Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: .tar and .tar.gz
Operating Systems AIX .tar and .tar.gz Post 302189194 by grial on Friday 25th of April 2008 07:50:43 AM
Old 04-25-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
.tar is not compressed at all, it is just an archive format.
Exactly. A tar file is like a "package" but not compressed at all.
A .tar.gz (or .tgz in some cases) is just a gzip compressed tar file.
Quote:
Linux (GNU tar) has non-standard extensions added to tar that other implmentations of tar do not have.
In this case, that extension is the "z" flag. Have a look to gtar man pages.
Quote:
If the extra typing is a problem write a short shell script to do it.
For instance, in one line:
gzip -c myfile.tar.gz | tar xvf -
or
tar cvf - whatever | gzip -c > myfile.tar.gz
Regards.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does tar do crc checking on a tape or tar file?

Trying to answer a question about whether tar table-of-contents is a good tool for verifying tape data. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjlst15
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tar utility (untar a .tar file) on VxWorks

Hi All Can someone pls guide me if there any utility to compress file on windows & uncompress on vxworks I tried as - - compressed some folders on windows ... i created .tar ( to maintain directory structure ) and compressed to .gz format. - on VxWorks i have uncompressed it to .tar... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uday_01
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create a Tar of multiple Files in Unix and FTP the tar to Windows.

Hi, On my Unix Server in my directory, I have 70 files distributed in the following directories (which have several other files too). These files include C Source Files, Shell Script Source Files, Binary Files, Object Files. a) /usr/users/oracle/bin b) /usr/users/oracle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command dont tar to original directory

HI, if I have a tarfile called pmapdata.tar that contains tar -tvf pmapdata.tar -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 15 11:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap4628.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 14 20:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap23752.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 1625 Oct 13 20:00 2009... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do I need to extract the entire tar file to confirm the tar folder is fine?

I would like to confirm my file.tar is been tar-ed correctly before I remove them. But I have very limited disc space to untar it. Can I just do the listing instead of actual extract it? Can I say confirm folder integrity if the listing is sucessful without problem? tar tvf file1.tar ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivien_chu
1 Replies

8. AIX

Making Tar of directory and tar file is going to be placed

Quick question, is it possible to make a Tar of completely directory and placing the tar file in it (will this cause even the tar file to tarred ?) sample: /opt/freeware/bin/tar -cvf - /oracle | gzip > /oracle/backup.tgz will the tar file backup.tgz also include backup.tgz ? i tried... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
5 Replies

9. AIX

Tar - pre-checking before making the Tar file

Coming from this thread, just wondering if there is an option to check if the Tar of the files/directory will be without any file-errors without actually making the tar. Scenario: Let's say you have a directory of 20GB, but you don't have the space to make Tar file at the moment, and you want... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
14 Replies
virt-tar-in(1)						      Virtualization Support						    virt-tar-in(1)

NAME
virt-tar-in - Unpack a tarball into a virtual machine disk image. SYNOPSIS
virt-tar-in -a disk.img data.tar /destination virt-tar-in -d domain data.tar /destination zcat data.tar.gz | virt-tar-in -d domain - /destination WARNING
Using "virt-tar-in" on live virtual machines can be dangerous, potentially causing disk corruption. The virtual machine must be shut down before you use this command. DESCRIPTION
"virt-tar-in" unpacks an uncompressed tarball into a virtual machine disk image or named libvirt domain. The first parameter is the tar file. Use "-" to read the tar file from standard input. The second parameter is the absolute target directory to unpack into. EXAMPLES
Upload a home directory to a guest: virt-tar-in -d MyGuest homes.tar /home JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "tar-in" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-make-fs(1), virt-tar-out(1), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 virt-tar-in(1)