Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris What command can display files in a tree? Post 302187300 by jlliagre on Sunday 20th of April 2008 03:17:58 PM
Old 04-20-2008
You can save some keystrokes:
Code:
find .  | sed -e 's;[^/]*/;|____;g;s;____|; |;g'

This User Gave Thanks to jlliagre For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tree command

In DOS, to get the complete directory structure, we use 'TREE' command.. can anyone tell me what is the equivalent command in Unix I am using SunOS ABC 5.8 Generic_117350-18 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240 thanks.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wip_vasikaran
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy directory tree with files

Iam in the process of copying a directory with thousands of directories and files into a new directory. I need to preserve permissions, owner, group, date and timestamps, everything. Iam using AIX and would need help of writing the command whether it is cp-RP or cpio. Apprecaite your... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baanprog
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tree command

How can i install tree command in ubundu without root ? I have found some shell script which does the same job as tree but i would like to get all the options in tree command thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvj
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Likely charset issue with tree command?

Hi All I'm using a tree command in a script that for me outputs:- | - - DIRECTORYNAME However a different user is getting the following output:- aaa (actually with an umlat above them) DIRECTORYNAME I'm not sure where this could be coming from, any ideas anyone? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Tree as alias command

Hi, I have this command: ls -R | grep ":$" | sed -e 's/:$//' -e 's/*\//--/g' -e 's/^/ /' -e 's/-/|/' Works nicely to show the current file structure as a tree. I'd like to have it as an alias in '' but doesn't work just like that and I can't fix it with backslashes: alias tree='?' ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: borobudur
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using tree to display only certain directories

I want to use tree to display the directory tree. It is easy to use tree -d -L 2 However I would like to run it on specific list of directories. Can such a thing be performed? Example: /media/academic-repo/chrisd/literature tree -d prose -L 2 prose ├── computer-technology... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on ps tree listing command - Linux/Solaris

Hi all, Can any guru please help on how I can tweak the following ps command so that it only shows the lines that I wanted. $ command ps -HAcl -F S -A f F S UID PID PPID CLS PRI ADDR SZ WCHAN RSS PSR STIME TTY TIME CMD 4 S root 1 0 TS 24 - 2592 ? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using ls command to display files for range of values only

Hi Forum. I tried to search the forum for an answer but couldn't find it. I have the following files in my directory: PROFILE_TXN_61647.dat PROFILE_TXN_61648.dat PROFILE_TXN_61649.dat PROFILE_TXN_61650.dat PROFILE_TXN_61651.dat PROFILE_TXN_61652.dat PROFILE_TXN_61653.dat... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tree command does not print properly

Hi, when I run tree command in linux box getting below image, not the line test âââ lost+found âââ test1 â  âââ aaa.txt â  âââ bbb.txt âââ test2 3 directories, 2 files installed tree-1.5.3-2.el6.x86_64 package (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run a script/command on all the directories in a directory tree?

How to run a script/command on all the directories in a directory tree? The below script is just for the files in a single directory, how to run it on all the directories in a directory tree? #!/bin/sh for audio_files in *.mp3 do outfile="${audio_files%.*}.aiff" sox "$audio_files"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: temp-usr
2 Replies
ar.h(3HEAD)							      Headers							       ar.h(3HEAD)

