssql_free_result($query); ?> SEE ALSO
mssql_fetch_field(3). PHP Documentation Group MSSQL_FIELD_SEEK(3)