Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: System call source code
Top Forums Programming System call source code Post 302191798 by gautamdheeraj on Monday 5th of May 2008 02:14:05 AM
Old 05-05-2008
For Code - you may use following link -
system.c

For taking a look at what happens after close - take a look at
CodeIdol - Thinking about Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment - File I O

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to differentiate system call from library call

Hi, Ho do I differentiate system call from library call? for example if I am using chmod , how do I find out if it is a system call or library call? Thanks Muru (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muru
2 Replies

2. Programming

c system call

How the c compiler differentiates the system calls and function calls? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rangaswamy
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System call code - nice()

Hi there, i'm trying to find the implementation code for the system call nice(). Since it's a system call i'm having problems finding where it would be? is it in the linux kernel directory somewhere? I would assume it would be a file called nice.c or something like this. Thanks in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sport23
2 Replies

4. Programming

system call

I have a cgi script which is called after certain time interval, which has this: system ("ls -l /tmp/cgic* | grep -v \"cgicsave.env\" | awk '{print $5}'"); During the execution of this script,the output is 0 sometimes. But due to this the system call is not working at all and doesnt o/p... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xs2punit
2 Replies

5. Programming

need help with system call

hi everyone i wrote a system call and compiled the kernel succesfully... my system call is in a file in the kernel folder named my_syscall1.c (kernel/my_syscall1.c) the header file for this system call i added it in the folder include like this include/my_syscall1/my_syscall1.h my problem is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: demis87
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

system call

Trying to figure out a load issue with a webserver. I have traced a php script and noticed the following connect(4, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(3306), sin_addr=inet_addr("XX.XX.XX.XX")}, 16) = -1 EINPROGRESS (Operation now in progress) <0.000035> poll(, 1, 2000) = 1 () <0.000120>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan007
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX/Perl script to call informatica source counts

Hi Guys, I am trying below condition . We are using Informatica 9.5 and scheduling certain informatica mapping on set timings .But we are not sure whether the database source table are latest or not .Since its gets updated on daily basis and not sure when it completes.Can we write any unix/perl... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
1 Replies
WHEREIS(1)							   User Commands							WHEREIS(1)

NAME
whereis - locate the binary, source, and manual page files for a command SYNOPSIS
whereis [options] [-BMS directory... -f] name... DESCRIPTION
whereis locates the binary, source and manual files for the specified command names. The supplied names are first stripped of leading pathname components and any (single) trailing extension of the form .ext (for example: .c) Prefixes of s. resulting from use of source code control are also dealt with. whereis then attempts to locate the desired program in the standard Linux places, and in the places specified by $PATH and $MANPATH. OPTIONS
-b Search only for binaries. -m Search only for manuals. -s Search only for sources. -u Only show the command names that have unusual entries. A command is said to be unusual if it does not have just one entry of each explicitly requested type. Thus 'whereis -m -u *' asks for those files in the current directory which have no documentation file, or more than one. -B list Limit the places where whereis searches for binaries, by a whitespace-separated list of directories. -M list Limit the places where whereis searches for manuals, by a whitespace-separated list of directories. -S list Limit the places where whereis searches for sources, by a whitespace-separated list of directories. -f Terminates the directory list and signals the start of filenames. It must be used when any of the -B, -M, or -S options is used. -l Output list of effective lookup paths the whereis is using. When non of -B, -M, or -S is specified the option will out hard coded paths that the command was able to find on system. EXAMPLE
To find all files in /usr/bin which are not documented in /usr/man/man1 or have no source in /usr/src: $ cd /usr/bin $ whereis -u -ms -M /usr/man/man1 -S /usr/src -f * FILE SEARCH PATHS
By default whereis tries to find files from hard-coded paths, which are defined with glob patterns. The command attempst to use contents of $PATH and $MANPATH environment variables as default search path. The easiest way to know what paths are in use is to add -l listing option. Effects of the -B, -M, and -S are display with -l. AVAILABILITY
The whereis command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux March 2013 WHEREIS(1)