Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Batch changing file extensions Post 302190416 by danmero on Tuesday 29th of April 2008 03:38:08 PM
Old 04-29-2008
era: you got me, my badSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File name extensions

Hello people, I was wondering if anyone could help me? I want to produce a shell script that changes the filename extension on all matching file. E.G. change all files called ‘something.rtf' to ‘something.doc' by giving the command: Changex rtf doc *where ‘Changex' is the name of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thurrock
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Truncate multiple file extensions

Hi, I have files with names like file1.txt.txt.txt.txt and file2.txt.txt.txt.txt.txt............ (random infinite number of .txt exist). how to truncate (mv) their names to ones with single .txt extension like file1.txt and file1.txt ? In other words, how to extract the filename upto first... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
12 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Batch Renaming: Change files' extensions in many sub-directories

Hi all - I'm trying to rename a large number of files all at once and need some help figuring out the command line syntax to do it. I've already done quite a bit of research with the rename and mv commands, but so far haven't found a solution that seems to work for me. So: The files exist... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave920
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing extensions for multiple files at once

I copied some files to another folder, and I want to change them from .doc extensions to .txt extensions. I tried using the cp and mv commands, but it didn't work. Is it possible to change file extensions with these commands, and if so how do I do it? I tried using the * wildcard (say cp *.doc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File extensions in a dir

Hi All, Is there a way to list all file extensions in a directory and its recursive dirs? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganga.dharan
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find all the unique file extensions

Hi How can i find the unique list of file extensions in a folder/subfolders e.g. MAIN/ a.txt b.txt a.clas a.java b.class a.txt.112 c.12.ram.jar i just need to get the below out irrespective of file being present in folder or subfolders txt clas java (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking file extensions

I am trying to store file with certain file extensions to list but having some problems. Here is a part of the code set fryLst = "" set fxtLst = "" foreach f ($AfullNameLst) set fname = $f:r set fext = $f:e if ("$fext" == ".ry") set fryLst = "$fryLst $f" if ("$fext" == ".xt")... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking file extensions

I'm in csh and have a list of file names, example set Lst = "file1.ry file2.ry file3.ry file4.ry" I want to check if all the extensions are ry. Is they are, I want to do something. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename file, add extensions

Hi Guys, I have files named myfileaa,myfileab,myfileac,myfilesad.... till myfileav. Now i needs to rename all these files to myfileaa.txt ,myfileab.txt,myfileac.txt. Please help me how to do the same. Thanks in advance..!!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaituteja
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove comments from file with specific file name extensions

Hello Unix board community, I have to program a shell script, but I am a complete noob so I hope I get some help here. The assignment is as follows: The program removes all comments regardless of formatting or language from files with specific file name extensions (php, css, js, ...).... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheZeusMan
3 Replies
ftpconfig(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     ftpconfig(1M)

NAME
ftpconfig - set up anonymous FTP SYNOPSIS
ftpconfig [ftpdir] ftpconfig -d ftpdir DESCRIPTION
The ftpconfig script is executed by the super user to set up anonymous FTP. Anonymous FTP allows users to remotely log on to the FTP server by specifying the user name ftp or anonymous and the user's email address as password. The anonymous users are logged on to the FTP Server and given access to a restricted file area with its own file system root. See chroot(2). The FTP area has its own minimal system files. This command will copy and set up all the components needed to operate an anonymous FTP server, including creating the ftp user account, creating device nodes, copying /usr/lib files, and copying timezone data. The passwd and group files set up have been stripped down to prevent malicious users from finding login names on the server. The anonymous file area will be placed under ftpdir. If the ftp user account already exists, then the current FTP area is used, and the system files in it are updated. All other files are left untouched. This command should be run to update the anonymous FTP area's configuration whenever a system patch is installed, or the system is upgraded. OPTIONS
-d Create a new or update an existing ftpdir without creating or updating the ftp user account. Use this option when creating guest FTP user accounts. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: ftpdir The absolute pathname of the directory under which the anonymous FTP area is set up. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion 1 Improper usage of the command 2 Command failed ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWftpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ftpaddhost(1M), in.ftpd(1M), useradd(1M), chroot(2), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 1 May 2003 ftpconfig(1M)