NAME
ar.h, ar - archive file format SYNOPSIS
#include <ar.h> DESCRIPTION
The archive command ar is used to combine several files into one. Archives are used mainly as libraries to be searched by the link editor ld. Each archive begins with the archive magic string. #define ARMAG "!<arch> " /* magic string */ #define SARMAG 8 /* length of magic string */ Following the archive magic string are the archive file members. Each file member is preceded by a file member header which is of the fol- lowing format: #define ARFMAG "` " /* header trailer string */ struct ar_hdr /* file member header */ { char ar_name[16]; /* '/' terminated file member name */ char ar_date[12]; /* file member date */ char ar_uid[6] /* file member user identification */ char ar_gid[6] /* file member group identification */ char ar_mode[8] /* file member mode (octal) */ char ar_size[10]; /* file member size */ char ar_fmag[2]; /* header trailer string */ }; All information in the file member headers is in printable ASCII. The numeric information contained in the headers is stored as decimal numbers (except for ar_mode which is in octal). Thus, if the archive contains printable files, the archive itself is printable. If the file member name fits, the ar_name field contains the name directly, and is terminated by a slash (/) and padded with blanks on the right. If the member's name does not fit, ar_name contains a slash (/) followed by a decimal representation of the name's offset in the ar- chive string table described below. The ar_date field is the modification date of the file at the time of its insertion into the archive. Common format archives can be moved from system to system as long as the portable archive command ar is used. Each archive file member begins on an even byte boundary; a newline is inserted between files if necessary. Nevertheless, the size given reflects the actual size of the file exclusive of padding. Notice there is no provision for empty areas in an archive file. Each archive that contains object files (see a.out(4)) includes an archive symbol table. This symbol table is used by the link editor ld to determine which archive members must be loaded during the link edit process. The archive symbol table (if it exists) is always the first file in the archive (but is never listed) and is automatically created and/or updated by ar. The archive symbol table has a zero length name (that is, ar_name[0] is '/'), ar_name[1]==' ', etc.). All ``words'' in this symbol table have four bytes, using the machine-independent encoding shown below. All machines use the encoding described here for the symbol table, even if the machine's ``natural'' byte order is different. 0 1 2 3 0x01020304 01 02 03 04 The contents of this file are as follows: 1. The number of symbols. Length: 4 bytes. 2. The array of offsets into the archive file. Length: 4 bytes * ``the number of symbols''. 3. The name string table. Length: ar_size - 4 bytes * (``the number of symbols'' + 1). As an example, the following symbol table defines 4 symbols. The archive member at file offset 114 defines name. The archive member at file offset 122 defines object. The archive member at file offset 426 defines function and the archive member at file offset 434 defines name2. Example Symbol Table Offset +0 +1 +2 +3 ___________________ 0 | 4 | 4 offset entries |___________________| 4 | 114 | name |___________________| 8 | 122 | object |___________________| 12 | 426 | function |___________________| 16 | 434 | name2 |___________________| 20 | n | a | m | e | |____|____|____|____| 24 | | o | b | j | |____|____|____|____| 28 | e | c | t | | |____|____|____|____| 32 | f | u | n | c | |____|____|____|____| 36 | t | i | o | n | |____|____|____|____| 40 | | n | a | m | |____|____|____|____| 44 | e | 2 | | | |____|____|____|____| The string table contains exactly as many null terminated strings as there are elements in the offsets array. Each offset from the array is associated with the corresponding name from the string table (in order). The names in the string table are all the defined global symbols found in the common object files in the archive. Each offset is the location of the archive header for the associated symbol. If some archive member's name is more than 15 bytes long, a special archive member contains a table of file names, each followed by a slash and a new-line. This string table member, if present, will precede all ``normal'' archive members. The special archive symbol table is not a ``normal'' member, and must be first if it exists. The ar_name entry of the string table's member header holds a zero length name ar_name[0]=='/', followed by one trailing slash (ar_name[1]=='/'), followed by blanks (ar_name[2]==' ', etc.). Offsets into the string ta- ble begin at zero. Example ar_name values for short and long file names appear below. Offset +0 +1 +2 +3 +4 +5 +6 +7 +8 +9 __________________________________________________ 0 | f | i | l | e | _ | n | a | m | e | _ | |____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____| 10 | s | a | m | p | l | e | / | | l | o | |____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____| 20 | n | g | e | r | f | i | l | e | n | a | |____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____| 30 | m | e | x | a | m | p | l | e | / | | |____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____|____| Member Name ar_name _______________________________________________________________ short-name | short-name/ | Not in string table | | file_name_sample | /0 | Offset 0 in string table | | longerfilenamexample | /18 | Offset 18 in string table _____________________|______________|___________________________ SEE ALSO
ar(1), ld(1), strip(1), a.out(4) NOTES
The strip utility will remove all archive symbol entries from the header. The archive symbol entries must be restored with the -ts options of the ar command before the archive can be used with the link editor ld. SunOS 5.10 1 Jul 1998 ar.h(3HEAD)