Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: explanation of getops
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting explanation of getops Post 302192032 by cesarNZ on Tuesday 6th of May 2008 12:07:10 AM
Old 05-06-2008
explanation of getops

hi all,
i am trying to figure out what exactly does this chunk of code which sits in a shell script does. Am not very good at scripting so could someone explain what the below is/does ?? its a ksh (i.e #!/bin/ksh) and sits on a solaris 9 box.

REFRESH=FALSE

((C=0))
while getopts vrb:c:f: OPT
do
case $OPT in
r|-r) REFRESH=TRUE; ((C+=1)) ;;
esac
done

thanks in advance,
Cesar.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

tr explanation please

how does below tr command replace nonletters with newlines? I think I understand tr -cs '\n' part.. but what is A-Za-z\' <--- what is this?? tr -cs A-Za-z\' '\n' | -c --complement -s, --squeeze-repeats replace each input sequence of a repeated character that is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tr explanation please

how does below tr command replace nonletters with newlines? I think I understand tr -cs '\n' part.. but what is A-Za-z\' <--- what is this?? tr -cs A-Za-z\' '\n' | -c --complement -s, --squeeze-repeats replace each input sequence of a repeated character that is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

need explanation

Hi am having a c pgm. It has the include files (unistd.h,sys/types.h,win.h,scr.h,curses.h,stdarg.h and color.h). I don't know the purpose of these include files. will u plz explain me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mari.kb
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

In need of explanation

Its great someone provided this script that strips out a filename and extension but can someone explain how each line works? file1='Jane Mid Doe.txt' newfile='Jane.txt' 1) ext=${file1##*.} 2) filename=${file%%.???} 3) set -- $filename 4) newfile="1.$extension" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lillyt
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

code explanation

Can you please explain the following code plz? my_cd=' ' while getopts :e: OPTION; do case "$OPTION" in e) my_cd ="$OPTARG";; esac done if ; then echo " >>> ERROR - I am wrong" echo " >>> ERROR - Hello" exit 99 fi What I don't understand is what is OPTION or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RubinPat
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk explanation

Hello, I have recently come across this awk program. Can some one shed some light on what is taking place. awk '{!a++}END{for(i in a) if ( a >10 ) print a,i }' $FILE Best Regards, jaysunn (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation on egrep

Hi all I am new to egrep can someone please explain me what does the below Statement do egrep -v "^missing sales|^\ Thanks in advance Sri Please use next time code tags for your code and data (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getops usage in UNIX

I have a case where the script has to run in two modes as options and based on the mode, script excepts optional and mandatory arguments. script.sh -a -f <value1> -d <value2> -h <value3> script.sh -b -i <value4> a and b are the modes of the script execution. value2, value3 are optional.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksailesh1
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need explanation

Hi, I need more explination on it, how it works abcd="$(echo "$abcd" | sed 's/ //g')" >> ${LOGFILE} 2>&1 can any one suggest me on this? Rgds, LKR (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lakshmanraok
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Function explanation

dear sir, I am new to unix zone. need some explanation on the function used. cat /apps/prd/venue/code/bin/std.funcs #!/usr/bin/ksh #------------------------------------------------------------------- # printmsg: prints the message given in arg 1 with timestamp to # stdout... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamsoft
3 Replies
DWWW-REFRESH-CACHE(8)						      Debian						     DWWW-REFRESH-CACHE(8)

NAME
dwww-refresh-cache - rebuilds dwww cache directory SYNOPSIS
dwww-refresh-cache DESCRIPTION
dwww-refresh-cache is a simple shell script, which deletes outdated cache files and rebuilds contents of the dwww cache directory /var/cache/dwww. In default installation, the script is called from /etc/cron.daily/dwww, so the cache is refreshed every day. CONFIGURATION VARIABLES
DWWW_KEEPDAYS Specifies, how many days documents that have not been accessed should be kept in the cache. Default is 10 days. DWWW_QUICKFIND_DB Location of the installed packages and programs cache file, generated with help of dwww-quickfind(8). Default is /var/cache/dwww/quickfind.dat. DWWW_DOCBASE2PKG_DB Location of the cache file, which maps installed doc-base files to packages names, used by the dwww-build-menu(8). Default is /var/cache/dwww/docbase2pkg.dat. FILES
/etc/dwww/dwww.conf Configuration file for dwww(7). /var/cache/dwww dwww cache directory. /etc/cron.daily/dwww. dwww daily cron job SEE ALSO
dwww(7), dwww-build-menu(8), dwww-cache(8), dwww-find(8). AUTHOR
Robert Luberda. See dwww(7), for copyrights and stuff. dwww 1.11.1 February 15th, 2009 DWWW-REFRESH-CACHE(8)