Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sort truncates line when they contain nulls Post 302187694 by massrobe on Monday 21st of April 2008 05:51:13 PM
Old 04-21-2008
jgrogan,
My file have x'0A' at end of each records.
thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GREPing for Nulls

I just had a filesystem / file corruption issue on my HSP's server due to disk capacity limits and fileswapping. I discovered that certain files got corrupted when fileswapping was not successful and they ended up with a string of control characters, or what I believe to be nulls, in them. Does... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dr. DOT
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

PS truncates the o/p

Hi , I have faced a strange situation in Solaris. the command ps -eo pid,args | grep 'SOMEPROCESS' truncates the output. outpt looks like 111 xxxxxxxxxxxxx SOMEPROCES 123 xxxxxxxxxxxxx SOMEPROCES 323 xxxxxxxxxxxxx SOMEPROCES The above doesn't return the complete command/args, infact if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: braindrain
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

who truncates the output? redirection? tty? Bug?

Hi, Output of running berkeley ps is truncated to 80 chars when using redirections. $ /usr/ucb/ps -e 12490|cat #truncated to 80 chars PID TT S TIME COMMAND 12490 pts/24 S 0:00 sleep 4000 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa getting longer lines is done by changing the stty $... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredy
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort a file line by line alphabetically

infile: z y x c b a desired output: x y z a b c I don't want to sort the lines into this: a b c x y z nor this: c b a z y x The number of fields per line and number of lines is indeterminate. The field separator is always a space. Thanks for the use of your collective brains.... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: H2OBoodle
11 Replies

5. Programming

Blanks vs: Nulls

I'm relatively new to Pro*C programming. In the following example: char name; EXEC SQL SELECT 'John Doe' INTO :name FROM DUAL; "John Doe" is in positions 0-7, blanks in 8-19, and a null in 20. I would really prefer the null to be in position 8 and I don't care what's after that. I wrote a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ebock
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

include NULLs in line length check

Hello, I am checking the length of each line of a fixed length file and making sure all lines are 161 length. My problem is that some files contain null characters which gets stripped out of my echo. How do I have the NULLs included in my check? (and I cannot replace or sub the NULL values with... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ironmix
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort a line and Insert sorted word(s) in a line

Hello, I am looking to automate a task - which is updating an existing access control instruction of a server and making sure that the attributes defined in the instruction is in sorted order. The instructions will be of a specific syntax. For example lets assume below listed is one of an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjayroc
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace nulls with a value in a file

Hi, I've a PIPE delimited file with about 5 fields. Sometimes the records in the 4th field is null, so I want to replace it based on values we get it on 2nd field in the same file. Following is an example. ABCD|X-TYPE 3.0|2010|X-TYPE|20000 CDEF|C-TYPE 2.5|2011|C-TYPE|10000 XYZ|LX... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

/usr/bin/expect script truncates data

I have a script on a Linux machine that connects remotely, via telnet on a windows machine to launch several commands and colect their output. On the Linux machine the output of these commands is redirected in a file. The script: #!/usr/bin/expect log_user 0 spawn telnet 10.10.10.10... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
6 Replies
WRAP-AND-SORT(1)					      General Commands Manual						  WRAP-AND-SORT(1)

NAME
wrap-and-sort - wrap long lines and sort items in Debian packaging files SYNOPSIS
wrap-and-sort [options] DESCRIPTION
wrap-and-sort wraps the package lists in Debian control files. By default the lists will only split into multiple lines if the entries are longer than 80 characters. wrap-and-sort sorts the package lists in Debian control files and all .install files. Beside that wrap-and-sort removes trailing spaces in these files. This script should be run in the root of a Debian package tree. It searches for control, control.in, copyright, copyright.in, install, and *.install in the debian directory. OPTIONS
-h, --help Show this help message and exit. -a, --wrap-always Wrap all package lists in the Debian control file even if the entries are shorter than 80 characters and could fit in one line line. -s, --short-indent Only indent wrapped lines by one space (default is in-line with the field name). -b, --sort-binary-packages Sort binary package paragraphs by name. -k, --keep-first When sorting binary package paragraphs, leave the first one at the top. Unqualified debhelper(7) configuration files are applied to the first package. -n, --no-cleanup Do not remove trailing whitespaces. -d path, --debian-directory=path Location of the debian directory (default: ./debian). -f file, --file=file Wrap and sort only the specified file. You can specify this parameter multiple times. All supported files will be processed if no files are specified. -v, --verbose Print all files that are touched. AUTHORS
wrap-and-sort and this manpage have been written by Benjamin Drung <bdrung@debian.org>. Both are released under the ISC license. DEBIAN
Debian Utilities WRAP-AND-SORT(1)