Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: System call source code
Top Forums Programming System call source code Post 302191280 by ramkrix on Friday 2nd of May 2008 05:56:05 AM
Old 05-02-2008
Question System call source code

Hi,

1. Can anybode suggest me where to find the source code for system calls itself? Like open(), read(), close(). May I have the link or book where I can find the source code these functions itself?

2. When ever we quit a file or save and quit a file, the file content is stored in the disk. Internally, after putting the contents on the disk the kernal calls close() system call to close/quit the file. Am I right with what I said? please tell the alternative answer for what is happening inside on closing/quitting a file, if mine is wrong?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to differentiate system call from library call

Hi, Ho do I differentiate system call from library call? for example if I am using chmod , how do I find out if it is a system call or library call? Thanks Muru (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muru
2 Replies

2. Programming

c system call

How the c compiler differentiates the system calls and function calls? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rangaswamy
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System call code - nice()

Hi there, i'm trying to find the implementation code for the system call nice(). Since it's a system call i'm having problems finding where it would be? is it in the linux kernel directory somewhere? I would assume it would be a file called nice.c or something like this. Thanks in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sport23
2 Replies

4. Programming

system call

I have a cgi script which is called after certain time interval, which has this: system ("ls -l /tmp/cgic* | grep -v \"cgicsave.env\" | awk '{print $5}'"); During the execution of this script,the output is 0 sometimes. But due to this the system call is not working at all and doesnt o/p... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xs2punit
2 Replies

5. Programming

need help with system call

hi everyone i wrote a system call and compiled the kernel succesfully... my system call is in a file in the kernel folder named my_syscall1.c (kernel/my_syscall1.c) the header file for this system call i added it in the folder include like this include/my_syscall1/my_syscall1.h my problem is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: demis87
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

system call

Trying to figure out a load issue with a webserver. I have traced a php script and noticed the following connect(4, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(3306), sin_addr=inet_addr("XX.XX.XX.XX")}, 16) = -1 EINPROGRESS (Operation now in progress) <0.000035> poll(, 1, 2000) = 1 () <0.000120>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan007
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX/Perl script to call informatica source counts

Hi Guys, I am trying below condition . We are using Informatica 9.5 and scheduling certain informatica mapping on set timings .But we are not sure whether the database source table are latest or not .Since its gets updated on daily basis and not sure when it completes.Can we write any unix/perl... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
1 Replies
closefrom(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					     closefrom(3C)

NAME
closefrom, fdwalk - close or iterate over open file descriptors SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> void closefrom(int lowfd); int fdwalk(int (*func)(void *, int), void *cd); DESCRIPTION
The closefrom() function calls close(2) on all open file descriptors greater than or equal to lowfd. The effect of closefrom(lowfd) is the same as the code #include <sys/resource.h> struct rlimit rl; int i; getrlimit(RLIMIT_NOFILE, &rl); for (i = lowfd; i < rl.rlim_max; i++) (void) close(i); except that close() is called only on file descriptors that are actually open, not on every possible file descriptor greater than or equal to lowfd, and close() is also called on any open file descriptors greater than or equal to rl.rlim_max (and lowfd), should any exist. The fdwalk() function first makes a list of all currently open file descriptors. Then for each file descriptor in the list, it calls the user-defined function, func(cd, fd), passing it the pointer to the callback data, cd, and the value of the file descriptor from the list, fd. The list is processed in file descriptor value order, lowest numeric value first. If func() returns a non-zero value, the iteration over the list is terminated and fdwalk() returns the non-zero value returned by func(). Otherwise, fdwalk() returns 0 after having called func() for every file descriptor in the list. The fdwalk() function can be used for fine-grained control over the closing of file descriptors. For example, the closefrom() function can be implemented as: static int close_func(void *lowfdp, int fd) { if (fd >= *(int *)lowfdp) (void) close(fd); return(0); } void closefrom(int lowfd) { (void) fdwalk(close_func, &lowfd); } The fdwalk() function can then be used to count the number of open files in the process. RETURN VALUES
No return value is defined for closefrom(). If close() fails for any of the open file descriptors, the error is ignored and the file descriptors whose close() operation failed might remain open on return from closefrom(). The fdwalk() function returns the return value of the last call to the callback function func(), or 0 if func() is never called (no open files). ERRORS
No errors are defined. The closefrom() and fdwalk() functions do not set errno but errno can be set by close() or by another function called by the callback function, func(). FILES
/proc/self/fd directory (list of open files) USAGE
The act of closing all open file descriptors should be performed only as the first action of a daemon process. Closing file descriptors that are in use elsewhere in the current process normally leads to disastrous results. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
close(2), getrlimit(2), proc(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 27 Apr 2000 closefrom(3C)