Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: .tar and .tar.gz
Operating Systems AIX .tar and .tar.gz Post 302189373 by thye on Friday 25th of April 2008 02:55:30 PM
Old 04-25-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
I would like to add that archiving and compressing are two distinct independent tasks. It is not very "UNIX-like" to combine distinct tasks into one tool, so GNU-tar, as handy as it may be, is a little bit against the cultural tradition of UNIX.

bakunin
I agreed GNU-tar is "against the cultural tradition of UNIX" but assume if we need to ftp many directory from one server into another every hours ??
1: maintain the dir
2: reduce the size so that FTP faster
By using GNU-tar it save us a lot of time,i believe.
In my environment we need to sync data between server in different country, this work the best.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does tar do crc checking on a tape or tar file?

Trying to answer a question about whether tar table-of-contents is a good tool for verifying tape data. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjlst15
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tar utility (untar a .tar file) on VxWorks

Hi All Can someone pls guide me if there any utility to compress file on windows & uncompress on vxworks I tried as - - compressed some folders on windows ... i created .tar ( to maintain directory structure ) and compressed to .gz format. - on VxWorks i have uncompressed it to .tar... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uday_01
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create a Tar of multiple Files in Unix and FTP the tar to Windows.

Hi, On my Unix Server in my directory, I have 70 files distributed in the following directories (which have several other files too). These files include C Source Files, Shell Script Source Files, Binary Files, Object Files. a) /usr/users/oracle/bin b) /usr/users/oracle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command dont tar to original directory

HI, if I have a tarfile called pmapdata.tar that contains tar -tvf pmapdata.tar -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 15 11:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap4628.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 14 20:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap23752.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 1625 Oct 13 20:00 2009... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do I need to extract the entire tar file to confirm the tar folder is fine?

I would like to confirm my file.tar is been tar-ed correctly before I remove them. But I have very limited disc space to untar it. Can I just do the listing instead of actual extract it? Can I say confirm folder integrity if the listing is sucessful without problem? tar tvf file1.tar ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivien_chu
1 Replies

8. AIX

Making Tar of directory and tar file is going to be placed

Quick question, is it possible to make a Tar of completely directory and placing the tar file in it (will this cause even the tar file to tarred ?) sample: /opt/freeware/bin/tar -cvf - /oracle | gzip > /oracle/backup.tgz will the tar file backup.tgz also include backup.tgz ? i tried... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
5 Replies

9. AIX

Tar - pre-checking before making the Tar file

Coming from this thread, just wondering if there is an option to check if the Tar of the files/directory will be without any file-errors without actually making the tar. Scenario: Let's say you have a directory of 20GB, but you don't have the space to make Tar file at the moment, and you want... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
14 Replies
SMBTAR(1)							   User Commands							 SMBTAR(1)

NAME
smbtar - shell script for backing up SMB/CIFS shares directly to UNIX tape drives SYNOPSIS
smbtar [-r] [-i] [-a] [-v] {-s server} [-p password] [-x services] [-X] [-N filename] [-b blocksize] [-d directory] [-l loglevel] [-u user] [-t tape] {filenames} DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the samba(7) suite. smbtar is a very small shell script on top of smbclient(1) which dumps SMB shares directly to tape. OPTIONS
-s server The SMB/CIFS server that the share resides upon. -x service The share name on the server to connect to. The default is "backup". -X Exclude mode. Exclude filenames... from tar create or restore. -d directory Change to initial directory before restoring / backing up files. -v Verbose mode. -p password The password to use to access a share. Default: none -u user The user id to connect as. Default: UNIX login name. -a Reset DOS archive bit mode to indicate file has been archived. -t tape Tape device. May be regular file or tape device. Default: $TAPE environmental variable; if not set, a file called tar.out . -b blocksize Blocking factor. Defaults to 20. See tar(1) for a fuller explanation. -N filename Backup only files newer than filename. Could be used (for example) on a log file to implement incremental backups. -i Incremental mode; tar files are only backed up if they have the archive bit set. The archive bit is reset after each file is read. -r Restore. Files are restored to the share from the tar file. -l log level Log (debug) level. Corresponds to the -d flag of smbclient(1). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The $TAPE variable specifies the default tape device to write to. May be overridden with the -t option. BUGS
The smbtar script has different options from ordinary tar and from smbclient's tar command. CAVEATS
Sites that are more careful about security may not like the way the script handles PC passwords. Backup and restore work on entire shares; should work on file lists. smbtar works best with GNU tar and may not work well with other versions. DIAGNOSTICS
See the DIAGNOSTICS section for the smbclient(1) command. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
smbd(8), smbclient(1), smb.conf(5). AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. Ricky Poulten wrote the tar extension and this man page. The smbtar script was heavily rewritten and improved by Martin Kraemer. Many thanks to everyone who suggested extensions, improvements, bug fixes, etc. The man page sources were converted to YODL format (another excellent piece of Open Source software, available at ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/) and updated for the Samba 2.0 release by Jeremy Allison. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter. The conversion to DocBook XML 4.2 for Samba 3.0 was done by Alexander Bokovoy. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 SMBTAR(1)