Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: explanation of getops
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting explanation of getops Post 302192316 by cesarNZ on Tuesday 6th of May 2008 05:28:58 PM
Old 05-06-2008
thanks, that clears up a few things.

ta.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

tr explanation please

how does below tr command replace nonletters with newlines? I think I understand tr -cs '\n' part.. but what is A-Za-z\' <--- what is this?? tr -cs A-Za-z\' '\n' | -c --complement -s, --squeeze-repeats replace each input sequence of a repeated character that is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tr explanation please

how does below tr command replace nonletters with newlines? I think I understand tr -cs '\n' part.. but what is A-Za-z\' <--- what is this?? tr -cs A-Za-z\' '\n' | -c --complement -s, --squeeze-repeats replace each input sequence of a repeated character that is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

need explanation

Hi am having a c pgm. It has the include files (unistd.h,sys/types.h,win.h,scr.h,curses.h,stdarg.h and color.h). I don't know the purpose of these include files. will u plz explain me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mari.kb
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

In need of explanation

Its great someone provided this script that strips out a filename and extension but can someone explain how each line works? file1='Jane Mid Doe.txt' newfile='Jane.txt' 1) ext=${file1##*.} 2) filename=${file%%.???} 3) set -- $filename 4) newfile="1.$extension" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lillyt
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

code explanation

Can you please explain the following code plz? my_cd=' ' while getopts :e: OPTION; do case "$OPTION" in e) my_cd ="$OPTARG";; esac done if ; then echo " >>> ERROR - I am wrong" echo " >>> ERROR - Hello" exit 99 fi What I don't understand is what is OPTION or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RubinPat
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk explanation

Hello, I have recently come across this awk program. Can some one shed some light on what is taking place. awk '{!a++}END{for(i in a) if ( a >10 ) print a,i }' $FILE Best Regards, jaysunn (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation on egrep

Hi all I am new to egrep can someone please explain me what does the below Statement do egrep -v "^missing sales|^\ Thanks in advance Sri Please use next time code tags for your code and data (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getops usage in UNIX

I have a case where the script has to run in two modes as options and based on the mode, script excepts optional and mandatory arguments. script.sh -a -f <value1> -d <value2> -h <value3> script.sh -b -i <value4> a and b are the modes of the script execution. value2, value3 are optional.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksailesh1
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need explanation

Hi, I need more explination on it, how it works abcd="$(echo "$abcd" | sed 's/ //g')" >> ${LOGFILE} 2>&1 can any one suggest me on this? Rgds, LKR (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lakshmanraok
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Function explanation

dear sir, I am new to unix zone. need some explanation on the function used. cat /apps/prd/venue/code/bin/std.funcs #!/usr/bin/ksh #------------------------------------------------------------------- # printmsg: prints the message given in arg 1 with timestamp to # stdout... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamsoft
3 Replies
gvsdmgr(1M)															       gvsdmgr(1M)

NAME
gvsdmgr - utility to manage HP-UX Mass Storage Virtual HBAs claimed by HPVM Guest AVIO Storage driver (gvsd) SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
is a diagnostic utility to be used for managing virtual HBAs claimed by the GVSD driver. This command provides the ability to retrieve various configuration information, read and clear accumulated statistics of the virtual HBA and connected devices. requires the use of a device file to indicate the interface over which the requested command needs to be performed. Options and Arguments recognizes the following command-line options and arguments: This required argument specifies the device file. This option provides a brief description of the command. This option provides the target hardware path details corresponding to the persistent device file. See intro(7) for information about hardware path and persistent device files. Specifies the command's qualifiers. A command is defined by a set of qualifiers which must be specified after the command name. Each qualifier is proceeded by the option. The supported qualifiers are: (Valid only for the command.) Clears all statistics for the virtual HBA and all target devices. Specifies the target device, where: specifies all targets in the device file. tgt_id specifies a specific target in the device file. Commands recognizes the commands listed below. A command is defined by a set of qualifiers that are specified with the option. All command keywords are case-sensitive. When the command is run without qualifiers, it clears statistics of the virtual HBA represented by device_file. clears all statistics for the virtual HBA and all targets. clears statistics for all targets. clears statistics for a specific target. When the command is run without qualifiers, it returns information about the virtual HBA represented by device_file. Information returned by includes: target id, target path and the target state. shows target information for all targets. If the option is used here, then it displays target path hardware path. shows target information for a specific target. When the command is run without qualifiers, it shows statistics about the virtual HBA represented by device_file. Information returned by includes: per target opens, close, I/O related statistics, and asynchronous event related statistics. shows statistics for all targets. shows statistics for the specified target. Security Restrictions requires superuser privilege for execution. See privileges(5) for more information about privileged access on systems that support fine- grained privileges. EXAMPLES
Display adapter information of the virtual HBA whose device file is Display all target information of the virtual HBA whose device file is Clear statistics for a target with target id of the virtual HBA whose device file is AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
privileges(5), intro(7). gvsdmgr(1M)