Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to? launch command with string of command line options Post 302190127 by era on Monday 28th of April 2008 06:06:46 PM
Old 04-28-2008
How exactly did you manage to produce that error message? It looks like you had double-quoted the whole command, where you shouldn't.

If you change it back to echo, doesn't ../combine-0.1 | sh do what you want?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Executing command line options

Can someone please tell me how to modify/add to this code so that it recognizes UNIX command options (all beginning with "-") and executes the command with options? #include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> int main(int argc, char *argv) { int i; system("stty -echo"); ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Safia
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Associated array from command line options

I am looking to populate an (associated) array with a command line argument. The command line would look something like this: alert -action test -priority '10' -module test_module . . . The associated array would look like this after the data is read in flag=(action=test priority=10... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jperret
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy a command string from the command line

How can we copy a command string from a previous command line and paste it into the cursor position on the current command line? I know that ^c will not work as the shell will interpret as an interrupt signal. Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using perl to get options from command line

Hi all, I want to get options from command line by perl. usage() options: -h Show this help message and exit -t Name of tester --timeout Set the timeout -l ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Damon_Qu
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run perl script, with command-line options

Hello everyone, I have a perl script which takes various command line options from user like : test.pl -i <input_file> -o <output_file> -d <value> -c <value> Now I have multiple input files in a directory: <input_file_1> <input_file_2> <input_file_3> <input_file_4> ..... .... ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with spaces in Java command line options

Hi, I am writing a shell script to build Java options dynamically in a variable array and pass them to java.exe. If an option value contains a space, I cannot find a way to get it interpreted correctly. Here is my example: #!/bin/bash JAVA_HOME=/opt/jvm/jre1.5.0_18 JAVA_OPTS=("-Xms256m... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Romain
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script file command line options

Being new to awk I have a really basic question. It just has to be in the archives but it didn't bite me when I went looking for it. I've written an awk script, placed it in a file, added the "#!/usr/bin/awk -f" at the top of the script and away I go. "% myAwk <inputfile>" gives me exactly what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomr2k
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running set options from the command line and bash command

I'm reading about debugging aids in bash and have come across the set command. It says in my little book that an addition to typing set you can also use them "on the command line when running a script..." and it lists this in a small table: set -o option Command Line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading command line options from bash script

I have the following code and I am calling it using ./raytrac.bash -u and getting problems. For some reason opt_usage is still 0. opt_usage=0 iarg=0 narg=$# while (($iarg < $narg)) do (( iarg = $iarg + 1 )) arg=$argv usrInputFlag=`echo $arg | awk '/=/ {print 1}; ! /=/... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
22 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing Multiple Arguments in Command Line Options

Hi All, I am new to scripting. Could you please assist me . Here is my requirement. I have written a script that has 2 option flags defined. -l) calls some function with the arguments passed in front of -l -r) calls second function with the arguments passed in front of -r *) calls the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jay Deshpande
7 Replies
echo(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   echo(1)

NAME
echo - Writes its arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
echo [-n] [string...] [Tru64 UNIX] The -n option is valid only if the environment variable CMD_ENV is set to bsd. Note The C shell has a built-in version of the echo command. If you are using the C shell, and want to guarantee that you are using the command described here, you must specify the full path /usr/bin/echo. See the csh(1) reference page for a description of the built-in command. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: echo: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
[Tru64 UNIX] No newline is added to the output. The -n option is valid only if the environment variable CMD_ENV is set to bsd. Otherwise any -n operand is treated as a string rather than as a option. See the printf(1) reference page for use in portable applications. OPERANDS
The string to be displayed on standard output. The echo command recognizes the following special characters in the string: Displays an alert character. Displays a backspace character. Suppresses the newline character. All characters following c in the arguments are ignored. Displays a formfeed character. Displays a newline character. Displays a carriage-return character. Displays a tab character. Displays a vertical tab character. Displays a backslash character. Displays an 8-bit character whose value is the 1-, 2- or 3-digit octal number, number. The first digit of number must be a 0 (zero). DESCRIPTION
The echo command writes the specified string to standard output, followed by a newline character. The arguments are separated by spaces. Use the echo command to produce diagnostic messages in command files and to send data into a pipe. If there are no arguments, the echo command outputs a newline character. [Tru64 UNIX] The echo command described here is the program /usr/bin/echo. Both csh and sh shells contain built-in echo subcommands, which do not necessarily work in the same way as the /usr/bin/echo command. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Successful completion. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To write a message to standard output, enter: echo Please insert diskette . . . To display a message containing special characters as listed in DESCRIPTION, enclose the message in quotes, as follows: echo " I'm at lunch. I'll be back at 1 p.m." This skips three lines and displays the message: I'm at lunch. I'll be back at 1 p.m. Note You must enclose the message in quotation marks if it contains escape sequences such as . Otherwise, the shell treats the back- slash () as an escape character. The previous command example, entered without the quotes, results in the following output: nnnI'm at lunch.nI'll be back at 1 p.m. To use echo with pattern-matching characters, enter: echo The back-up files are: *.bak This displays the message The back-up files are: and then displays the file names in the current directory ending with To add a sin- gle line of text to a file, enter: echo Remember to set the shell search path to $PATH. >>notes This adds the message to the end of the file notes after the shell substitutes the value of the PATH shell variable. To write a message to the standard error output (sh only), enter: echo Error: file already exists. >&2 Use this in shell procedures to write error messages. If the >&2 is omitted, then the message is written to the standard output. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of echo: [Tru64 UNIX] This variable must set to bsd for the -n option to be valid. Otherwise any -n operand is treated as a string member. Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), printf(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p) Environment: environ(5) Standards: standards(5) echo(1)